Red Wings at the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Following the pattern of last year, I predict Petry for Pookie and a defensive prospect not named Kindl (Sproul, maybe Smith, Marchenko makes no sense, RHD, but stranger things have happened)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Green, Martin, Franson, Ehrhoff, Boychuk, Petry all scheduled to hit free agency.

I think that Franson and Boychuk probably will extend and not make it. Have to figure one of Ehrhoff or Martin has a good chance of hitting free agency? Martin can play the right side, that could be a really nice addition. Green would be ideal, I'd be so pumped if we landed him.

Last edited:

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Is the need for RHD's just to become more unpredictable during the PP? (which is already among the top in the NHL) and get faster outlet passes in the own zone along the boards etc? Maybe get better/faster rythm when putting pressure in the O-zone?

What are the main reasons, and the biggest reason? Is it more important with getting a RHD than getting a LHD? (imagine the scenario that the LHD would be better than the RHD player they could get)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Listened to TSN Insider and they said new Coyotes owner looking to blow team up and re-build. Said they are looking to move Vermette, Yandle, Michalek. Wonder if we could get Michalek for cheap since he's been hurt a lot lately.

They also said Winnipeg is looking to move a defenseman for a 3rd line winger (RW), though they did not say who. You guys want Weiss?????? ;)

Last edited:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I think you underestimate Smith and his potential ceiling. That said I don't think he will be traded.
Says the guy that thinks DeKeyser is going to be better than Kronwall? I'm very interested to see what you have to say about Smith's potential ceiling. Because at 160 NHL games that ceiling is getting shorter. And shorter. And shorter.

Actual Thought*

Says the guy that thinks DeKeyser is going to be better than Kronwall? I'm very interested to see what you have to say about Smith's potential ceiling. Because at 160 NHL games that ceiling is getting shorter. And shorter. And shorter.

Your condecension is noted. However so is your player assessment.:sarcasm:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't think Smith has any value. Every team has a guy like him. He's an "offensive" defender, age 25 (almost 26), with 7 points. Look around, you can't swing a cat without finding guys like him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think Smith has any value. Every team has a guy like him. He's an "offensive" defender, age 25 (almost 26), with 7 points. Look around, you can't swing a cat without finding guys like him.

that depends entirely on the size of the cat. Point noted, though. His biggest assets are that he's cheap and still has an RFA year left at the end of this deal. I can see that being appealing to a team like Phoenix.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
jurco, smith and a 2016 1st for yandle?

would that do it?
not be enough?
be too much?
Arizona will want more, considering Yandle as their future captain, and Detroit better passes as well. While I deem Smith expendable, I'd hate Detroit to give up their first round pick and Jurco, who has the potential to be valuable on any given line. Yandle is a good, perhaps even very good player, but he will be an UFA next year and other good defencemen will be available for similar salaries this summer. Neither are the Red Wings' defence and PP units not that bad nor is Yandle that good to warrant such a sacrifice.

Gruß,
BSHH

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Arizona will want more, considering Yandle as their future captain, and Detroit better passes as well. While I deem Smith expendable, I'd hate Detroit to give up their first round pick and Jurco, who has the potential to be valuable on any given line. Yandle is a good, perhaps even very good player, but he will be an UFA next year and other good defencemen will be available for similar salaries this summer. Neither are the Red Wings' defence and PP units not that bad nor is Yandle that good to warrant such a sacrifice.

Gruß,
BSHH

I 100% disagree with the notion that Dman as good or better than Yandle will ever become available consistently in free agency

At absolute best the only comparable would be Mike Green and as he being the best of the group by a long shot will get a 7 year deal at 7 million from any one of a number of teams this summer.

If we want a true puck moving young dman who can grow with this franchise for years and years to come it has to come via trade or through the draft

I think that offer is spot on with the values shown in the Kesler, Spezza or Ryan trades and the NHL is so very predictable. If the Yotes truly enter a full rebuild this is the "kind" of offer they will be seeking

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Some fatalistic Sharks fans are talking about full-on rebuilding and mention Burns as a target. I doubt those thoughts are shared by SJ Brass but it'd be interesting if true.
Wonder how hard Babs would campaign for bringing in Burns considering his comments when SJ acquired him.

Also I haven't seen much speculation about Babs heading to San Jose. I could definitely see a coaching position opening up there and Babs having interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad