Red Wings at the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Hi guys, I'm working on a piece about teams looking to be buyers at the deadline. The Wings are in a good position to make a move to boost their roster for a deep playoff push but what parts of your team do you think need the most improvement?

Also, which assets would you be willing to give up to acquire those new players?

I think an interesting way to write your article would be to state that.

Detroit is a contender to make noise in the playoffs WHILE rebuilding.

They are keeping draft picks.
They are drafting well.
They have been doing so since 2008, and developing their prospects slowly and methodically (increasing their success?)
They are starting to join the team now.
The team is now Z, D, Kronwall, Franzen, and Basically all the young players we have drafted.
We would like to trade to add, but at the same time, we are becoming thin on NHL caliber prospects (since most are here).

Only real pieces of value are the current young roster players, draft picks, Mantha, Larkin, Pulkinnen. Everyone else is a hope to make the NHL.

Holland is likely to try to add a RHD, and keep these assets.
I doubt he would make a move for a "Barrie" equivalent.

That kind of bold move i doubt we would do. But who knows.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Yeah we have a glut of NHL potential players most of whom fit on a 3rd/4th line at F and 2nd/3rd line at D. Yet all are unproven therefore have next to no trade value.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
it would be neat to make a"prediction thread" whereby you call the exact trade(s) Holland will make and you can only make one trade prediction

mine is

pulkinnen, kindl and a 4th rd in 2016 pick to new jersey for zidlicky

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
I am very high on Barrie, but I can't imagine that the Aves will part with him. They have the same general needs as the Wings which makes them bad trade partners. Elliot is an interesting choice. At one time I really expected him to establish himself as an NHL player. Holland probably sees him as a slightly more experienced Sproul...perhaps too duplicative?

Barrie is young and talented fits our need right away with room to improve. I'd give up Sproul, Bertuzzi +1st or a similar value.

The Avs get two guys that can hopefully play in 1-3 years and Sproul specifically because he replaces the offense upside and position (RHD) that Barrie occupies, also opening some cap room for them.

I don't think they NEED any of these things so there ask would be greater than what I have listed but that's all I'd be willing to part with.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Barrie is young and talented fits our need right away with room to improve. I'd give up Sproul, Bertuzzi +1st or a similar value.

The Avs get two guys that can hopefully play in 1-3 years and Sproul specifically because he replaces the offense upside and position (RHD) that Barrie occupies, also opening some cap room for them.

I don't think they NEED any of these things so there ask would be greater than what I have listed but that's all I'd be willing to part with.

Interesting. Thanks for your response. I was just asking to get a gauge of what his value is at the moment.

It's crazy to think just two summers ago his value was much, much less.

The difference between Barrie and Elliott, to me anyways, is a confidence thing. Elliott seems shell shocked with puck and that's keeping him out of the NHL. His offensive instincts are there, his shot is NHL caliber and has been for a while, but his decision making is preventing him from taking the next step.

He has been improving this year though but the Avs' right side seems locked up for a long time.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nothing, Petry, or panic move because of injuries.

3 scenarios we have.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
For some reason I thought Petry was younger than he is.

Anyway, I think that's around the player you can expect us to make a move for. Player being defenseman. I think Wings will be looking mainly for guys who either has a year left, or a guy they think they can/they want to re-sign. I don't see us going after veteran rentals.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
All of our scraps and rejects for something amazing. Like a top 6 powerforward and/or top 4 RHD that can move the puck and score goals at will... and he must be big and mean/gritty/physical too.

Kindl, Andersson, Lashoff and one of Cleary or McCollum. Prefer not to give up any draft picks, but you can make your proposal to throw a few our way, could use a 2015 3rd rounder.

GrimWings

#Greenforpresident
Jun 28, 2014
Right here
Stephen Weiss waives his NTC and goes to edmonton for petry. (Plus Cleary gets sent down to GR and gets claimed on waivers) :)

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I just don't see Holland make a big move, he is not looking to sell the farm for a shot at a cup this year and right now it looks like the playoff streak will stay alive and well for another year so there is really no reason to make a big move.

sakei

Anti-Kindl-Brigade
May 19, 2014
Zurich
All of our scraps and rejects for something amazing. Like a top 6 powerforward and/or top 4 RHD that can move the puck and score goals at will... and he must be big and mean/gritty/physical too.

Kindl, Andersson, Lashoff and one of Cleary or McCollum. Prefer not to give up any draft picks, but you can make your proposal to throw a few our way, could use a 2015 3rd rounder.

would you give up nyquist for kindl-calibre players? no? oh what a surprise...
we wont get anything in return for the players you listed, those are just the package-players we can add to a trade to get rid of them.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

I can't tell if this is a joke or not. You can't pile up crap on top of crap and expect it to add up to gold. But a lot of people think you can. Which is why there is always enormous pushback whenever someone mentions the possibility of having to give up someone like Tatar to get one of those coveted top4 RHD. 10 Clearys do not add up to a Tatar. Hell, at a certain point, you're just making the package worse by adding garbage. 10 Clearys take up roster spots and cap space for a serviceable at best player. Which is what McCollum, Cleary, Lashoff, Kindl, and Andersson all are at this point.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
No move at the deadline but Holland snipes Green during the off-season and he signs here.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No move at the deadline but Holland snipes Green during the off-season and he signs here.

Holland sign a good free agent defenseman?

leo-laughing.gif

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Ok, it makes sense that Holland will sign Petry as a ufa, rather then give anything up for him now, since hes from here etc etc...

That only gives us one right handed puck moving defencemen, we need one more.

Perhaps a few names people haven't mentioned too much, that are righties, off teams that wont make the playoffs that we could pick up at the deadline:

-Justin Faulk-Hurricanes.
-Erik Johnson-Avalanche

I know The avs arent that far out of the playoffs but i see them not making it and expect them to fall out of the race.

I realize it might not happen, and they might be costly, but i would consider moving any of these players and assets:

-1st,2nd pick in 15, yes i know the first round is suppose to be good, but you have to give to get
-Pulkinnen, marchenko, jenson, sproul, nylen, janmark, bachman, AA2, jurco, kindl(capdump), smith

I hate giving up some of these guys, especially pulkinnen and jurco but you have to give to get.

You would enter next years season with the following pairs:

Kronwall-faulk
dekyser-petry
erricson-quincey
oulette

If quincey walks put oullete in his place, he should be in the top 6 anyways...Its not awesome but we would better, and the def would generate more offense and spend less time in our own zone...better passing and balance due to the R-L handed complement

Again there are better choices for defenseman but these haven't been talked about too much.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Again there are better choices for defenseman but these haven't been talked about too much.

Neither have been talked about because they won't be available. You're not getting Justin Faulk or Erik Johnson for draft picks and b-level prospects.

sakei

Anti-Kindl-Brigade
May 19, 2014
Zurich
Ok, it makes sense that Holland will sign Petry as a ufa, rather then give anything up for him now, since hes from here etc etc...

That only gives us one right handed puck moving defencemen, we need one more.

Perhaps a few names people haven't mentioned too much, that are righties, off teams that wont make the playoffs that we could pick up at the deadline:

-Justin Faulk-Hurricanes.
-Erik Johnson-Avalanche

I know The avs arent that far out of the playoffs but i see them not making it and expect them to fall out of the race.

I realize it might not happen, and they might be costly, but i would consider moving any of these players and assets:

-1st,2nd pick in 15, yes i know the first round is suppose to be good, but you have to give to get
-Pulkinnen, marchenko, jenson, sproul, nylen, janmark, bachman, AA2, jurco, kindl(capdump), smith

I hate giving up some of these guys, especially pulkinnen and jurco but you have to give to get.

You would enter next years season with the following pairs:

Kronwall-faulk
dekyser-petry
erricson-quincey
oulette

If quincey walks put oullete in his place, he should be in the top 6 anyways...Its not awesome but we would better, and the def would generate more offense and spend less time in our own zone...better passing and balance due to the R-L handed complement

Faulk is 22 and a key player on a rebuilding team.. do you think theyre going to move him for a pile of crap?

Johnson is just entering his prime at 26, no chance of this happening. We would have to give up Tatar, a 1st and high-end prospects to even open the talks about any player in the Faulk-Johnson range

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
What about trading with Calgary for Dennis Wideman? There are worse ideas out there especially if Calgary fall out of the play-off race. I imagine we will go with Petry or Wideman if we do decide to stick out a trade. Value propositions vs overpriced other guys.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
What about trading with Calgary for Dennis Wideman? There are worse ideas out there especially if Calgary fall out of the play-off race. I imagine we will go with Petry or Wideman if we do decide to stick out a trade. Value propositions vs overpriced other guys.

Wideman is a BIG upgrade over Petry :)

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Faulk is 22 and a key player on a rebuilding team.. do you think theyre going to move him for a pile of crap?

Johnson is just entering his prime at 26, no chance of this happening. We would have to give up Tatar, a 1st and high-end prospects to even open the talks about any player in the Faulk-Johnson range

It's a shame people don't carefully read posts more before throwing down attitude. Please re-read the post.

If you were to add up the better assets and picks you would have the following:
1st, 2nd round picks. Brendan smith. T Jurco, T. Pulkinnen...How are those pieces a pile of crap?

I'm not saying I would give up all those pieces at once, but if a gm had a choice of adding up a bunch or the majority of those pieces is he just going to say its combined junk? Those teams may very we'll decide they don't want to trade those players, you can't call those pieces just listed in this post junk.

Carolina would be smart to hold onto a good young damn like Faulk, but of they by a combo of those pieces above feel they could improve their team in the long run(they are not contending anytime soon IMO) then they should consider it. I don't see holland taking the risk to obtain either guy this season. I do understand with the year Johnson is having he would cost lots.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
It's a shame people don't carefully read posts more before throwing down attitude. Please re-read the post.

If you were to add up the better assets and picks you would have the following:
1st, 2nd round picks. Brendan smith. T Jurco, T. Pulkinnen...How are those pieces a pile of crap?

I'm not saying I would give up all those pieces at once, but if a gm had a choice of adding up a bunch or the majority of those pieces is he just going to say its combined junk? Those teams may very we'll decide they don't want to trade those players, you can't call those pieces just listed in this post junk.

Carolina would be smart to hold onto a good young damn like Faulk, but of they by a combo of those pieces above feel they could improve their team in the long run(they are not contending anytime soon IMO) then they should consider it. I don't see holland taking the risk to obtain either guy this season. I do understand with the year Johnson is having he would cost lots.

I am not sure how big a fan you are of Carolina. But the few times I have visited their board. This is the sense i get:

Faulk > Skinner > Staal-Staal

In their minds Faulk is their #1 asset. Build around him. He is their Nyquist... infact he is more important than Nyquist (to Carolina) than Nyquist is to us.

I do not think anyone was directly trying to say the pieces you described are really bad. By "pile of junk" he meant in RELATION TO. Faulk. Who is a very very expensive commodity. I see no chance in their team moving that player. We could grab Skinner easier. Or E. Staal.

Also I think E. Johnson and T. Barrie are likely the only decent D men on Col. I don't think those guys will be traded either. Like 0% chance. I mean i would love those guys. I just know that that conversation begins with Nyquist / Tatar to get these D men and we would be adding (alot).

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
this team not going to win cup so maybe we should be sellers. What can we get for Kinde ? 3rd round pic, Franzen ? 2 round Erikson? 2nd . I don't believe it is going to happed , but I think it is makes sense especially if we could eplace them with AHLers. Who knows maybe we could got someone like Linstrom or Zetterberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad