Post-Game Talk: Red Wings - 14 Penguins - 64

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Hornqvist's effort is great but it's a double edged sword because playing that hard and going to the net that hard all the time is tough on the body. There's a reason Crosby doesn't do a whole lot of that any more. If you're not built like a human tank you're going to get hurt playing like that. It's just inevitable.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh's remaining schedule:

Stars (32-28-10) OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS
Coyotes (21-40-8) OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS
Blues (44-20-5)
Hurricanes (26-34-8) OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS
Coyotes (21-40-8) OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS
Sharks (34-27-8) OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS
Flyers (29-27-15) OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS
Blue Jackets (30-35-4) OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS
Flyers (29-27-15) OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS
Senators (33-24-11) OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS
Islanders (43-24-4)
Sabres (19-43-6) OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS

TWO of the remaining TWELVE games are against teams currently in the playoffs. As you can see by the records some are not bad per se, but honestly it must be the most cake schedule remaining of any playoff bound team.

Get ready for the grand illusion as the Pens win at least 7 of those 12 and maybe as high as 9 or 10. Then suddenly some may believe beating up on 12 year old girls makes us tough again. Rational minds will know that this weekend may not have been the real Pens either, but it certainly will not be the team that kicks sand in the faces of a bunch of ten year olds and beats their chest like they are great.

Last edited:

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
tumblr_nl9m1u1Lt51r6f9y3o1_500.gif

I wonder what was so funny to Sid at that point at the game.

I've never seen a captain of a team down 4-0 and find something so ****ing humorous during a game like that.

Really makes me question Sid...a lot. I could see guys like Stevens, Tocchet, or Trottier back in the day punching a teammate in the head and reaming their ass out for doing something like that.

I'm expecting the captain of my team to be pissed off, mad, and getting his teammates fired up to go out there and fight back in the game, just like Edmonton did against us a few days ago. Instead Sid is there laughing it up with the ref like he gives no ****s and is at def comedy jam.

:shakehead

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

I've never seen a captain of a team down 4-0 and find something so ****ing humorous during a game like that.

Really makes me question Sid...a lot. I could see guys like Stevens, Tocchet, or Trottier back in the day punching a teammate in the head and reaming their ass out for doing something like that.

I'm expecting the captain of my team to be pissed off, mad, and getting his teammates fired up to go out there and fight back in the game, just like Edmonton did against us a few days ago. Instead Sid is there laughing it up with the ref like he gives no ****s and is at def comedy jam.

Yeah, he is the Captain and that entails some responsibility.

But that said the coach is a pathetic pile of estrogen. MJ should be the one who sticks up for 'his' team. MJ should be talking to the refs, the media, whatever the situation calls for. I am not calling for him to become an idiot like Torts did, but there are times and places to speak out and show a team that you will back them.

AND there is a time to play hardball with players, including stars when called for.

MJ can not coach this team and be everyone's 'friend' and be effective.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Jesus he's just laughing. For all we know somebody on the bench or the ref said something really funny.

He was one of few who played well today. I think that means more than him having a chuckle. Good god the over-reactions about such a small thing. He's a human, not a robot. Relax folks.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Yeah, he is the Captain and that entails some responsibility.

But that said the coach is a pathetic pile of estrogen. MJ should be the one who sticks up for 'his' team. MJ should be talking to the refs, the media, whatever the situation calls for. I am not calling for him to become an idiot like Torts did, but there are times and places to speak out and show a team that you will back them.

AND there is a time to play hardball with players, including stars when called for.

MJ can not coach this team and be everyone's 'friend' and be effective.

Agree with you here but that's another argument in itself. MJ to me would be a solid assistant. He's smart. He's a thinker. He's also a guy who can't command the respect of the team and lead them IMO at least from what I've seen. Babcock rips his team a new ass after losing bad and they come out the next day and rip us one. We'll never see that from MJ. Remember his speeches in November when we played the Isles, Rangers, and others and he said it was a test for the playoffs? What did we do? We lost every game. It was laughable.

That said, this team no longer has a Guerin. No Roberts. There is no veteran for the young guns to look up to. They are the veterans that are supposed to lead the team. When your team is down 4-0 in a ****show where you're getting clowned on the ice by the other team and by the officials with about 45 minutes to go, the message he sends the team is it's funny and I don't give a ****. Again, not what I expect out of a captain of any hockey team being down 4-0 with enough time left in the game to crawl back in it like Edmonton, the 2nd worst team in the league, did against us only a few nights earlier.

In that moment, I saw a lot about Sid and the leadership and culture of this team that turned me off. We have no identity whatsoever on this team except to fall apart with no discipline and have no fortitude when the times get tough. That's the only identity on this team I see and it's been going on for years.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Jesus he's just laughing. For all we know somebody on the bench or the ref said something really funny.

He was one of few who played well today. I think that means more than him having a chuckle. Good god the over-reactions about such a small thing. He's a human, not a robot. Relax folks.

Down 4-0 you really shouldn't be finding **** funny.

I don't remember exactly but I believe that may have been right after Letang was tossed out of the game also. Hey, throw out our best D. That was funny as ****! Woooo!

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Down 4-0 you really shouldn't be finding **** funny.

So him being one of the few players actually showing a pulse is meaningless but him briefly laughing on the bench is a huge deal? Ok then.

If you think these guys who play 3 games a week are somber and depressed just because they are losing then you have crazy expectations. You don't even know what happened that made him laugh. It's a non-issue.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You guys can't be serious about Crosby laughing, right?

I'm 100% sure he just made a sarcastic remark to the ref and was mock laughing about the ridiculous calls. I did that more than a few times times when the refs were being dbags. None of you have ever sat on a bench and made a sarcastic comment to a ref and laughed? Ok...

The things people find to whine about, damn.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe Crosby was just trying to get back on the stripes' good side.

But since we don't know what he's saying it seems pointless to be upset about it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Agree with you here but that's another argument in itself. MJ to me would be a solid assistant. He's smart. He's a thinker. He's also a guy who can't command the respect of the team and lead them IMO at least from what I've seen. Babcock rips his team a new ass after losing bad and they come out the next day and rip us one. We'll never see that from MJ. Remember his speeches in November when we played the Isles, Rangers, and others and he said it was a test for the playoffs? What did we do? We lost every game. It was laughable.

That said, this team no longer has a Guerin. No Roberts. There is no veteran for the young guns to look up to. They are the veterans that are supposed to lead the team. When your team is down 4-0 in a ****show where you're getting clowned on the ice by the other team and by the officials with about 45 minutes to go, the message he sends the team is it's funny and I don't give a ****. Again, not what I expect out of a captain of any hockey team being down 4-0 with enough time left in the game to crawl back in it like Edmonton, the 2nd worst team in the league, did against us only a few nights earlier.

In that moment, I saw a lot about Sid and the leadership and culture of this team that turned me off. We have no identity whatsoever on this team except to fall apart with no discipline and have no fortitude when the times get tough. That's the only identity on this team I see and it's been going on for years.

I guess what I am saying is that Sid is the Captain, and he does have responsibilities and responsibility for the lack of discipline.

But that said, the coach completely abdicating any role in setting the tone and expectations for this team, well expecting Sid to pick up the slack and become coach as well as star player is asking too much, and far more than he should be doing or worrying about. I give Sid a pass on this one because honestly what the hell is he supposed to do? Sit Adams? Hell I do not even give him responsibility about pouting to get Kunitz to ride shotgun. It is on the coach to sometimes not give your players, even stars, all that they want and to deal with stars even when they act up at times.

I REALLY wanted Trotz for this team. He could have made a huge difference. Instead we got this guy:

stuart_smalley-7943.jpg

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724

I'm 100% sure he just made a sarcastic remark to the linesman and was laughing about the ridiculous calls. I did that more than a few times times when the refs were being dbags.

Everybody knows that Crosby must be a robot. If they are losing he has to be staring straight ahead with a stone face and he isn't allowed to talk to anybody or show any emotion or he is a horrible leader.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
I guess what I am saying is that Sid is the Captain, and he does have responsibilities and responsibility for the lack of discipline.

But that said, the coach completely abdicating any role in setting the tone and expectations for this team, well expecting Sid to pick up the slack and become coach as well as star player is asking too much, and far more than he should be doing or worrying about. I give Sid a pass on this one because honestly what the hell is he supposed to do? Sit Adams? Hell I do not even give him responsibility about pouting to get Kunitz to ride shotgun. It is on the coach to sometimes not give your players, even stars, all that they want and to deal with stars even when they act up at times.

I REALLY wanted Trotz for this team.
We have the 5th best GA/G despite being short-handed all the time. So, that's some good coaching there.

Stuart Smiley wouldn't have been sanctioned for recruiting violations. Not saying that's a good thing, but its not weak. He's smart and well versed in the art and science of coaching. That doesn't make him lily livered.

I'm sure you know that Trotz was signed before we were out of the playoffs, so he was never a possibility. I much prefer Johnston to Trotz.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

I REALLY wanted Trotz for this team. He could have made a huge difference. Instead we got this guy:

stuart_smalley-7943.jpg

Trotz won two playoff series his entire career in Nashville, which included some very talented teams. Why should he be lauded for leading a team who had made the playoffs 6 of the last 7 seasons to a 7th/8th place finish in the east?

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012

They also showed his on the bench on an earlier shift and he has this huge smile talking to the guy beside him. At that moment I was like "your team's getting smoked and are down four goals - why are you smiling"?

This coming from the guy whose response after most losses for the past couple of seasons is some variant of "we need to play with more desperation".

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sid was probably on some good flu medications.

Sid was the least of our problems yesterday though. If they followed his lead, we would've been fine.

I also don't buy into the doom and gloom here after one really forgettable afternoon game. Yes, MJ's personel decisions aren't the greatest. The Desi trade was one bad asset management move but they have the personel and systems to play good playoff hockey imo. Getting Geno and Horny back is imperative of course.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I'm 100% sure he just made a sarcastic remark to the ref and was mock laughing about the ridiculous calls. I did that more than a few times times when the refs were being dbags. None of you have ever sat on a bench and made a sarcastic comment to a ref and laughed? Ok...

Crosby got a point tonight. Since people can't complain about him being kept off the scoresheet, they have to find something else to rip on him about.

If it wasn't obvious that's a "sarcastic" laugh, I don't know what to say. You see it COUNTLESS times where a guy will bark out "are you ****ing kidding me with these calls?", followed by a big, head thrown back, belly laugh of incredulity.

But since it's Sid, he's obviously having a ball that his club is getting pounded on the scoresheet. Hilarious stuff, getting embarrassed on home ice.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
He was probably laughing at the thought of Adams replacing him in the lineup on Saturday. Meanwhile I was in the fetal position weeping in the corner during that time.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Wasted my weekend watching garbage at Consol. I'm in ***** mode. :)

Alcohol solves everything.

I get drunk and tell my gf to stroke my bald head to tell me everything is going to be alright.

I might require therapy, I blame this team.

I do wish Crosby was more of the firey brim and firestone type of Captain, but he isn't. Toews isn't even that kind of guy.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The doom and gloom on this board is ridiculous.

I know right? It's almost like people are seeing the same thing they've seen this team do every spring for the past half of a decade, and seeing it continue down the same idiotic path to failure.

Chumps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad