Post-Game Talk: Red Wings - 14 Penguins - 64

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
tumblr_nl9m1u1Lt51r6f9y3o1_500.gif

CommonForte

Jul 10, 2009
What an embarrassing game.

Crosby played well. Starting to look more consistent out there. Set up a bunch if nice chances

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
- 5 pages full of minuses for Sutter.
-Discipline.

+Perron/Sid/Hornqvist
Extra + for Hornqvist
-Hornqvist getting hurt

+Comeau returned, and player pretty good.
+Spaling

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
the time to really fix this team was like three years ago. It's too late to fix this team imo. Even if the organization suddenly woke up tomorrow, recognized the error of their ways, and made all the necessary changes (new management, new pro and amateur scouting, new emphasis on merit over familiarity, new focus on maximizing assets and building through the draft, etc)... well, it would take about 3-4 years until they really would reap the benefits of such moves.

Sid and geno are already slowing down, the youngsters that should be about to take on prime time roles should have been drafted years ago (as we see occurring with the red wings) or not traded away shortsightedly (ie despres-- now ready to take a top four role and you trade him???), they don't have the assets or picks to get the help that is now needed, and worst of all this organization has yet to acknowledge their cronyism and overall organizational culture is a problem. Hell, the same stupid amateur and pro scouting staff is in place, and the same stupid management structure is largely in place.

The penguins needed fundamental and drastic changes years ago. by now, even if the penguins made every right move they wouldn't be a real contender for another 2-3 years, right when crosby and malkin definitively are exiting their primes.

right around the flyers series this organization was a crossroads. they could have made the difficult and necessary changes and potentially afforded sid and geno the real opportunity to carry this team to 2-3 cups. but instead, they chose the convenient way out, practically ensuring that this was just a team that got lucky enough to win a single cup.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Depending on the injury situation, it may be impossible to make an example of someone unfortunately.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Mike Johnston is a puppet until he proves otherwise.

I'm sure he would like to rid this team of the Adams, Scuderi, Kunitz types but you go with what you have. I see Johnston (if he survives?) getting rid of all the veterans and pushing the organization in a youth movement direction.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
+ Hornqvist
+ Sid

The first line was great today. They were creating every shift.

- Kunitz
- Sutter
- Lovejoy
- Hornqvist's injury
- Letang getting kicked out for hurting the refs feelings

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
2 GA at minimum for ref's feelings being hurt.
Tough to win when you have that and a 1 line team.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
The reffing was garbage, but the worst is how much Detroit gets away with interference all over the ice. It's so blatant, and they never get called for it.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I didnt see a lack of discipline so much as a bunch of phantom misconducts.

Team played bad, though.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
+ top line

= downie

-- sutter
-- all the D
-- no discipline

-------- all the injuries. we barely got to enjoy life without adams. :cry:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Also lost our best D-Man for half the game.

Really just a forgettable game. Pray Geno and Horny are nothing serious and move on.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The usual minuses that are a microcosm of the issues wrong with this team;

- Sutter: Awful game by an awful player.

- Lovejoy/Scuds: Did everything in their power to make sure the Wings could do whatever they wanted with the puck, and could go wherever they wanted around the net and in the corners.

- Kunitz: The guy's an absolute disaster. Pure dumpster fire of a player, and has been for several seasons. He and Sutter need to go this summer if we want any hope of being a legit contender moving forward. Not only are both players terrible, they actively make their linemates worse.

- Johnston/Tocchet: The team was, once again, not ready to play today. Undisciplined, disinterested at times, and the power play was abysmal as usual.

- Downie: Not all of the PIM he got were entirely his fault, but when you know you have a target on your back you need to be that much more disciplined when it comes to retaliations and barking at refs. I think he's an effective bottom six guy when he's playing hockey and he's not doing dumb ****, but he strays too close to the line for someone who is going to be penalized based on name alone. He should be allowed to walk this season.

+ Hornqvist: Never quits. Ever.
+ Sid's line as a whole

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
- well that happened
- sloppy and undisciplined.
- sutter. he wasn't just bad today... he was stupid

+ crosby was actually pretty good.

won't blame the refs (because the pens screwed themselves) but they were really calling things in favour of detroit. bizarre. so many questionable misconduct calls against the pens. I don't have a problem with closely called games... just with consistency for both sides.

really hope hornqvist is okay.

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North
I'm sure he would like to rid this team of the Adams, Scuderi, Kunitz types but you go with what you have. I see Johnston (if he survives?) getting rid of all the veterans and pushing the organization in a youth movement direction.

Doesn't make sense for him to let Despres or Bortuzzo go then. I don't like him one bit.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Doesn't make sense for him to let Despres or Bortuzzo go then. I don't like him one bit.

The Bortuzzo trade was actually really good. It will get overshadowed by how awful the Despres one was, but Cole has been playing very strong hockey for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad