Post-Game Talk: Red Wings - 14 Penguins - 64

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
Man I was hoping to read this to find out what all these misconducts were about. Instead a learned that we traded Despres for Ben Lovejoy?! WHOA

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Red Wings are a weasel team though, have been for years.

A lot of little dirty, subtle **** with a lot of "What, me?" sprinkled in there. Pretty wretched.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
mPieRpir6jv0OpYBZptSxYQ.jpg

Hey Bylsma has a cup too.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

A lot of little dirty, subtle **** with a lot of "What, me?" sprinkled in there. Pretty wretched.

Don't dare bring it up to anyone, though. Especially not while wearing anything with the Penguins logo on it. We're the evil empire, after all. Too dumb to fix a decade old problem with our team, but we're the masterminds of manipulating the league and refs. :sarcasm:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Man I was hoping to read this to find out what all these misconducts were about. Instead a learned that we traded Despres for Ben Lovejoy?! WHOA

You will not find out what they are for because none of us know. Sorry you were unable to watch the game, happy to help.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Don't dare bring it up to anyone, though. Especially not while wearing anything with the Penguins logo on it. We're the evil empire, after all. Too dumb to fix a decade old problem with our team, but we're the masterminds of manipulating the league and refs. :sarcasm:

The "hit" Tatar threw on Perron is a perfect example. Basically crosschecked him in the side rather than throwing a shoulder, and it's like "What? Certainly not I?"

The funniest two was Horny being blatantly slewfooted/interfered with during the Pens PP with the puck nowhere near him and nothing called. Also, right before the fifth goal when Beau's line had the Wings hemmed in, one of the Wings threw a body check behind the net with the puck a mile away and again, no call.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Nope. He actually said that.

:laugh: Mind-boggling. I still can't believe an NHL GM would make that comparison / analysis. Any benefit of doubt I had given him before is out the f-ing window.

I feel like ownership/Milhouse wanted Tocchet to be the coach but felt he needed an older chaperon, for some reason. I also think they wanted one of their current 3 assistant GMs to take over but... felt he needed an older chaperon, for some reason.

I think Johnston's a solid dude and a decent coach, but I agree fully that he's in over his head. The players he has to work with sure a **** don't make it any easier. The off season antics did nothing but dance around the major issues and, as I have been saying since 2012, it's time to blow it all up.

Yep. As a fan I need to see an entirely new direction. Management, roster, identity. Going to paste some thoughts on this (that I was going to post here) into the Roster Building thread.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Ever since 2009, the Penguins just do not seem like they have...IT, ya know?

Let me give you an example.

The game in the first period is not going well. We go down 1-0 early. Ever since 09, we self destruct. Would love to see the stats on come back wins after getting scored on 2-3 minutes into the game. But okay, the game is still in reach, the game plays on...

We get a scoring chance the ends with Kunitz having a wide open net and essentially flubs the shot and it goes wide. That goal goes in, it's 1-1 and it's a new game. I don't feel like we make those shots or capitalize on those chances the way a cup caliber team would.

It seems games either go our way 100% or do not go our way 100%. I don't feel like we battle in games. If our team was a corner battle...I don't think we would come away with the puck very often. If our team was a faceoff...I don't think we'd have a winning percentage.

Can't put my finger on it...so I call it - IT. We don't have IT. It's this aura of confidence that was replaced with arrogance after 2009. And now that's it completely faded...it's not being replaced by the hard work needed to regain the confidence.

2007 to 2010 Sid would have single handedly won us that game...with Kunitz and garbage on his wings. Now...he has Perron and Hornqvist and he looks like any other center out there.

In any case, I hope every coach went into that locker room and erupted. I hope there was singling out of players in front of everyone too.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
with malking out, good to see flueky come up big again when the team needed it. lol outplayed by some rookie

also nice to see this 'better built for the playoffs' type team get knocked around by the red wings, even when they initiate the hits. are there any guys under 5'10 185 LBs. still available out there

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Seal... for sure. The game does go good or bad, never a consistent battle. It's almost strange because most hockey games are battles. It's been like that for 6 years.

But ultimately this organization lacks accountability. They lack desperation. They are a club where members stay happy and scapegoats are made.

Not a fun time as a penguin fan. Not at all. The organization did it to themselves too.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
with malking out, good to see flueky come up big again when the team needed it. lol outplayed by some rookie

also nice to see this 'better built for the playoffs' type team get knocked around by the red wings, even when they initiate the hits. are there any guys under 5'10 185 LBs. still available out there

The Wings beat them at hockey, they did not dominate them physically. Did you even watch the game?

Also Fleury was not the reason they got killed today.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009

i still get a kick out of the morons on the red wing board bashing sid when the went after zettenberg at the end of the game a few years ago.

even after pointing out on the faceoff that all Z did there was give a shot to sid's nuts and tried to skate away

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Blaming MAF for anything this season is a joke. He's stolen us more points than I'd ever care to admit.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Seal... for sure. The game does go good or bad, never a consistent battle. It's almost strange because most hockey games are battles. It's been like that for 6 years.

But ultimately this organization lacks accountability. They lack desperation. They are a club where members stay happy and scapegoats are made.

Not a fun time as a penguin fan. Not at all. The organization did it to themselves too.

The saddest part is that the organization sees itself doing nothing wrong. "Ah well, can't win 'em all." As it continues along the same path it's been on for half a decade.

It wouldn't be so bad if we were actually making a concerted effort to shift the paradigm. Instead, it's more of the same ol' ****.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Malkin and MAF are this team. They can survive without one but not both. Taking nothing away from Crosby, he is a great player and headed to the HOF, but he very rarely, maybe once or twice a season, puts the team on his back the way Malkin can.

-Johnston. Whether it is because of his rookie status or his demeanor, does not appear to be in charge of this team during the games. At times you watch him and he has that Dallas Eakin thousand yard stare, it is quite disconcerting. Kunitz should have been benched after the misconduct, he wasn't.

- No one showed up in the first period.

- Defense looked confused and ran around chasing a ton. Structure was non-existent, before and after Letang got thrown out.

- Suter had a bad game.

+ Crosby's line looked good, but it was when the score was 3-0 when they really started clicking, that needs to start earlier next game.

+ PP looked good with Hornqvist in front of the net.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
If the Pens organization had any balls when it came to holding players accountable Kunitz, and Sutter would be benched next game.

Won't happen since the coaching staff has no cajones. They'll becnh a player like Bennett , or Despres before him, but can't do the same to a guy like Kunitz or Sutter that might ruffle to many feathers.

Bunch of spineless *****s all around.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Seriously? There's probably been over a thousand posts about it. Not exaggerating. I don't mind it coming up. I mean it happened and almost no ones a fan, but here I come to discuss the game and I see despres' name three times on one friggin page.

maybe because we watched a couple of detroits big D men dispense pens forwards from in front of the net like it was a fly on their shoulders.

like a "hey , we had that type of player" response

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
If the Pens organization had any balls when it came to holding players accountable Kunitz, and Sutter would be benched next game.

Won't happen since the coaching staff has no cajones. They'll becnh a player like Bennett , or Despres before him, but can't do the same to a guy like Kunitz or Sutter that might ruffle to many feathers.

Bunch of spineless *****s all around.

TgZNhZG.jpg

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The saddest part is that the organization sees itself doing nothing wrong. "Ah well, can't win 'em all." As it continues along the same path it's been on for half a decade.

It wouldn't be so bad if we were actually making a concerted effort to shift the paradigm. Instead, it's more of the same ol' ****.

Sadly, the best thing that could REALLY happen to this team would be missing the playoffs, ideally this year.

Look at what happen to the Capitals. They completely renovated the roster and the way they played the game. Yes, Ovechkin had to basically hit bottom before being built back up...but at least you see his passion back.

More I think about it, the more I really want a complete curb stomping in the first round. Like Flyers 2012 stomping, minus the 2 games we won.

Then, ideally, we continue renovating the roster and hopefully lure Babcock here. MJ can stay as an AC.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
i still get a kick out of the morons on the red wing board bashing sid when the went after zettenberg at the end of the game a few years ago.

even after pointing out on the faceoff that all Z did there was give a shot to sid's nuts and tried to skate away

I loved when Zetterberg tried that crap with Benn and got rocked for his troubles. Then when the main board thread about it didn't become the pity party they were looking for, it got closed by a Wings mod.

And replace them with who? Ebbett and Megna? I'm as unhappy with their play as anyone, but you're cutting your nose to spite your face by replacing two under performing players with two even worse players when the lineup is already going to be depleted.

Then, ideally, we continue renovating the roster and hopefully lure Babcock here. MJ can stay as an AC.

If the team gets curbstomped and humiliated, what's Babcock's incentive to come here?

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
The Wings beat them at hockey, they did not dominate them physically. Did you even watch the game?

right all those pens laying on the ice in front of the goalie mean they were being out hockey'd. same when perron went to hit smith and bounced off and hit the ice. same with comeau trying to play the body and giving himself (maybe )a concussion

Also Fleury was not the reason they got killed today.

yeah, those first 2 soft goals just spark the team up.lol

take a look at the d man's reaction after the 2nd goal. looks up to the rafters. same look i've seen from orpik, scuds, letang and a bunch of other defensemen over the years, especially in the playoffs

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Sadly, the best thing that could REALLY happen to this team would be missing the playoffs, ideally this year.

Look at what happen to the Capitals. They completely renovated the roster and the way they played the game. Yes, Ovechkin had to basically hit bottom before being built back up...but at least you see his passion back.

More I think about it, the more I really want a complete curb stomping in the first round. Like Flyers 2012 stomping, minus the 2 games we won.

No need to want it to happen. It's gonna happen either way.

We're going to get exposed big time in the first round. I don't doubt that for a second. My only hope is that it serves as metaphorical smelling salts for this organization to fix things; get rid of Sutter, Kunitz and Scuderi, get Babcock, and get at least one top flight winger for Geno.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad