Red Dead Redemption 2 - Reder and Deader

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Thanks, I realized I screwed up the spoiler tags, but it's in there now. Not really sure it's spoiling much, or that anyone who wants to play the game hasn't finished it yet.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Anyone playing online or just me??

I've been playing online a bit and doing the missions. I signed up for the Twitch perks which gave you some money and fun stuff. The free roam is just so empty though, each town only has a few players in it. And the few players that are around are just griefers. The incendiary shotgun ammo is fun for dealing with them though. I jumped into some of the showdown games and even then there was less than 10 players in them.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I've been playing online a bit and doing the missions. I signed up for the Twitch perks which gave you some money and fun stuff. The free roam is just so empty though, each town only has a few players in it. And the few players that are around are just griefers. The incendiary shotgun ammo is fun for dealing with them though. I jumped into some of the showdown games and even then there was less than 10 players in them.

The fact that the Rockstar online servers are complete dogshit that disconnect you every 5 minutes doesn’t help.

Seriously...they make the HF servers here look like technological marvels

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
I am just starting the second epilogue. Overall I enjoyed the game quite a bit, have never played RDR 1 and not really knowing much about the series until I bought this game. I did think that the missions were somewhat repetitive, but I had a lot of fun anyways. My one regret is that I didn't do as much exploring as I wanted to. After the end of chapter 4, I kind of just plowed through things, other than the missions with the veteran who had the house by the lake.

I do have one question for people but need to put it in spoil tags:

Can you still complete random missions in the epilogue? I.e., if I hadn't beaten all of the veteran missions, could I still pick them back up with John? I feel like I should have explored more with Arthur, and I have a save file that I could go back to that's still fairly late in the game, but I think it's still after he has TB. I had another one but I'm pretty sure it's a decent bit further back.

Another question is if I do go back to an old save, how does autosave work? Like I guess I would manually save my epilogue missions (already did), and then just go do what I want with Arthur, creating a new save for that, and then just jumping back to the John/epilogue save once I want to finish the game?

You can do stranger missions and all the other stuff (hunting/fishing/collectibles) during the epilogue AND after you've beaten the game. I think I beat the game with like 75% completion; I still pick it up every once in awhile and do some more stuff. I'm around 92% now.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
The fact that the Rockstar online servers are complete dog**** that disconnect you every 5 minutes doesn’t help.

Seriously...they make the HF servers here look like technological marvels

They are brutal. The disconnects have cost me a lot of skins and big fish when they crap out.

All I can say is I hit defensive mode as soon as I get on now.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
What’s that do?? Anything?? :huh:

Takes more shots to kill you and the griefers have to free aim to do it. Most of them can't aim for crap. They also can't tackle or rope you. As soon as you attack it goes back to offensive. It is nice to use when you are hunting or fishing. I had a guy try to rope me while I was fishing last night. It was hilarious since he couldn't figure out that you can't do it while I was in defensive mode. I just started laughing at him and he logged off.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Takes more shots to kill you and the griefers have to free aim to do it. Most of them can't aim for crap. They also can't tackle or rope you. As soon as you attack it goes back to offensive. It is nice to use when you are hunting or fishing. I had a guy try to rope me while I was fishing last night. It was hilarious since he couldn't figure out that you can't do it while I was in defensive mode. I just started laughing at him and he logged off.

Oh ok yeah I knew about that I just forgot about what it does when you do it. As I usually just play set as Offensive and don’t give a f***.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Oh ok yeah I knew about that I just forgot about what it does when you do it. As I usually just play set as Offensive and don’t give a ****.

I put it on now due to the fact there's too many griefer posses and dopey low levels going around while I'm doing the challenges.

1 idiot tried to steal the gar off my horse while I was fishing. I hit him with a dynamite arrow and his buddies tried to come after me. Downed them and their horses. They parley'd me and started yelling at me over the mics. Everyone thought it was hilarious cause they sounded like they were 12.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
It sounds like online might be worth the time now, is it?

The servers are pretty brutal. There's a lot of grinding for xp, money and gold. If you're just starting out then rank up and unlock some stuff first before you jump into the PvP modes. Low levels get shredded just by not having better weapons, ammo, and tonics.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The servers are pretty brutal. There's a lot of grinding for xp, money and gold. If you're just starting out then rank up and unlock some stuff first before you jump into the PvP modes. Low levels get shredded just by not having better weapons, ammo, and tonics.

I hate PvP anything really.

I think id still enjoy it more just moseying about in single player.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Going to finally pick this game up today. Can't wait to put it in the console and go through 2 hours of updates before I start playing

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I put it on now due to the fact there's too many griefer posses and dopey low levels going around while I'm doing the challenges.

1 idiot tried to steal the gar off my horse while I was fishing. I hit him with a dynamite arrow and his buddies tried to come after me. Downed them and their horses. They parley'd me and started yelling at me over the mics. Everyone thought it was hilarious cause they sounded like they were 12.

They probably were 12, bro... :laugh: :help:

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
I hate PvP anything really.

I think id still enjoy it more just moseying about in single player.

There are a lot of things to do besides the PvP. Hunting, fishing, stranger missions, clearing hideouts, online story missions. The daily challenges are fun, and if you rack up a streak it can get you some decent xp and gold.

They probably were 12, bro... :laugh: :help:

They seem to be the majority of the player base right now. And it is pure entertainment pissing them off :laugh:

I had some idiot last night shoot my horse while I was trying to fast travel. I had dual sawed offs and it didn't end well for him. He came back and tried again, same result. Parley'd me and tried following me around. Parley expired and I got him again, and then he quit.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I remember reading before release that they were taking extreme measures to make this a non grief filled experience online. Was that just a lie or did it just not work? I was actually thinking about playing online as I haven't touched the game since I beat it but this thread makes me not want to bother.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Very fun game so far.

Any tips for a new player?

-Use defensive mode.
-Hunt and fish until you fill your satchel.
-Do the daily challenges and build a streak for the gold.
-Stay out of PvP until you rank up to some better weapons.
-Shoot every animal you see. Basically free XP.
-Don't waste your money/gold on clothing.

Reactions: CPTN71

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
-Use defensive mode.
-Hunt and fish until you fill your satchel.
-Do the daily challenges and build a streak for the gold.
-Stay out of PvP until you rank up to some better weapons.
-Shoot every animal you see. Basically free XP.
-Don't waste your money/gold on clothing.
Thanks. Not playing online though. Meant more for the single player story

Reactions: Pilky01

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Just take it easy. You barely need to buy anything or upgrade, but at the same time money is pretty easy to come across, so don’t be stingy.

Don’t rush through chapters 2 and 3 and hang around the camp regularly. When it seems like they’re having a party, hang around and talk to everyone.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Chapters 2-4 are gaming gold. Stay there as long as you are having fun and want to keep exploring, etc.

Chapter 5 is a drag and 6 is a lot longer than necessary in parts, so be sure to be prepared to leave the earlier chapters and push to the end of the story.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Is the epilogue worth playing? I finished the main story and I'm kind of about done with the game, but if the epilogue has a good/interesting story then I'll keep going.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Is the epilogue worth playing? I finished the main story and I'm kind of about done with the game, but if the epilogue has a good/interesting story then I'll keep going.

It kind of depends on the person. Personally, I loved it. You play as John and it ties in to the first Red Dead. A lot of people didn't like it though because it's a low slower, especially at first.

I would recommend playing it. You might not like it if you're expecting a ton of action though.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY

I really enjoyed the epilogue. It is slow going at first but there are a lot of fun things that pop up during it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad