Red Dead Redemption 2 - Reder and Deader

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Oh and I know I’m talking to myself here but thought of another thing last night.

This game really packed a true main villain. Lots of villains with Colm, Milton, Cornwall, and eventually Dutch and Micah. But you don’t really fight any of these guys besides a fist fight at the end if you get that one. They should’ve hyped up Colm some more. They gave some background about him and stuff but I still didn’t care much when he was hanged. I think a cool idea would’ve been to have Arthur join Colm’s gang undercover and get to know him more. Think it would’ve been interesting if Colm was actually very similar to Dutch and that’s how Arthur starts to realize who he’s really following there.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
FINALLY finished and kinda disappointed with this game...couldn't wait for it to be over....whereas i didn't want RDR 1 to end

I wasn’t disappointed necessarily, but yeah I was ready for it to be over. I think it was just a super long game and you more or less know the ending from the start if you played RDR1.

Speaking of RDR1, I’ve been exploring that area of the map since it’s opened up again. Man there’s like nothing over there. Incredibly boring and a waste of time for me to ride all the way over.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I loved the game but I was also totally ready for it to end. By the time I got near it I was basically sprinting to the finish just so I could get it over with.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Chapter 5 is where it started to lose me
with the whole being on an island bull****. I felt like I was playing Far Cry or something.

Definitely starts getting long but the "twist" in Chapter 6 is so damn good and works so well that I really felt it gave the game a second-wind which is sort of ironic considering what the "twist" is.

The epilogues were just so damn unnecessary. Hated almost every minute of both of them and really soured the experience which was a real shame.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
What twist??
Do you mean Arthur contracting and later dying of TB?? Or Micah screwing you over??

The first of those two. That second one was rather easy to see coming, the first one came out of nowhere despite a few small clues being dropped.

Just before Arthur falls down and gets diagnosed, there is a close up him coughing during a group meeting. I remember noticing it and thinking "that was a bit strange" but the game carries on a bit before he actually collapses so I had forgotten about it by then. Great stuff.

It really gives the last chapter a lot of focus and some really great moments/scenes.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Oh and I know I’m talking to myself here but thought of another thing last night.

This game really packed a true main villain. Lots of villains with Colm, Milton, Cornwall, and eventually Dutch and Micah. But you don’t really fight any of these guys besides a fist fight at the end if you get that one. They should’ve hyped up Colm some more. They gave some background about him and stuff but I still didn’t care much when he was hanged. I think a cool idea would’ve been to have Arthur join Colm’s gang undercover and get to know him more. Think it would’ve been interesting if Colm was actually very similar to Dutch and that’s how Arthur starts to realize who he’s really following there.

Dutch's decent into madness was very well done I thought. We sort of knew none of the other villains would really matter since Dutch was sort of the main antagonist for most of RDR.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I thought the epilogues were fantastic. They’re a bit slow for sure but they gave a lot of closure with other characters and really show the bridge between RDR2 John and RDR1 John. The house building part made me heart feel so full.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
The epilogue has some amazing moments

Some very fun moments, definitely some slow moments, but it definitely has some epic moments. Including the very last mission. If you played RDR1 you will probably have goosebumps the whole time

Seriously, you’re doing yourself a disservice by not finishing the epilogue

Do it people!

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I also enjoyed the epilogue it was an interesting transition that brings you back to the first RDR.

I do wish they would have fleshed out the western part of the map as others have said. I know the wild west was empty and desolate but it would of been nice to have added another larger center/town to explore in the far west.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The epilogue has some amazing moments

Some very fun moments, definitely some slow moments, but it definitely has some epic moments. Including the very last mission. If you played RDR1 you will probably have goosebumps the whole time

Seriously, you’re doing yourself a disservice by not finishing the epilogue

Do it people!
The end mission is worth it but the epilogue as a whole is just way too long.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The first of those two. That second one was rather easy to see coming, the first one came out of nowhere despite a few small clues being dropped.

Just before Arthur falls down and gets diagnosed, there is a close up him coughing during a group meeting. I remember noticing it and thinking "that was a bit strange" but the game carries on a bit before he actually collapses so I had forgotten about it by then. Great stuff.

It really gives the last chapter a lot of focus and some really great moments/scenes.

Neither of those were twists for me

They emphasized the guy coughing in Arthur's face so much that I immediately googled if there was anyway to avoid it from happening. As for Micah, it was telegraphed so faf before hand that he was going to be the bad guy that it wasnt a twist all.

Both of those reasons are probably why the game didnt have an emotional payoff for me. I saw them coming so far away, it was just the details of how they got there that mattered.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I also enjoyed the epilogue it was an interesting transition that brings you back to the first RDR.

I do wish they would have fleshed out the western part of the map as others have said. I know the wild west was empty and desolate but it would of been nice to have added another larger center/town to explore in the far west.

Agreed on both. There was no point to them opening up the West. Nothing to do there really. Honestly loved the game but I haven’t felt any need to go back and play now that I’m done with the epilogues.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Neither of those were twists for me

They emphasized the guy coughing in Arthur's face so much that I immediately googled if there was anyway to avoid it from happening. As for Micah, it was telegraphed so faf before hand that he was going to be the bad guy that it wasnt a twist all.

Both of those reasons are probably why the game didnt have an emotional payoff for me. I saw them coming so far away, it was just the details of how they got there that mattered.

I saw them coming as well, but to me that didn't hurt the ending or the game overall.

A lot of it had to do with how much I liked Arthur as a character, and watching/playing his final days and decisions as a dying man were fascinating and moving to me. His loyalty to his adoptive family and to Dutch (even though Dutch didn't deserve it) was an emotional angle, and I thought it made a great story despite being predictable.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Keep us posted on how you like it, if you don't mind. It would be interesting to me to see how someone receives this game without being a part of the initial launch hype.

I am just starting the second epilogue. Overall I enjoyed the game quite a bit, have never played RDR 1 and not really knowing much about the series until I bought this game. I did think that the missions were somewhat repetitive, but I had a lot of fun anyways. My one regret is that I didn't do as much exploring as I wanted to. After the end of chapter 4, I kind of just plowed through things, other than the missions with the veteran who had the house by the lake.

I do have one question for people but need to put it in spoil tags:

Can you still complete random missions in the epilogue? I.e., if I hadn't beaten all of the veteran missions, could I still pick them back up with John? I feel like I should have explored more with Arthur, and I have a save file that I could go back to that's still fairly late in the game, but I think it's still after he has TB. I had another one but I'm pretty sure it's a decent bit further back.

Another question is if I do go back to an old save, how does autosave work? Like I guess I would manually save my epilogue missions (already did), and then just go do what I want with Arthur, creating a new save for that, and then just jumping back to the John/epilogue save once I want to finish the game?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad