Re-sign Wheeler?

Should the Jets resign Wheeler?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
at PPs situation almost sickly perverted. still is i Believe starting at this season. getting in zoun at PP puck MUST (by coach demandings?) be instantly delivered to Wheelers. the Wheelers deciding who he will let puck to. then a shot and of course Wheeler getting assist many here and there. but is this right? i dont see him as playmaker or partifically good passer. he has like a weird style not natural puck holder and baker. maybe strong arms something like this but this whole system very perverted.
many many times like robots they play triangle at the one corner including Wheelers/sheifele and third guy not laine.

many and too often and Always? at this with this coach they seem happy for laine if he only get to shoot. they seam like no importance if laine not getting into game by getting to pass and receiving passes. damn. give him linemates where they play hockey and have fun. this last seasons with Ehlers/Little/stastny only getting stuck at own zoun and attacking is only by sending puck to Deep in zoun and to hunt on. this is not rights. laine must be getting good C to play with. and not being stuck with ehlers also 100% of importance.

dont talk of Wheelers as being some kind of playmaker. he not.

MY OPINiON NO BAN HERE: thanks

Sir avgard hockeyprofsoor

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
He is no Jagr. Jagr was incredible his whole career so Jagr a step-down is still better than most. I say 7mil at 4 years or else its an overpayment and we should make a Kessel like trade where we trade Wheeler for 2 firsts. Anyone can feed the puck to Chef and Laine and look good.

You actually believe that about Wheeler?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
You actually believe that about Wheeler?
That anyone can feed the puck to Chef and Laine and look good? Yes. I think Wheeler would do it better than many, but, I don't think its a skill that makes him unique. There are many great players who are at 7mil or less who could do Wheeler's job.

Reactions: Psych0dad

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
If Wheeler would sign for $7.5 mill or less on a 5 yr deal, then I’d re-sign him. He’s a driver. Or should I say pilot. He leads by example. Solid person too.
Who does he think he is Jacob Trouba ? :sarcasm:
7.5 is ok by me reckoning for 5 years
There is no quit in that man

Reactions: Afterburner

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
1st line must be build around laine NOW. if you build it he will come. last PO he was stuck at miserables 2nd line and not able/confidence low for getting to grow MONSTER. at one time during season he found AIR and become what to expect and did DAMAGE. but having him with nontalented players is just waist of POWERs. get ATARIfriend OFF his back. having speeder pucklover at his line is only damaging his playing. you see how it goed. Ehlers have puck til they take it away. this way line not working. give laine teammates that make him happy to be at ice. no idea getting him frustrated at linemates. this way he not playing good or developing. Young, important years going on right now. 2 seasons in toilet already i say.

Sir avgard hockeypfrofessor
You realize Laine still lit it up this year right ?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
It might end up being a mistake (think Ladd with NYI etc.) but I think we should definitely re-sign Wheeler. He likes being here, is arguably our best player, and is a great captain.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It might end up being a mistake (think Ladd with NYI etc.) but I think we should definitely re-sign Wheeler. He likes being here, is arguably our best player, and is a great captain.
He likes being here enough to give us a discount?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
at PPs situation almost sickly perverted. still is i Believe starting at this season. getting in zoun at PP puck MUST (by coach demandings?) be instantly delivered to Wheelers. the Wheelers deciding who he will let puck to. then a shot and of course Wheeler getting assist many here and there. but is this right? i dont see him as playmaker or partifically good passer. he has like a weird style not natural puck holder and baker. maybe strong arms something like this but this whole system very perverted.
many many times like robots they play triangle at the one corner including Wheelers/sheifele and third guy not laine.

many and too often and Always? at this with this coach they seem happy for laine if he only get to shoot. they seam like no importance if laine not getting into game by getting to pass and receiving passes. damn. give him linemates where they play hockey and have fun. this last seasons with Ehlers/Little/stastny only getting stuck at own zoun and attacking is only by sending puck to Deep in zoun and to hunt on. this is not rights. laine must be getting good C to play with. and not being stuck with ehlers also 100% of importance.

dont talk of Wheelers as being some kind of playmaker. he not.

MY OPINiON NO BAN HERE: thanks

Sir avgard hockeyprofsoor
I’ll guess you’re firmly in the no camp

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Giving Blake a raise + term is gamble I'd rather not make. Any extension signed must be easy to move (NMC is a dealbreaker). It would be a mistake to sacrifice any of our younger talent to keep him.

Laine, Connor, and Ehlers are all currently pacing ahead of Blake's career trajectory. Management must be prepared to pay Niku, Roslovic, or Vesalainen if one emerges as a star player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halberdier

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
He likes being here enough to give us a discount?
Who knows. Seems like the kind of guy who would understand the cap pressure though, as well as the cup window we're currently in. We might be able to replace his talent, but right now I think his leadership definitely has monetary value (pls don't ask me how much I don't follow numbers as closely as you nerds ;) ). If we want to push for a cup now, we should keep him in the room cause I can still see the team suffering even if we were to replace his talent. He probably knows this, and I don't think he's the kinda guy who will want to milk every last penny to jeopardise signing other guys.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Really? Like who?

Who can make the passes Wheeler has to make to feed Laine or Scheifele?

Well, usually they are rather basic passes inside the box or through the box (depending which one is open), so I'd say that most NHL level players are capable of them. If you haven't noticed, for example Laine can do those crosses more accurately to Wheeler with less giveaways. I'd think Perreault, Petan, Connor, Ehlers all are capable of those passes so it's not a Wheeler specialty. I've seen Vesalainen being able to cross through the box or pass inside high slot.

Wheeler is a good overall player with great work ethic. Making those passes doesn't require higher end passing skill. Wheeler is a jack of all trades but a master of none. And every team needs those guys, but it's best not to overpay them. We already have Little overpayment looming over the future.

See what he can do in secondary scoring role, then pay him according to that instead of inflating his price.

He is a supposed driver, and second line needs one. The young guys can drive the first line no problem, we need "the best linedriver" to get more out of Little and second line.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
See what he can do in secondary scoring role, then pay him according to that instead of inflating his price.

That would be good for the Jets in terms of cap space, but unfortunately, it is very unlikely this would happen, since there would probably be a handful of teams lining up to pay him more (north of $7,500,000). I don't think Wheeler would accept a contract that is much less than market value and reduced ice time, in order for the team to sign some of it's young players. The Jets could potentially run the risk of being unable to sign him, and lose him to free agency, just like Tavares.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
That would be good for the Jets in terms of cap space, but unfortunately, it is very unlikely this would happen, since there would probably be a handful of teams lining up to pay him more (north of $7,500,000). I don't think Wheeler would accept a contract that is much less than market value and reduced ice time, in order for the team to sign some of it's young players. The Jets could potentially run the risk of being unable to sign him, and lose him to free agency, just like Tavares.

I want our Jets to not be handcuffing themselves to large UFA older player contracts for the youth is our present and future core and they will prove that without a doubt this coming season.

That being said I was in the camp of not signing Ladd for I believed that Ladd was more a byproduct of Wheels and Little...

Wheeler being Wheeler makes this a tough one and I firmly believe there is a Chevy line in the sand on his next contract concerning cap hit and term so yes I agree with you that we could potentially run the risk of being unable to sign him...

Chevy and TNSE will think long and hard on Wheelers future with our Jets that is for sure for Wheeler is our Captain and a leader by example so can we really afford to lose Wheels?

Well as far as I am concerned I am glad I don't have to make that decision and that is why Chevy makes the big bucks and this decision could define or deface Chevy's legacy .

I surely hope we win The Stanley Cup in 2019 for it would make it easier to accept of the possibility of losing Wheeler.

Sheif being the player who never stops trying to always getting better as a player is ready to lead whenever Wheels leaves...

Go :jets Go

Last edited by a moderator:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
You make some very good points. I agree that Scheifele will indeed take over as captain of the Jets whenever Wheeler departs the organization. However, I think it's important we have some seasoned veterans in our lineup. I can recall the debate about signing Dustin Byfuglien in 2016. At the time, he was 31, and his contract was expiring, the Jets signed him for 5 years at $7.6million/year.

Say what you will about Buff, but he certainly can be a game-changer, and the most important guy on the team if he is on his game. I still think that the Jets would not have done as well as we have in the playoffs without Buff, who was on fire for the Minnesota and Nashville series. Scheifele may have been the playoff MVP overall, but Buff seemed unstoppable when he was on his game, and came through at key times throughout the playoffs. The Jets could have traded him away with Ladd for future cap space, but it's debatable if the Jets would have achieved the success we did without him. His downside of course, is when he is off his game, he becomes a defensive liability at times.

I really think the key to building a Stanley Cup contender is combining the right mix of players, young or old. Having said that, I trust Chevy and will stand behind any decision he makes.

Reactions: amethyst

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
again, why though? 31 year olds who need new contracts are extremely risky. You don't trade premium assets for that unless you are all in for a Cup run.

Because teams actually do want to win the cup and Wheelers does bring invaluable experience and skill? Again, you don't land someone like Trocheck one on one by Wheelers. Probably not even Borgström. That's why there are such things as packet deals. Anyway, why do you think the Panthers have been focusing on the wingers on these past years of drafting? Could it be that they are thin on the wings? Are you suggesting Blake is so old that he's already damaged goods? To me it seems quite the opposite since he just had a career year. I would say he has at least 2 great years left in the bank with potential of more (maybe 4 or even 5), which would be enough to let the Panthers develop their own young winger core with peace and compete along the way. We are not talking about a team that's in a middle of a rebuild.

Reactions: Jets4Life

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Someone mentioned above that he's heard hearsay originating from Wheeler's camp that he won't be re-signing with the Jets. It's possible that hearsay is accurate. If that's the case, it's likely Chevy already knows that. Obviously the org has great respect for Wheeler or they wouldn't have made him captain. It's obvious from what Wheeler has said about the org that he has respect for them. Given the mutual respect, it's possible they have already talked about a contract and established that although Wheeler would be willing to give some sort of discount, what the Jets are able to offer without dismembering the team would be too much of a discount for a player with Wheeler's stats, even a reasonable player (which Wheeler probably is). It's possible that the org will give Wheeler a last chance to win the cup in Winnipeg, and Wheeler, for his part, will give it his all. They will then regretfully part company.

In the unlikely event the Jets are not in the playoff chase, perhaps Wheeler volunteers for trade-deadline duty.

Reactions: amethyst

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If the team feels the same way about Wheeler that some of the posters in this thread do it wouldn't be hard to understand why he would want out....If you didn't know any better you'd think it was Pacioretty being talked about. Lol.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Because teams actually do want to win the cup and Wheelers does bring invaluable experience and skill? Again, you don't land someone like Trocheck one on one by Wheelers. Probably not even Borgström. That's why there are such things as packet deals. Anyway, why do you think the Panthers have been focusing on the wingers on these past years of drafting? Could it be that they are thin on the wings? Are you suggesting Blake is so old that he's already damaged goods? To me it seems quite the opposite since he just had a career year. I would say he has at least 2 great years left in the bank with potential of more (maybe 4 or even 5), which would be enough to let the Panthers develop their own young winger core with peace and compete along the way. We are not talking about a team that's in a middle of a rebuild.
package deals usually involve trading the most valuable asset for lesser assets. The Panthers aren't in a position to be "selling" so it doesn't make sense to downgrade from Trocheck. Another easy way to fix your lack of winger depth is to move a center to wing. It's not that difficult. I didn't say Wheeler was damaged goods. What I said is that extending 30+ year olds almost always ends in disaster. Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, Backes... The results speak for themselves.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I'd like to see Wheeler back but given his age I think you get Trouba, Morissey and Laine locked up first, bridge Connor and if you can make something that works with Wheeler and if there just isn't enough cap space left you let him walk. The younger players are going to be your core for the next 5-7 years, you get them taken care of then fit veterans around them as you can. If that means letting someone go a year or two early, that's still a lot better than keeping them 3 years too long.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Need to decide this over the summer. Wheeler loses more value everyday once the season starts. Don't want another Tavares situation. He either agrees to an extension or you have to trade him.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad