Re-sign Wheeler?

Should the Jets resign Wheeler?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
On one hand, he should have little wear on his body since he didn't really make the NHL full time until 25-26. On the other, a lot of his game is based on speed so he might drop off faster when he loses that.

Sometimes you have to stick with what got you there. It sends the wrong message to not re-sign Wheeler. Might as well trade Byfuglien and Little at that point if you're going to let anyone over 30 go. Then you're in a mini rebuild or a bubble team.
It's a business everyone knows how much everyone is earning. If Wherler asks for something unreasonable or too much money I think the players will understand if he has to go.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If they are going to re-sign Wheeler (which I really hope they do) the Jets are going to have to structure a contract much like Tavares' contract with Toronto.
Not in value as I think Wheels should come in between 7 and 8 per year, but the contract should be bonus heavy. What this player has given to the organization deserves that guaranteed and lock-out protected value.
Right... what he has given I prefer to pay for what someone will give give. Just in these hypo talks tho, I'm not a monster. @Jets4Life you are right I don't understand how important intangibles are. If they are as important as you make them out to be or less important.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If they are going to re-sign Wheeler (which I really hope they do) the Jets are going to have to structure a contract much like Tavares' contract with Toronto.
Not in value as I think Wheels should come in between 7 and 8 per year, but the contract should be bonus heavy. What this player has given to the organization deserves that guaranteed and lock-out protected value.

The thing to remember about the signing bonus contracts like Tavares is that the bonus is paid even if the league doesn't play. I understand that's why the players want the bonus instead of straight salary... so they get paid during the next lockout, but is that something TNSE is willing to do? Pay players when the team is generating no revenues? Depends upon how big the bonus is to salary I guess.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
I prefer a wait and see approach and were talking about Chevy and TNSE so....

I prefer a little insurance policy for its a long season and God knows what could happen with or to Wheeler...

Never rush a UFA signing period...

Go :jets Go

Last edited by a moderator:

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
I'd much rather have Wheeler for the next 3 seasons. You have to keep in mind that Wheeler was a late bloomer (his breakout year was 2011-12, age 25), and his best seasons have been 2015-17. You have to factor in the intangibles. Not only is Wheeler a more important piece of the Jets right now, but it's well known in NHL circles that Wheeler is one of the leaders in the locker room, if not the leader.

Drawing a historical parallel, it would be like trading Iginla in 2006. Iginla was the heart and soul of the Flames from the beginning of the millennium until he departed for Pittsburgh in 2013. What have the Flames done since? In six years, they have had one good playoff series against a relatively weak Canucks team, and been blown out twice against the ducks, and missed the playoffs in 4 other seasons. Ignila was finally dealt to Pittsburgh when he was just shy of his 36th birthday.

I have a feeling Wheeler will be more in line with St.Louis, Selanne, and Jagr. He will continue to be a top player until his late 30's. By that time his contract with the Jets will be winding down, if the choose to sign him. It also sends a negative message if the Jets don't pursure Wheeler, who seems to love playing for the Jets. It's not like we are a top destination for UFA's.

Ehlers has the ability to be over a PPG player, but I cannot see him ever becoming a leader for the Jets. Maybe in 3-4 years, Ehlers will eclipse Wheeler in terms of how important he is to the Jets, but that would cover most of any hypothetical contract he is offered by the Jets. It seems as though the people who want to trade or let go of Wheeler, can't see past his age. There have been too many examples in the history of the NHL to disprove the theory that after 30, it's all downhill for a player's career.

You said:

It's not like we are a top destination for UFA's.

That is probably a blessing in disguise as far as I am concerned.

Go :jets Go

Reactions: libertarian

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think if we offer him 40 million total that should be pretty fair. Give it to him over 5 or 6 years.

I like what people are saying about playing him 2nd line because that's where his future role will be. But I dont think that's very realistic since the team will want to be extending him this summer I'd imagine.

....he's one of the best wingers in the game and in his prime and you want to play him on the second line where you won't maximize his value? Doesn't make any sense to me and I doubt management sees it that way either.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That our deciding how much players deserve is hypothetical. As a person I appreciate what people have done and am willing to do that in real life. Not so much hockey players on a board. I also said I don't know how much intangibles like leadership really are worth at that high of a level of hockey only ever playing A3 hockey

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
....he's one of the best wingers in the game and in his prime and you want to play him on the second line where you won't maximize his value? Doesn't make any sense to me and I doubt management sees it that way either.

More like that's where he is most likely to fit in three or four years from now.

You could say the same thing about Laine could you not?

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Doesn't make any sense to me and I doubt management sees it that way either.

Makes sense to me, there are better existing options already in the roster. If Maurice would understand Laine is a LW, they could both play in first.

Ehlers and Connor are likely to challenge him even further during this possible extension.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
If Blake and his family want to turn the page I will tip my hat to him and thank him for his services. BiggyFunk has given us his best years.

I have a hard time believing that. Just considering Wheeler has been a vocal proponent of PaMo and other Management, he is the top guy (captain) of the team, and the Jets being a Stanley Cup contender. I've heard True North has a good reputation around the league, and it is day and night from an Ottawa Senators-type situation.

Last edited:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
If resigned Wheelers would provide a huge boost for the next 2-4 seasons.

Right now he holds a huge value and I wonder if he could return a young high end center piece from a team that's competing and also looking for wingers. Such as Panthers for instance who are stacked in the middle. Deal around Trocheck of even Borgström would solve a C problem for The Jets and I do not think there will be any shortage for quality wingers moving forward. However I think they will just reward him with the contract. Still something worth to consider in my opinion.

*Sorry wrong thread. Mod?
How does this make sense for the Panthers? Trade a 24 year old center on a dream contract for a 31 year old who needs a new deal... Makes no sense...

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
How does this make sense for the Panthers? Trade a 24 year old center on a dream contract for a 31 year old who needs a new deal... Makes no sense...

As a 1 to 1 trade? It absolutely doesn't and I never suggested that it would. Trades rarely happen that way anyway. I just presented an example of a team that could afford to give up one of their talents in a position weak at the Jets. Trade involving Borgström would have more risk factor, but would come with a lesser price.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
As a 1 to 1 trade? It absolutely doesn't and I never suggested that it would. Trades rarely happen that way anyway. I just presented an example of a team that could afford to give up one of their talents in a position weak at the Jets. Trade involving Borgström would have more risk factor, but would come with a lesser price.
again, why though? 31 year olds who need new contracts are extremely risky. You don't trade premium assets for that unless you are all in for a Cup run.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Makes sense to me, there are better existing options already in the roster. If Maurice would understand Laine is a LW, they could both play in first.

Ehlers and Connor are likely to challenge him even further during this possible extension.

Based on what? Wheeler had a career year and led the league in assists. This seems more like an agenda to elevate Laine in the lineup when he doesn't deserve it.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have a hard time believing that. Just considering Wheeler has been a vocal proponent of PaMo and other Management, he is the top guy (captain) of the team, and the Jets being a Stanley Cup contender. I've heard True North has a good reputation around the league, and it is day and night from an Ottawa Senators-type situation.

This tweet alone is one of my favorite Blake Wheeler moments:

He also has a wife and some of these decisions are family based. It was not my source and I have no idea if it is accurate I think if it was solely up to Blake and money and family were not involved he would want to stay and win a cup here.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Based on what? Wheeler had a career year and led the league in assists. This seems more like an agenda to elevate Laine in the lineup when he doesn't deserve it.

You are entitled to your opinion.

I think Laine should play LW.

And there is no subjective "deserving" rate in maximizing utility. I would make combinations that produce the best overall results on ice, and not give a damn about deserving. Find out eho works best with who, who is the most productive with their time. That's how you figure out what your lines should be.

Not by brownie points.

Do you seriously think Wheeler will play his extension in the first line with all these young guys Jets have? And if you don't, what kind of business sense does it make to inflate his contract?

Last edited:

19GoalsInPlayoffs

Jan 30, 2017
This seems more like an agenda to elevate Laine in the lineup when he doesn't deserve it.

I really do have a hard time believing in at HOW good a player has to be to deserve the first line minutes in the Jets.

A HHOF player might get a change? In a good day? Maybe not. GOAT? Might, if he is really looking good in that day... Someone who is 2nd in the league scoring. Hah! No way!

Seriously. Am I the only one finding this a little bit hilarious?

Last edited:
Reactions: Psych0dad

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Laine should definitely be lw on the 1st line imo. See how connor handles the 2nd line with poor lil Bryan. I do wonder about Wheeler. He is a great player but not the brightest on the ice sometimes and at his age I wonder if it starts to go downhill for him from here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Psych0dad

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Do you seriously think Wheeler will play his extension in the first line with all these young guys Jets have? And if you don't, what kind of business sense does it make to inflate his contract?

He could very well do so through his mid 30's. There are players who have done so throughout history (Jagr, Selanne, St.Louis, etc). It looks like it will be up to the young guys to steal Wheeler's spot.

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
1st line must be build around laine NOW. if you build it he will come. last PO he was stuck at miserables 2nd line and not able/confidence low for getting to grow MONSTER. at one time during season he found AIR and become what to expect and did DAMAGE. but having him with nontalented players is just waist of POWERs. get ATARIfriend OFF his back. having speeder pucklover at his line is only damaging his playing. you see how it goed. Ehlers have puck til they take it away. this way line not working. give laine teammates that make him happy to be at ice. no idea getting him frustrated at linemates. this way he not playing good or developing. Young, important years going on right now. 2 seasons in toilet already i say.

Sir avgard hockeypfrofessor

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He could very well do so through his mid 30's. There are players who have done so throughout history (Jagr, Selanne, St.Louis, etc). It looks like it will be up to the young guys to steal Wheeler's spot.
He is no Jagr. Jagr was incredible his whole career so Jagr a step-down is still better than most. I say 7mil at 4 years or else its an overpayment and we should make a Kessel like trade where we trade Wheeler for 2 firsts. Anyone can feed the puck to Chef and Laine and look good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad