Should the Jets resign Wheeler?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
If you wait, you risk losing him to free agency just like Tavares. To valuable like him walk for free.

True but walking away from the Jets and walking away from the Islanders are two totally different entities. Athletes usually want to win and walking away from a team that is close to wining IMO isn't a smart decision. Unless he doesn't like Winnipeg (I hear it gets very cold there in the winter :naughty:)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We gave Buff a $7.5 million/year x 5 years at 31, and considering Wheeler is a late bloomer (breakout season 2011-12), and had a career year, I think it is worth the risk to sign him for a 5 year term. I doubt we would get a return equal or greater than him if we traded him now.

Not sure what we might get for him right now. His value should be sky high but he is a pending UFA drawing very near to his 32nd B'day. I think the return would be pretty good but wouldn't pay anything for his leadership. Or at least not much.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Stastny has a decelerating contract 7.5M-6.5M-5.5M.. I'd offer Wheeler the same sort of structure. Start at low to mid 8's and knock off 500k-1M per year or something like that
8-7-6-5-4 gives you a $30M deal: $6M x 5 years. That's for his 33-34-35-36-37 year old seasons...

Reactions: buggs

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I sure hope so, but considering Stanley got $6.5 million, and is nowhere near Wheeler's level, and is 32 to boot, we may be looking north of $8.0 million

Assume you meant Stastny. a)He is a C. b)He got only 3 years.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
True but walking away from the Jets and walking away from the Islanders are two totally different entities. Athletes usually want to win and walking away from a team that is close to wining IMO isn't a smart decision. Unless he doesn't like Winnipeg (I hear it gets very cold there in the winter :naughty:)

Yeah, but its a dry cold.

and there is very little need to go outside in the winter.

Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
8-7-6-5-4 gives you a $30M deal: $6M x 5 years. That's for his 33-34-35-36-37 year old seasons...

Really not much advantage to the front loading - unless you are trying to make him tradeable in the last couple of years.

Edit: Not to mention that 5 years is too much. I'd rather just lop off that last year.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Stastny has a decelerating contract 7.5M-6.5M-5.5M.. I'd offer Wheeler the same sort of structure. Start at low to mid 8's and knock off 500k-1M per year or something like that

what difference does it make when they get paid
doesn't the cap stay the same?

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
From a business stand point, his value is sky hi right now - love to see what the trade return would be.
I'm a draft and develop fan and I see Scheif as fully developed and ready for the C.

Reactions: Bigfish

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Hell yes. I wheelie, wheelie hope we resign Wheeler.

If it was never obvious in the Ladd, Little, Wheeler days it is now that Wheeler was the straw that stirred the drink.

Ladd IMO has been abysmal on the Island away from Wheeler and Little is also less productive away from Wheels.

You don't break the bank and I think that if we win it this season or go deep again that Wheeler will want to staand might take a little less for more term.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes, but not at the expense of Laine and Connor (or Ehlers, Trouba, Morrissey. None of our young players). Hopefully Chevy can work his magic because Wheeler is a great player and captain. Would love to have him on this team until he retires and for reasonable money.

Reactions: amethyst

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Wheeler would get close to 9m on the open market. He's outscored Kessel over the last 5 years!
I think if Chevy signed him for 4 more years at 7.5m-8.0m, we'd be in good shape. Give him 30-32m over the next 4 years and if he still wants to play, he can always sign another contract with us or someone else.
Why is everyone in a hurry to give Scheif the C? I am more than happy with Wheeler as the captain.
I would like to see what the return would be though.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I would say sign Wheeler, but for the life of me I don't know how we will get under the cap for the 2019-20 season. Pretty much everyone including myself wants Trouba, Morrissey, Laine, Connor and Lowry signed long term. You add those contracts to Buff, Little, Scheifele, Ehlers, Helly and then Wheeler. That is 11 players, so just under 1/2 your roster that will come in at around $ 67 - 70 M (taking the average of most posters guesses). Assuming another jump in the cap, every other player on the roster will still need to be someone in the $1 M range. You sure need a lot of ELC guys and even a couple mid level guys like MP and Kuli who are signed for that season will make it impossible. At some point we will have to lose a really good fan favourite just to ice a team. Over paying for Trouba will just make this harder.

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
You can't replace Wheeler with a better option to win the Cup now. If he wants to sign for 6 or less now give it to him. Anything over 7.5 million would need an MVP year or Cup. 6 years at 6 or 4 years over 7

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
This is the toughest choice for me. My heartstrings and my purse strings are at odds on this one. He is right now, a phenomenal leader and first line winger. But you have to think that he hits a wall sometime soon.

But he is in no small way responsible for a lot of our current success and culture.

I hope we work something out to keep him as he regresses through the years.

Tough to trade a guy like that. Tough not to trade high on a guy like that.

:help:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I would say sign Wheeler, but for the life of me I don't know how we will get under the cap for the 2019-20 season. Pretty much everyone including myself wants Trouba, Morrissey, Laine, Connor and Lowry signed long term. You add those contracts to Buff, Little, Scheifele, Ehlers, Helly and then Wheeler. That is 11 players, so just under 1/2 your roster that will come in at around $ 67 - 70 M (taking the average of most posters guesses). Assuming another jump in the cap, every other player on the roster will still need to be someone in the $1 M range. You sure need a lot of ELC guys and even a couple mid level guys like MP and Kuli who are signed for that season will make it impossible. At some point we will have to lose a really good fan favourite just to ice a team. Over paying for Trouba will just make this harder.

you get rid of kulikov and buff probably

there will be room and at least one winter ends up getting traded for another depth piece unless they all sign for ~6 mil

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I'd like to see a team friendly deal, but I don't expect him to resign here.

he's been playing with this organization for a long time
he's the captain of a contender

but you dont expect him to resign...

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
He's a beast, you have to keep him. Hope he takes a front-loaded 8 x 8 contract and accepts being traded before it's finished if he regresses.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He's a beast, you have to keep him. Hope he takes a front-loaded 8 x 8 contract and accepts being traded before it's finished if he regresses.
I would like him re-signed as well, but 8 X 8 we better hope that Arizona is still in the market for cap hits in exchange for 1st round picks and/or top prospects in a few years. We have seen first hand how expensive clearing cap space is in the Mason/Armia trade.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think it'll take between 35 and 40 million in total, maybe a bit more. My guess is that the Jets go longer term and lower AAV, with a tapering salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad