Confirmed with Link: Paul Maurice signs 3 year deal to be head coach of the Florida Panthers (update 3/3/2023 given vote of confidence by Bill Zito)

Would you have preferred Brunette return over hiring Maurice?

• yes, give him the chance to grow

Votes: 34 34.0%
  • no, Florida doesn't have time to see him through the growing pains

Votes: 66 66.0%

• Total voters

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Yeah while the press conference was a whole lot of nothing, as some have stated I really didn’t expect much else. They’re still in the race and coming down the final stretch, finally have our deepest roster all year, he’s gotta just say the right things so if they’re listening then they’re all motivated. That he has the coaches back, that he has the players back, it may not be what we want to hear but he won’t disclose his true internal feelings out in the public. At least not at this time. I wouldn’t take it all as complete gospel. Similar to tyreek hill saying all those amazing things about tua, gotta keep people in the right frame of mind, confident, and let them know you believe in them. I think way too much is being made of that presser

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The Bruins and Leafs losing to lesser teams when they've had their PO tickets punched for months is very different than Florida supposedly fighting for their PO lives and losing to lesser teams.

Byram has played 22 games
Nuke has played 31 games
Manson has played 27 games
Johnson has played 51 games
MacK has played 49 games
Makar has played 47 games

f*** yes they were decimated.
It still happens. The Caps just got beat by the Ducks. The Pens were beaten 6-4 by San Jose a few weeks ago. The Isles lost consecutive games to the Nucks and Habs a few weeks ago.

And we've lost Barkov, Bennett and Ek to several games as well. Duke has been out all season. They were hit a little harder than us, but still it's not like they lost a handful of their top 5 guys for half the season. Ottawa has been decimated by injuries. Not Colorado. Makar just recently suffered the head injury a couple weeks ago. He was there for the first few months of the season.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
They have alternated win loss for 11 games. Numbers don’t lie is Damn right. That’s simply not good enough to make playoffs. Period. That isn’t an opinion. That is a fact. Doesn’t mean they can’t play better going forward and make it. But they absolutely 100% have not been playing good enough lately to make a push
And....they won 7 out of 10 this season also. Obviously they can't continue to alternate win loss the rest of the way. But they are capable of going on a run.

They're 3 pts out of WC2. Obviously they've been keeping pace.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I wouldn’t care if PM was fired because I was a Q guy, so once Q was let go, anyone not Q was whatever to me anyway. But no way he is getting fired in the offseason. Zito couldn’t exactly give him ‘the best’ roster this season and that’s pretty obvious. So I think he’ll definitely have next year where we can at least field a better roster and go from there.

And regarding PM, it seemed it took a while for everyone to get on board with systems but there was a switch that flipped where we are way more competitive now. I forget when that switch exactly happened because I’m old now and everything mixes together often but it may have been the beginning of January. But even the PM haters can’t deny seeing a change in our game. During the first half of the season there were a lot of meh games where when we fell behind there was no way we were coming back. And part of that was injuries — to an already average roster — where it’s more difficult to complete. But no question now the guys play way harder. They are far from perfect but definitely better than before.

So the better question might not be PM but maybe if Lefebvre sticks around. We definitely need a top 4 guy or two next year but is Lefebvre the one to coach the Dmen?

-ghoste

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I wouldn’t care if PM was fired because I was a Q guy, so once Q was let go, anyone not Q was whatever to me anyway. But no way he is getting fired in the offseason. Zito couldn’t exactly give him ‘the best’ roster this season and that’s pretty obvious. So I think he’ll definitely have next year where we can at least field a better roster and go from there.

And regarding PM, it seemed it took a while for everyone to get on board with systems but there was a switch that flipped where we are way more competitive now. I forget when that switch exactly happened because I’m old now and everything mixes together often but it may have been the beginning of January. But even the PM haters can’t deny seeing a change in our game. During the first half of the season there were a lot of meh games where when we fell behind there was no way we were coming back. And part of that was injuries — to an already average roster — where it’s more difficult to complete. But no question now the guys play way harder. They are far from perfect but definitely better than before.

So the better question might not be PM but maybe if Lefebvre sticks around. We definitely need a top 4 guy or two next year but is Lefebvre the one to coach the Dmen?

-ghoste
Yeah, just look at Zito's presser after the deadline. There's no doubt that he sees Maurice as 'the guy'. There's not even a thought in his mind about firing Maurice. So that thought can just be forgotten. Zito basically put all the blame on himself for the average results this season and the less than perfect roster. The EK65 rumors continue to swirl around the Panthers also, I think he's gonna try to give Maurice as much help as he can in the summer with all the cap space. He's all in on Maurice.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

-ghoste
I honestly think the slow start to catch on at the start of the year was maybe players unhappy that systems were changing from a happy go lucky offense first type system to responsible defensively system.
Personal stats might not be pretty, but team wins will.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I honestly think the slow start to catch on at the start of the year was maybe players unhappy that systems were changing from a happy go lucky offense first type system to responsible defensively system.
Personal stats might not be pretty, but team wins will.

could be part of it. in all likelihood, there were multiple factors. i seem to recall that the players were enthusiastic at the beginning of the season and really didn't play poorly out of the gate (even if we didn't show a great compete level or offensive chemistry). maybe it was a bit psychology - players were thinking too much, that kind of thing. still, not bad the first month.

then adversity hit with injuries to key players, barkov's personal issues, etc. and team play fell off quite a bit. lots of mistakes, little finish or compete. some time in january - maurice said he thought the rangers loss was a wakeup - the team begin to compete harder.

maybe they just needed some time to get to know one another and develop the type of team bond you need to have everyone battling for one another? that includes everyone getting to know their new leader, chuckie. that's my feeling at least. lots of turnover and the room lost key players in the team dynamic.

it helped that everyone was getting healthy and estaal was shaking the rust off and beginning to the help the team. suddenly, you have a virtuous cycle starting. bonding, structure and compete lead to wins, which leads to a closer room.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
could be part of it. in all likelihood, there were multiple factors. i seem to recall that the players were enthusiastic at the beginning of the season and really didn't play poorly out of the gate (even if we didn't show a great compete level or offensive chemistry). maybe it was a bit psychology - players were thinking too much, that kind of thing. still, not bad the first month.

then adversity hit with injuries to key players, barkov's personal issues, etc. and team play fell off quite a bit. lots of mistakes, little finish or compete. some time in january - maurice said he thought the rangers loss was a wakeup - the team begin to compete harder.

maybe they just needed some time to get to know one another and develop the type of team bond you need to have everyone battling for one another? that includes everyone getting to know their new leader, chuckie. that's my feeling at least. lots of turnover and the room lost key players in the team dynamic.

it helped that everyone was getting healthy and estaal was shaking the rust off and beginning to the help the team. suddenly, you have a virtuous cycle starting. bonding, structure and compete lead to wins, which leads to a closer room.
I think injuries, sickness, and personal matters have played a big part in the disappointment of the season so far.
Hopefully this season will bring some positivity instead of disappointment.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Yeah, just look at Zito's presser after the deadline. There's no doubt that he sees Maurice as 'the guy'. There's not even a thought in his mind about firing Maurice. So that thought can just be forgotten. Zito basically put all the blame on himself for the average results this season and the less than perfect roster. The EK65 rumors continue to swirl around the Panthers also, I think he's gonna try to give Maurice as much help as he can in the summer with all the cap space. He's all in on Maurice.

If there was a thought in Zito’s mind about firing Maurice, he certainly wouldn’t publicize it. Or at least he doesn’t seem like that type of guy.

Reactions: Prominence Problem

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
The switch happened when they started to try and make plays in the o zone instead of shooting on net any chance they got and hoping for rebounds. Special teams r still a massive problem and that’s usually directly related to coaching. The in zone defense on the cycle is problematic too with a rigid man to man system.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
1714162530989.png

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Preds were inconsistent through the season until it got saved by the U2 concert thing or whatever, big whoop. I'm not hating on Brunette, but not sure that's nomination worthy? Both Bowness and Tocchet just getting the exceeded expectations award. Most people also had Panthers as a bubble team and we played through a lot of injuries to start. Our defense just as good as Winnipeg's.

• Love
Reactions: BabyBennettov

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Bowness, Bruno and Tocchet… which one doesn’t belong….?
Bowness, easy. He is an awful coach who got elite goaltending.

Preds were inconsistent through the season until it got saved by the U2 concert thing or whatever, big whoop. I'm not hating on Brunette, but not sure that's nomination worthy? Both Bowness and Tocchet just getting the exceeded expectations award. Most people also had Panthers as a bubble team and we played through a lot of injuries to start. Our defense just as good as Winnipeg's.
The Preds were bad for 20 games then were a great team. They finished with 99 points, and won 15 or so straight at one point (or something crazy like that). All with an extremely meh roster. Bruno did a lot with very little this year.
Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 2.52.59 PM.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad