Should the Jets resign Wheeler?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd definitely lean towards yes as of right now, but I think something may need to be flexed in his contract if he wants more money (and deserves it too).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it'll take between 35 and 40 million in total, maybe a bit more. My guess is that the Jets go longer term and lower AAV, with a tapering salary.
That would be my hope, and trust Wheeler is one of those guys that finds ways to be effective as he slows down. And short term it would really help the 2019 cap crunch from hell.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
The 8 x 8 was from Marleau's earnings since he was 32 years old. Maybe it's a bit high. How about 8 x 6 dollars.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It really depends on term and cost.

Right now his value is sky high, way above his career norm.

If he would resign for a 3 year, 5-5.5 million per year, I would be all for it.

If he needs over 6 million per year and longer term, I would trade him now.

Another season feeding Scheifele and Laine will just boost his price further away from the true value. If they intend to extend him, they better see what he can currently do with second line. That's the role they would be extending him to.

So actual production is being trumped by some sort of imaginary "true value" that likely won't be reality for another four or five years? The idea that a player of Wheeler's caliber would sign for less than 6 million for three years is simply laughable.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
So actual production is being trumped by some sort of imaginary "true value" that likely won't be reality for another four or five years? The idea that a player of Wheeler's caliber would sign for less than 6 million for three years is simply laughable.

As I said, test him in secondary scoring role because that is what his extension would be about. He will not be a first line winger in his extension years, Jets have a great pool of young wingers that will or have already taken over him in being productive.

You audition a guy for a long time role, you put him in that role and see what he does.

I don't see the benefit for Jets to raise his value to a first line 90+ stud, when he isn't going to be filling that spot in the whole term of contract. If abd when he will be secondary scoring, I would like to see how he does in second line with Little and then hore him for the extension based on THAT.

Does that not make sense? From business side and all?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Yes, but not at the expense of Laine and Connor (or Ehlers, Trouba, Morrissey. None of our young players). Hopefully Chevy can work his magic because Wheeler is a great player and captain. Would love to have him on this team until he retires and for reasonable money.

I'd be open to trading Ehlers, Perreault, or Little, if it means keeping Wheeler. This may be controversial, but if Vesalainen, Roslovic, and Niku also become stars, the Jets are going to be forced to move some pieces, especially if we go on another deep playoff run.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If Wheeler would sign for $7.5 mill or less on a 5 yr deal, then I’d re-sign him. He’s a driver. Or should I say pilot. He leads by example. Solid person too.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
As I said, test him in secondary scoring role because that is what his extension would be about. He will not be a first line winger in his extension years, Jets have a great pool of young wingers that will or have already taken over him in being productive.

You audition a guy for a long time role, you put him in that role and see what he does.

I don't see the benefit for Jets to raise his value to a first line 90+ stud, when he isn't going to be filling that spot in the whole term of contract. If abd when he will be secondary scoring, I would like to see how he does in second line with Little and then hore him for the extension based on THAT.

Smartest thing said said in this discussion. Completely agree with wanting to see what he can do with 2nd line minutes and Little before we pay him the big bucks. Truth is everyone plays great with Chef. You could put Roslo with Chef and he'd put up great numbers. You could put Little with Chef and Little would up first line numbers. Team wouldn't do that as they need little to centre another line just saying..
You put Laine on chef's line and his numbers make this year's numbers look pedestrian.
I disagree with the exact wording as if you are auditioning players for their long term role, long term Perrault is gone. Long term Roslo is your 2c. If your going to contract year but Laine as Chef's winger as Laine is getting paid big no matter what. Without Chef and Laine Wheeler is not having a season year yet anyone can feed laine for shot on pp. Petan would look great in Wheelers role on pp. not as good but still anyone can give Laine the puck.
On the other hand, is Wheeler not being on top line goin to cost them? Probably defensively but offensively laine would more than made up production offensively.

Reactions: Psych0dad

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd be open to trading Ehlers, Perreault, or Little, if it means keeping Wheeler. This may be controversial, but if Vesalainen, Roslovic, and Niku also become stars, the Jets are going to be forced to move some pieces, especially if we go on another deep playoff run.
Would much rather have Ehlers than Wheeler over the next 4 years. Longer term than that choice is even easier. Next season even, I think Ehlers is better but would be a really close one. If you have to move a piece move Wheeler. Less value for what he'll bring than signing a young guy. It will be rewarding him for what he has done. Not will do.

Reactions: Psych0dad

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
set Wheelers to 2nd line to give idea what he can do with his normal position at this moment. give him clue he is to be older every day and very soon other players here takening his spot at 1st line if not already. if he not accepting this there is what it is. this weay many player a go to other club. but othervise player winning over team by getting big moeny and lazying down. make him offer after this season. but maybe Wheelers with sheifele and laine still at 1st line. can be after this not cheap for contract...BUT if signing again...makening SHORT contract. ABSOLUTELY! Amazing stupidty things going on here and there by signing old players for BIG Money for longing conctracts. I - DONT - UNDERSTAND - THIS . getting mascot for dressing room IS cheap. WHY spend it HUGELY MONEY?

also it is time to see over many things at current. lets get to trade the Ehlers. while having high speed but not getting to play teamgame and having not the enough of quality i say try to do a smart trade with this button. and then the obvious trade: buff.

this can be goldmine for Winnipeg....but it is for me hard to Think of stupider team at this League. but maybe maybe...some else club out there can get to take black peter and to get stuck with one of these. …..strange things sometimes a happen. hope for best.

vesalainen propably going to top six straight from this season. getting total new lining at this seasons. very positive would be for club

most important of course...getting laine to MONSTER out with best possbile playmates and richy icetimes from now.

Sir avgard hockeyprofessor

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Would much rather have Ehlers than Wheeler over the next 4 years. Longer term than that choice is even easier. Next season even, I think Ehlers is better but would be a really close one. If you have to move a piece move Wheeler. Less value for what he'll bring than signing a young guy. It will be rewarding him for what he has done. Not will do.

I'd much rather have Wheeler for the next 3 seasons. You have to keep in mind that Wheeler was a late bloomer (his breakout year was 2011-12, age 25), and his best seasons have been 2015-17. You have to factor in the intangibles. Not only is Wheeler a more important piece of the Jets right now, but it's well known in NHL circles that Wheeler is one of the leaders in the locker room, if not the leader.

Drawing a historical parallel, it would be like trading Iginla in 2006. Iginla was the heart and soul of the Flames from the beginning of the millennium until he departed for Pittsburgh in 2013. What have the Flames done since? In six years, they have had one good playoff series against a relatively weak Canucks team, and been blown out twice against the ducks, and missed the playoffs in 4 other seasons. Ignila was finally dealt to Pittsburgh when he was just shy of his 36th birthday.

I have a feeling Wheeler will be more in line with St.Louis, Selanne, and Jagr. He will continue to be a top player until his late 30's. By that time his contract with the Jets will be winding down, if the choose to sign him. It also sends a negative message if the Jets don't pursure Wheeler, who seems to love playing for the Jets. It's not like we are a top destination for UFA's.

Ehlers has the ability to be over a PPG player, but I cannot see him ever becoming a leader for the Jets. Maybe in 3-4 years, Ehlers will eclipse Wheeler in terms of how important he is to the Jets, but that would cover most of any hypothetical contract he is offered by the Jets. It seems as though the people who want to trade or let go of Wheeler, can't see past his age. There have been too many examples in the history of the NHL to disprove the theory that after 30, it's all downhill for a player's career.

Reactions: robertocarlos

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I would say sign Wheeler, but for the life of me I don't know how we will get under the cap for the 2019-20 season. Pretty much everyone including myself wants Trouba, Morrissey, Laine, Connor and Lowry signed long term. You add those contracts to Buff, Little, Scheifele, Ehlers, Helly and then Wheeler. That is 11 players, so just under 1/2 your roster that will come in at around $ 67 - 70 M (taking the average of most posters guesses). Assuming another jump in the cap, every other player on the roster will still need to be someone in the $1 M range. You sure need a lot of ELC guys and even a couple mid level guys like MP and Kuli who are signed for that season will make it impossible. At some point we will have to lose a really good fan favourite just to ice a team. Over paying for Trouba will just make this harder.

It’s all about the Cap isn’t it. This is a tough one for me so I am going to leave it.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
On one hand, he should have little wear on his body since he didn't really make the NHL full time until 25-26. On the other, a lot of his game is based on speed so he might drop off faster when he loses that.

Sometimes you have to stick with what got you there. It sends the wrong message to not re-sign Wheeler. Might as well trade Byfuglien and Little at that point if you're going to let anyone over 30 go. Then you're in a mini rebuild or a bubble team.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it'll take between 35 and 40 million in total, maybe a bit more. My guess is that the Jets go longer term and lower AAV, with a tapering salary.

I think that is too much. 7.5x4 = 30 mil and I think that is close to what it should be. I suppose 7x5 isn't out of sight. I'm not sure he would like 7 with all the bigger numbers showing up in contracts recently.

The tapering salary only helps if he has limited trade protection. I expect he will want the full NMC. Of course, I don't know whether he would accept less or not.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
If they are going to re-sign Wheeler (which I really hope they do) the Jets are going to have to structure a contract much like Tavares' contract with Toronto.
Not in value as I think Wheels should come in between 7 and 8 per year, but the contract should be bonus heavy. What this player has given to the organization deserves that guaranteed and lock-out protected value.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

It doesn't make sense form a business side to make an insulting offer. He is not some kid toiling in the AHL and auditioning for a spot in TC.

It does make sense to consider his likely role going forward. But you also need to consider the fact that he would get far more than that in FA.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
If resigned Wheelers would provide a huge boost for the next 2-4 seasons.

Right now he holds a huge value and I wonder if he could return a young high end center piece from a team that's competing and also looking for wingers. Such as Panthers for instance who are stacked in the middle. Deal around Trocheck of even Borgström would solve a C problem for The Jets and I do not think there will be any shortage for quality wingers moving forward. However I think they will just reward him with the contract. Still something worth to consider in my opinion.

*Sorry wrong thread. Mod?

Flair Hay

Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think if we offer him 40 million total that should be pretty fair. Give it to him over 5 or 6 years.

I like what people are saying about playing him 2nd line because that's where his future role will be. But I dont think that's very realistic since the team will want to be extending him this summer I'd imagine.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
You have to give him big money and you have to sign him for 8 years to reduce the cap hit. You also have to plan on losing a draft pick and some cash to send him to Arizona in the last 2-3 years of the contract. He will also want closer to $50 million and some lock-out protection. NHL players are expensive. If you don't wanna pay, you shouldn't play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad