Should the Jets resign Wheeler?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
OMG the Laine thread infection is spreading! :laugh:

We are talking about Wheelers extension. No need to make it into anything else. Jets things do belong in that discussion and Laine is jets things.

He is also RW in Maurices book and that's why he is even more relevant to Wheeler. If he was treated as LW he would only enter the conversation as a linemate to Wheeler.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
package deals usually involve trading the most valuable asset for lesser assets. The Panthers aren't in a position to be "selling" so it doesn't make sense to downgrade from Trocheck. Another easy way to fix your lack of winger depth is to move a center to wing. It's not that difficult. I didn't say Wheeler was damaged goods. What I said is that extending 30+ year olds almost always ends in disaster. Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, Backes... The results speak for themselves.

To which one are you suggesting is the most valuable asset exactly, Wheelers or Trocheck? Anyhow, it's not rocket science or that complicated really. There are teams that do this every once in a while and move their ageing players if they can still net a worthy return. As for the "Panthers is not selling" - what's that supposed to even mean? Because an organization isn't on the rebuild mode, that doesn't mean it does not or cannot move pieces to try and even further adjust the roster. How many of Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, Backes had a career year or even PPG+ season when they changed the atmosphere the last time around? None of them were on Blake's current level to be honest as far as I can remember. Also it's not like anyone would be ridiculous enough to present the Panthers a deal involving only two players. Like I said I'm almost certain he isn't moving but regardless, his value isn't as low as you seem to imply despite the age.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'd like to see Wheeler back but given his age I think you get Trouba, Morissey and Laine locked up first, bridge Connor and if you can make something that works with Wheeler and if there just isn't enough cap space left you let him walk. The younger players are going to be your core for the next 5-7 years, you get them taken care of then fit veterans around them as you can. If that means letting someone go a year or two early, that's still a lot better than keeping them 3 years too long.

100% this ^

My comment is I love Wheeler and would love to keep all our players but I am not convinced that is realistic.

Therefore “If” we lose Trouba and Wheels gets signed to a big deal next spring and his deal was a factor in is not landing Trouba I will be disappointed. As I said I Love Wheels but he will be 33 when his next deal kicks in and that is old to start a new contract for a team that is just beginning our run. If we were hanging on for one more cup maybe.

Blake has been a warrior but all good things come to an end in sports at some point and we do have him for one more cup run. The cap forces brutal choices and if we are talking the difference between- Trouba or Wheeler for the next 5-6 years it’s Trouba for me.

I have obviously painted one narrow scenario that might not come to pass so hopefully Chevy and Simmons can shoehorn them both in but something has to give somewhere.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
100% this ^

My comment is I love Wheeler and would love to keep all our players but I am not convinced that is realistic.

Therefore “If” we lose Trouba and Wheels gets signed to a big deal next spring and his deal was a factor in is not landing Trouba I will be disappointed. As I said I Love Wheels but he will be 33 when his next deal kicks in and that is old to start a new contract for a team that is just beginning our run. If we were hanging on for one more cup maybe.

Blake has been a warrior but all good things come to an end in sports at some point and we do have him for one more cup run. The cap forces brutal choices and if we are talking the difference between- Trouba or Wheeler for the next 5-6 years it’s Trouba for me.

I have obviously painted one narrow scenario that might not come to pass so hopefully Chevy and Simmons can shoehorn them both in but something has to give somewhere.

If Trouba signs it would take at least this:
Let Myers go and trade Perreault and Kulikov. (easier said then done)
Then keep replacing your bottom six guys with younger and cheaper options. So for the next three years that would be with guys like Petan, Appleton, Vesalainen up front, Samberg, Stanley, Niku on the back end. I'm not a capologist but the team may be fine for three years, then you look at moving out a guy like Little.

Reactions: ps241 and kelsier

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
If Trouba signs it would take at least this:
Let Myers go and trade Perreault and Kulikov. (easier said then done)
Then keep replacing your bottom six guys with younger and cheaper options. So for the next three years that would be with guys like Petan, Appleton, Vesalainen up front, Samberg, Stanley, Niku on the back end. I'm not a capologist but the team may be fine for three years, then you look at moving out a guy like Little.

Exactly. Lets look at some of the names in the roster from last year in no particular order: Wheelers, Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Byfuglien, Trouba, Morrisey, Connor, Myers, Hellebuyck and even Little (who had an awful year but nonetheless). Which ones would you not consider star players at the NHL level now or looking long-term? I would say maybe Little and Myers, and even those two have respectable resumes. There is just no way you can hold on to every single one them and like I already mentioned earlier, I do hope Chevy is exploring different avenues and directions they could take. It might and probably will lead to letting go some of the players. It's easy to argue now that they probably should have let Little slide off after last season, but of course they didn't know at the time that his career might have been in a turning point. Next year will determine if not or if so.

Anyway, in my opinion they should do everything to keep the young core intact and if cut offs are necessary along the way, then try unload whatever you can from the old core cause the future relies on the youth. If that bites back next year but is for the best long-term, will it even matter? There are more prospects in the pipeline and some are already probably ready to take a role. Niku looked excellent and had a terrific season last year. Roslovic (although no longer a prospect) might be able to take on the second line center duties and Vesalainen is probably just one year away from being full time NHL player. That could mean two instant replacements to various roles and three in the next two years (if not more with the other guys you mentioned). There are avenues for sure and I think this is the time when the GM really needs to prove his worth and make the right moves.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Exactly. Lets look at some of the names in the roster from last year in no particular order: Wheelers, Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Byfuglien, Trouba, Morrisey, Connor, Myers, Hellebuyck and even Little (who had an awful year but nonetheless). Which ones would you not consider star players at the NHL level now or looking long-term? I would say maybe Little and Myers, and even those two have respectable resumes. There is just no way you can hold on to every single one them and like I already mentioned earlier, I do hope Chevy is exploring different avenues and directions they could take. It might and probably will lead to letting go some of the players. It's easy to argue now that they probably should have let Little slide off after last season, but of course they didn't know at the time that his career might have been in a turning point. Next year will determine if not or if so.

Anyway, in my opinion they should do everything to keep the young core intact and if cut offs are necessary along the way, then try unload whatever you can from the old core cause the future relies on the youth. If that bites back next year but is for the best long-term, will it even matter? There are more prospects in the pipeline and some are already probably ready to take a role. Niku looked excellent and had a terrific season last year. Roslovic (although no longer a prospect) might be able to take on the second line center duties and Vesalainen is probably just one year away from being full time NHL player. That could mean two instant replacements to various roles and three in the next two years (if not more with the other guys you mentioned). There are avenues for sure and I think this is the time when the GM really needs to prove his worth and make the right moves.

I'm fully supportive of dropping out of contention this year if we can get the right returns on players who are aging, or just don't want to be here or both. My fear is that Chevy will sacrifice the long term to keep this team intact as much as possible for as long as possible. I'm hopeful that reports of Wheeler looking to go elsewhere as an overpaid UFA are true and he will save Chevy from himself, much like Ladd did. Too bad Little wasn't as greedy, but that's another discussion for another thread. I would like to see Wheeler traded now while his trade value is the highest it will ever be. The second worst option is moving him at the TD because we're out of the playoff hunt, and all we get back is a 1st round pick and a prospect. The worst option is being in a playoff spot and having him go all Tavares on us.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Nah, let’s put the money towards Seguin next year:sarcasm:

Love to re-sign the captain, but I think he would want 6+years. Hopefully someone younger in our roster can take the mantle and lessen the sting of possibly losing #26.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Love to re-sign the captain, but I think he would want 6+years. Hopefully someone younger in our roster can take the mantle and lessen the sting of possibly losing #26.

I am on the same wavelength. He will be looking for more than likely his last big pay day contract with a long term. We would have to move a lot of pieces around to keep him which could be detrimental for the future of the team.

Regardless it will be an interesting situation to watch unfold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad