Re-sign Wheeler?

Should the Jets resign Wheeler?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I am having a conversation right now with a couple of people who think we should trade Wheeler now, when he is coming off his best season, in terms of points. My argument against this was that he is too valuable to the Jets as a captain and leader, and he doesn't really have much of a history of injuries, and is having peak seasons at 31. IMHO, we should resign him at $7.5-8.0 million for 5-6 years before his contract is up next season.

What does everyone think about this? Should we keep Wheeler as he is an elite forward, and first line player, or should we let him walk or trade him, so we can free up cap space?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
This will be one f***ing fun discussion to have for the next 11 months.

This might just end up being one of the hardest decisions league wide in a while. There are an enormous amount of factors in play, some of which carry tremendous amounts of risk and pain. And then the emotional ones kick in, and my head goes boom.

As of July 2018, I have no idea whether we should extend him or not.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am having a conversation right now with a couple of people who think we should trade Wheeler now, when he is coming off his best season, in terms of points. My argument against this was that he is too valuable to the Jets as a captain and leader, and he doesn't really have much of a history of injuries, and is having peak seasons at 31. IMHO, we should resign him at $7.5-8.0 million for 5-6 years before his contract is up next season.

What does everyone think about this? Should we keep Wheeler as he is an elite forward, and first line player, or should we let him walk or trade him, so we can free up cap space?

Mostly, I agree. But, if it has to be that high an AAV and that long a term I would rather trade him. You need to draw lines somewhere.

But 7-7.5x4 years, I think we should do. Don't forget, that would be 5 years from now.

^ What he said. :laugh:

Edit: You need a 'Depends' option in your poll.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eyeseeing

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
It really depends on term and cost.

Right now his value is sky high, way above his career norm.

If he would resign for a 3 year, 5-5.5 million per year, I would be all for it.

If he needs over 6 million per year and longer term, I would trade him now.

Another season feeding Scheifele and Laine will just boost his price further away from the true value. If they intend to extend him, they better see what he can currently do with second line. That's the role they would be extending him to.

Reactions: Ippenator

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017

In our position u keep him and go for a cup run. Re-signing I'm 50/50 about he's gonna get a lot of offers in the 7.5x5or6 as a final contract and only way we can afford that now is moving buff. Hopefully we win the cup next year and can worry about this when we have to

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I think the Jets have to keep it at 4 years max, unfortunate part of that is don't see how you keep the AAV under 9 per year ??

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It really depends on term and cost.

Right now his value is sky high, way above his career norm.

If he would resign for a 3 year, 5-5.5 million per year, I would be all for it.

If he needs over 6 million per year and longer term, I would trade him now.

Another season feeding Scheifele and Laine will just boost his price further away from the true value. If they intend to extend him, they better see what he can currently do with second line. That's the role they would be extending him to.

Interesting point.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I think the Jets have to keep it at 4 years max, unfortunate part of that is don't see how you keep the AAV under 9 per year ??

We gave Buff a $7.5 million/year x 5 years at 31, and considering Wheeler is a late bloomer (breakout season 2011-12), and had a career year, I think it is worth the risk to sign him for a 5 year term. I doubt we would get a return equal or greater than him if we traded him now.

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
Before last year, I was on the fence about re-signing Wheeler.

What he showed last year as captain was that he really drove this team (And deserved more Hart consideration)!

True North, in the culture that they are building are sure to "reward their hand-picked captain" and offer him a fair contract to extend.

I'm thinking that because he is in his 30's and not expecting him to remain a PPG player for too long, 5 years, around 7 million. (Similar to Buff's deal)

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
If you wait, you risk losing him to free agency just like Tavares. To valuable like him walk for free.

Unlike the Islanders losing Wheeler doesn't force us to retool our roster.

Unless the Jets regress to a non-playoff team there is no reason to trade Wheeler. Keep him for another cup run, there's nothing wrong with using your own players as rentals when you have a competitive team.

Ares

May 8, 2018
Keep him as long as you can - for as cheap as you can. If he's not willing to sign a team friendly deal then trade trade trade. Aging vets are not the ones you pay big bucks to.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Before last year, I was on the fence about re-signing Wheeler.

What he showed last year as captain was that he really drove this team (And deserved more Hart consideration)!

True North, in the culture that they are building are sure to "reward their hand-picked captain" and offer him a fair contract to extend.

I'm thinking that because he is in his 30's and not expecting him to remain a PPG player for too long, 5 years, around 7 million. (Similar to Buff's deal)

I sure hope so, but considering Stanley got $6.5 million, and is nowhere near Wheeler's level, and is 32 to boot, we may be looking north of $8.0 million

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I wouldn't re sign wheeler for that long

guys who played like wheeler usually regress the most. very physical style of play

i'd give him 4 years max

Reactions: bennysflyers16

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I sure hope so, but considering Stanley got $6.5 million, and is nowhere near Wheeler's level, and is 32 to boot, we may be looking north of $8.0 million

Stastny has a decelerating contract 7.5M-6.5M-5.5M.. I'd offer Wheeler the same sort of structure. Start at low to mid 8's and knock off 500k-1M per year or something like that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad