RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018, 12th, NYI)

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yup. I don't think he'll be a top offensive player but he is the full package, similar to a guy like Pietrangelo imo. I saw picks 3-7 as extremely close, with Tkachuk, Kotkaniemi, Dobson, Zadina, and Hughes all being players I would have been happy with at 4. I am happy with the Sens decision but I definitely think Dobson can be the 2nd best DMan in this draft.

I agree. I don’t think he will be an offensive dynamo but I think he projects to be a really good smart 2way Defensman that contributes at both ends.

He’s had the Pietrangelo comparison for awhile and I love it. If he can come anything slows to Pietrangelo I would be ecstatic. The isles haven’t had a legit homegrown Top pairing Defensman for a long long time.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Saw him play Friday. He scored, took a couple penalties but looked pretty good as I expected. He's supposed to go to Chicoutimi and they will move him from there I assume since next year is their year. He will do very well wherever he ends up.

Most likely spots are probably (someone else correct me if I'm wrong)

Rimouski
Moncton
Baie Comeau
Royun

Not sure who has the assets to make it work. Value will be high because the Memorial Cup is in the Q this year.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I agree. I don’t think he will be an offensive dynamo but I think he projects to be a really good smart 2way Defensman that contributes at both ends.

He’s had the Pietrangelo comparison for awhile and I love it. If he can come anything slows to Pietrangelo I would be ecstatic. The isles haven’t had a legit homegrown Top pairing Defensman for a long long time.

I'm glad you said this because I just looked into it and wow!

Drafted Redden, Chara and Brewer from 1995-1997... none of those players were developed in NY, though.

McCabe and Kasparitus, also drafted by the Isles, also played most of their years elsewhere...

A lot of the guys drafted before the aforementioned players are ahead of my time, but would I be wrong in saying the last true top DMan you guys drafted and developed was Potvin?

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Drafted Redden, Chara and Brewer from 1995-1997... none of those players were developed in NY, though.

McCabe and Kasparitus, also drafted by the Isles, also played most of their years elsewhere...

A lot of the guys drafted before the aforementioned players are ahead of my time, but would I be wrong in saying the last true top DMan you guys drafted and developed was Potvin?

I’ve brought this up but really Potvin is the only franchise Defensman that the isles have ever drafted and kept.

Dobson is the most talented Defensman drafted since Brewer and Berard before that.

( chara wasn’t seen with such great potential when drafted )

Kasperitis was my very first favorite hockey player!
He was awesome but he was never a legit top pairing Defensman either.

Reactions: TheBradyBunch

Konk

Mar 11, 2008

Chara sure was developed by the NYI, spent his first four years with them. The problem was, he started to become a star player immediately after he left.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Chara sure was developed by the NYI, spent his first four years with them. The problem was, he started to become a star player immediately after he left.

Yes, fair, he was developed by them but never played a top pair role for them. He did develop a lot in Ottawa, though, and even in Boston. I think each move was necessary for him to become the player he ended up as but who knows.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
I think what Dobson needs is a trade. Halifax would make the most sense, as would Rouyn-Noranda.
Halifax are pretty unlikely to acquire Dobson but wouldn’t count them out that’d be amazing! Rouyn Noranda or Moncton would be the most likely to acquire Dobson in my opinion.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It’s inevitable. I just wish it would hurry up. His team pretty much gets nuked no matter how well he plays, but such is the way of the CHL (for the most part) and the aftereffects of going to the Memorial Cup.

Hasn't Dobson been traded to Chicoutimi already? Just have to wait until the trade can be official in December. Is that not still the case?

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The Sags have acquired his rights but might trade him because they don't think of contending this year, according to this (french):
Les Saguenéens échangeront Noah Dobson - TVA Sports

I would love that. Would love to see him in Halifax.

Isles draft pick Durandeau is there and one of Dobson’s close friends Morand is there as well.

One of my favorite Defensman in the draft last year was McIsaac. Wanted the isles to draft him so bad. He and Dobson would make an awesome pair for Halifax.

Just looked at the stats and Gravel is playing really well for them stat wise. They could be really scary if they add a big time #1 Defensman like Dobson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killerjas

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

That is pretty crazy actually.

I think he ends up in Halifax or Moncton.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
That is pretty crazy actually.

I think he ends up in Halifax or Moncton.

Montcon is ahead in the standings and I think leading the division actually but I feel Halifax is built better and will eventually pass them. As an islanders fan I prefer Halifax for Dobson.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Yikes how bad is that team? -22 in 19 games. I dont think ive seen someone with a higher +- than GP with like a minimum of 15 gp.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Yikes how bad is that team? -22 in 19 games. I dont think ive seen someone with a higher +- than GP with like a minimum of 15 gp.

Absolutely awful, last weekend my Eagles had 98 shots in 2 games against them and the Eagles aren't even a top 5 team.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Montcon is ahead in the standings and I think leading the division actually but I feel Halifax is built better and will eventually pass them. As an islanders fan I prefer Halifax for Dobson.
Both Halifax and Moncton were hopefuls to host the Memorial Cup this year. They have an extremely strong team. If I was a Moncton fan I'd be purchasing Cup tickets. There's a good chance they can win their way there but if not come to Halifax for a week in the spring and enjoy some great hockey.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
As a Haligonian Islander fan, I concur!

Reactions: SI90

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I would add Drummondville to the list of teams that could be interested. They have a good team with Veleno up front and Rodrigue in goal. They just crushed both Moncton and Halifax this weekend on the road. Now they are getting Comtois back from Anaheim.

They could easily be a top contender if they added Dobson to the blueline.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I would add Drummondville to the list of teams that could be interested. They have a good team with Veleno up front and Rodrigue in goal. They just crushed both Moncton and Halifax this weekend on the road. Now they are getting Comtois back from Anaheim.

They could easily be a top contender if they added Dobson to the blueline.
Do they have any picks left to trade lol? If I remember correctly they gave 5 first round picks just for Veleno...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad