Proposal: Habs moving a D?

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
With the signings of Lane Hutson and Adam Engstrom, Montreal open to moving a defenseman or two.

Habs listening to offers on inexpensive d-men, NHL proven, under team control for a number of years.
For those who don’t follow the Habs, the mostly likely names available would be Harris, Struble (both LD) or maybe Barron (RD) or Matheson (LD).

Last edited:

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
:devils WPG 1st + Barron or Harris

:habs Alex Holtz
The question to ask: will Holtz be better than Roy this time next year? If Montreal is going to move a D in a package for a forward, I'd like to aim higher and have a real reason to put Roy back in Laval.

What would the ask on Barron be from the Sharks?
Your 2024 second.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Habs not moving Wifi, Guhle or Reinbacher. Reluctant to move Mailloux.
I think Matheson could be moved for the right offer.

Out of the 3 listed above, I would be willing to move Wifi in a hockey trade for the right young, high-potential forward. He holds a lot of value to the Habs IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
For those who don’t follow the Habs, the mostly likely names available would be Harris, Struble (both LD) or maybe Barron (RD).
Here is how I'd describe them:
They are young guys who've shown NHL qualities but still need to be developped. Barron probably has the highest upside (upside being close to Petry-level) but also the lowest floor, Struble might be a Chiarot-type in his prime, and has at times been a very dependable D, but hasn't shown that yet when in a top-4 role, and Harris is probably going to be a complementary piece if he's in the top-4, the kind of guy fans want to get rid of but coaches keep around until a kid really takes his place and he ends up having a journeyman label at the end of his carreer. Both Harris and Struble have some capacity to play RD - it's not ideal, but it isn't a catastrophe, either.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think Matheson could be moved for the right offer.

Out of the 3 listed above, I would be willing to move Wifi in a hockey trade for the right young, high-potential forward. He holds a lot of value to the Habs IMO.
Moving Matheson won't happen when the goal is to be at least in the playoff race next year and no one is close to taking over his minutes.

Xhekaj is still the only legit toughness on this team, and I see him at worst as a staple on the 3d pairing. I don't see the team moving the one guy who has that physical dimension, moreso with relative smurfs like Caufield and Hutson eventually taking key roles on the team.

No deal. If you’re interested in a forward in a similar situation as Barron, fine, but we’re not moving 33rd overall for him.
Well, I think pick value in the early 30s might be a good comparison point, though - look for a similar forward who a team could legit ask for a pick in the 30s in exchange for, and we'll be in the ballpark, value-wise.

Reactions: biturbo19

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If you're in a position where your alternative is likely placing 1 of Harris/Barron on waivers, the returns will not be large.

:devils WPG 1st + Barron or Harris

:habs Alex Holtz
Call NJD if/when 1 of Barron or Harris goes on waivers

Reactions: MisterT

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
For those who don’t follow the Habs, the mostly likely names available would be Harris, Struble (both LD) or maybe Barron (RD) or Matheson (LD).
of these, Rs only interested in Barron given shortage of RD league wide and in NY, tho while Jones is lefty, he can play right side

If we are talking only Barron, I can see Vesey and with an asterisk, Wennberg.
I'm not sure if player's contract holds to last date club contends, last date to win the Stanley Cup, or other later date in June.

So Wenn is a full ufa at that pt. Rs gonna give that slot to Edstrom. So he's a throw in if circumstances permit, giving Habs small first chance dibs to sign.

Vesey is a productive bottom 6 who has spelled higher in pinches.
Rs should be making room for Othmann + Berard this yr and possibly Gabe P next.

If as expected we move Trouba to recover most of his 8 per cap, Barron as actual righty RD is a strategic fit.

Habs move excess D for useful F help on correct side of 30.

Habs not moving Wifi, Guhle or Reinbacher. Reluctant to move Mailloux.
MON should not be moving those guys for ordinary currency returned. Something exceptional should be a discussion.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
of these, Rs only interested in Barron given shortage of RD league wide and in NY, tho while Jones is lefty, he can play right side

I'm not sure if player's contract holds to last date club contends, last date to win the Stanley Cup, or other later date in June.

So Wenn is a full ufa at that pt. Rs gonna give that slot to Edstrom. So he's a throw in if circumstances permit, giving Habs small first chance dibs to sign.

If as expected we move Trouba to recover most of his 8 per cap, Barron as actual righty RD is a strategic fit.

MON should not be moving those guys for ordinary currency returned. Something exceptional should be a discussion.
Vesey will be 31 before the Cup is won. He is useless to Montreal's rebuild.

If you're in a position where your alternative is likely placing 1 of Harris/Barron on waivers, the returns will not be large.

There are 30 other teams who might offer something. I don't expect either of these guys to ever end up on waivers - they'll make the big team or get traded.

Barron's play at the end of the season showed he'd learned a few things in the AHL after being sent down.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With the signings of Lane Hutson and Adam Engstrom, Montreal open to moving a defenseman or two.

Habs listening to offers on inexpensive d-men, NHL proven, under team control for a number of years.
Are they both sure fire locks to play in the nhl from day 1 next season?
They probably have to figure out which young D are actually going to be part of the team moving forward.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Are they both sure fire locks to play in the nhl from day 1 next season?
They probably have to figure out which young D are actually going to be part of the team moving forward.
Neither is a lock, but Montreal already had a lot of D, and Barron will now be waiver-eligible, and promising prospects like Hutson, Engström, Reinbacher and Mailloux could all push for an NHL role, so it's a fair assumption that Montreal will move some bodies on defense shortly - whether it's Kovasevic for a middling pick, or a higher-end player for something of more value, is what we can't know yet.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Neither is a lock, but Montreal already had a lot of D, and Barron will now be waiver-eligible, and promising prospects like Hutson, Engström, Reinbacher and Mailloux could all push for an NHL role, so it's a fair assumption that Montreal will move some bodies on defense shortly - whether it's Kovasevic for a middling pick, or a higher-end player for something of more value, is what we can't know yet.
We need to aim at yhe lower end of the spectrum with these trades.

Kalyev, Kakko, others who have fallen off the top 6 but have potential.

Ultimatly they don't hold enough value to return serious assets.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

awful for montreal

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
We need to aim at yhe lower end of the spectrum with these trades.

Kalyev, Kakko, others who have fallen off the top 6 but have potential.

Ultimatly they don't hold enough value to return serious assets.
My hope is to see someone like Harris packaged with the Winnipeg first and get a Newhook-style player, ie, a guy who finished his ELC and his team is in a cap crunch and doesn't see him as part of the future core.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

They wont.

Guhle
Barron
Harris
Kivacevic
Matheson
Savard

Will stay in MTL. The other 2 spots.(We'll carry 8 dman) Will be open

Hutson Reinbacher Engstrom will start in Laval. Mailloux Struble likely the guys that stay in MTL.

Hughes has shown with Primeau he wint lose a young asset for nothing.

Why are Habs helping NYR in their vap crunch by trading a.young NHL dman for crappy old players who have no shot at playing on their top9?

Reactions: viceroy

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Why are Habs helping NYR in their vap crunch by trading a.young NHL dman for crappy old players who have no shot at playing on their top9?
Well, Vesey isn't a bad contract per se, he's just of no use to Montreal.

If NYR plan on moving Trouba to fix their cap crunch, that's of no concern to Montreal unless he's moved here - in which case it would likely require a sweetener of some kind.

Trouba + Kakko for Barron ? Kakko is the sweetener, to which the rental price for Trouba is likely added in March '25. This gives MTL another RD for just one season so Reinbacher and Mailloux don't need to be rushed... but they'll have room soon enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad