RD Jamie Drysdale (2020, 6th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'm actually surprised he hasn't had more of them (being an 18 year old stepping in the the AHL). It was a learning experience for him and he responded very well to it (some really good defensive plays and the goal) and the goal against didn't hurt the team. If he has 1 really bad mistake ever hand full of games but creates chances every single game, I'd be fine with it in the long run (but I think he's good enough that he'll cut down the mistakes over time).
He really puts a lot of pride on his defensive game, it has come up in many interviews. He wants to control the game with and without the puck.

Reactions: EXTRAS and lwvs84
Oct 18, 2011
I think that Jake Sanderson and Keith are much more comparable when Keith was approximately the same age (not the Norris winning peak Keith who was a lot closer to being dynamic rather than quietly effective/steady on most nights).

Sanderson and Keith are both better skaters than Drysdale, whos no slouch, but most scouts agreed that Sanderson was the best in his class in that area. And they both player a more aggresive and physical game, while having a similar stature at around 6'1 200lbs.

And they both play a reliable two way game that is based around primarily around elite skating, strong defensive positioning, and making subtle but high IQ plays in all 3 zones. And like Keith had prior to his peak NHL seasons and during his time as a college prospect, Sanderson also has that tantalizing possibility of untapped offensive potential when hes fully developed.

Every one of his coaches (from prestigious programs) seem to go out of their way to point out that hes more capable offensively than his stat line would suggest.

Personally, I see a lot of Morgan Reilly in Drysdale. A solid but not spectacular puck moving Dman thats able to eat decent minutes and get some points, but might get in a bit of trouble if his team expects him to carry the load both offensively and defensively. More of a #2 or #3 in an ideal world.
LOL what

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
I think that Jake Sanderson and Keith are much more comparable when Keith was approximately the same age (not the Norris winning peak Keith who was a lot closer to being dynamic rather than quietly effective/steady on most nights).

Sanderson and Keith are both better skaters than Drysdale, whos no slouch, but most scouts agreed that Sanderson was the best in his class in that area. And they both player a more aggresive and physical game, while having a similar stature at around 6'1 200lbs.

And they both play a reliable two way game that is based around primarily around elite skating, strong defensive positioning, and making subtle but high IQ plays in all 3 zones. And like Keith had prior to his peak NHL seasons and during his time as a college prospect, Sanderson also has that tantalizing possibility of untapped offensive potential when hes fully developed.

Every one of his coaches (from prestigious programs) seem to go out of their way to point out that hes more capable offensively than his stat line would suggest.

Personally, I see a lot of Morgan Reilly in Drysdale. A solid but not spectacular puck moving Dman thats able to eat decent minutes and get some points, but might get in a bit of trouble if his team expects him to carry the load both offensively and defensively. More of a #2 or #3 in an ideal world.
Hahahahahahahha we got a comedian over here

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Has a very Miro Heiskanen vibe thus far in San Diego.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
After watching all the gulls games including pre season I have him Right behind zegras. He's f***in good.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Wasn't one of the questions about his game was the shot? Seems to me if hes able to skate into the shot a little bit it's quite good and accurate
Not sure if it was for Drysdale, perhaps. But these young guys have time to work on different stuff to become better. Drysdale has the hockey brain and skating at really really high level, almost everything else can be teachable/trainable.
I am still not sure how dynamic he will be offensively at the NHL level though. The way he's wrapping up points not sure if would fly much in the NHL. But we'll see, he's still 18 and I'm really excited to be a Ducks fan.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
He really puts a lot of pride on his defensive game, it has come up in many interviews. He wants to control the game with and without the puck.

And that has been the biggest revelation to what were his detractors. His game away from the puck was seen as suspect. He has quieted those naysayers and then some!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He was always considered to be vg defensively. Because he is under 6', a great skater, and has offensive skills and imagination he was lazily characterized as a an offense only PMD, but that has never been the case. That's one reason he was considered a top 5-6 in the draft. Two way dmen are very valuable.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He was always considered to be vg defensively. Because he is under 6', a great skater, and has offensive skills and imagination he was lazily characterized as a an offense only PMD, but that has never been the case. That's one reason he was considered a top 5-6 in the draft. Two way dmen are very valuable.

This exactly + scouting sometimes IS lazy, especially in the NHL.

The biggest thing i have always wondered about the NHL, why does the scouting suck so much in the NHL?
it has always sucked, now i admit, i might use too harsh word; suck, but it shouldn't be at the level where it is at,
NHL is the best league in the world, the NHL teams scouting should be way better.
- NHL teams should hire more people, to actually go to see hockey games, all around the country and Europe as well
early days nobody couldn't care less travel to Europe (mostly), then it got better, then bad again, then better,
but this new generation with its easy access to everything, its advanced and analytic stats and what nots...
has downgraded the scouting again, made it lazy

Oct 18, 2011
This exactly + scouting sometimes IS lazy, especially in the NHL.

The biggest thing i have always wondered about the NHL, why does the scouting suck so much in the NHL?
it has always sucked, now i admit, i might use too harsh word; suck, but it shouldn't be at the level where it is at,
NHL is the best league in the world, the NHL teams scouting should be way better.
- NHL teams should hire more people, to actually go to see hockey games, all around the country and Europe as well
early days nobody couldn't care less travel to Europe (mostly), then it got better, then bad again, then better,
but this new generation with its easy access to everything, its advanced and analytic stats and what nots...
has downgraded the scouting again, made it lazy
Scouting is an inexact science in every sport. If there were ways to make it easier it would be reflected in the pick order. Then you get variables like growth spurts, injuries, and off the ice issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad