RD Jamie Drysdale (2020, 6th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Truth is, no one knows if Drysdal, Sanderson, Rossi, or Raymond will be the better player. I love Drysdale. His skating is great, but can we forget that Sanderson is also a great skater? They both appear to be above average defensively, but Sanderson has size on Drysdale. You don't have to be big to play good D, but it helps in certain scenarios. I would've taken Drysdale if I was OTT, but it's not like taking sanderson was a bonehead move. Just because he is up in North Dakota he is off the radar, but he is developing fine.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I wish Dyrsdale could just be praised without it turning into a Drysdale vs Byram like during the WJC, or Drysdale vs Sanderson now.

It is so early there is no way we can say one will be better then the other. Right now Drysdale is playing above expectations on the top pairing in the AHL. He is playing so well there is conversation about him being the best Ducks prospect above Zegras.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm just not so sure that I agree that Physical Tools are limited to Size and Speed. What about agility, endurance, strength, flexibility, Balance, ect?

I'm sure everyone has their own definition to some degree, but for me speed would incorporate agility and endurance, while size would incorporate strength, balance, etc...

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I wish Dyrsdale could just be praised without it turning into a Drysdale vs Byram like during the WJC, or Drysdale vs Sanderson now.

It is so early there is no way we can say one will be better then the other. Right now Drysdale is playing above expectations on the top pairing in the AHL. He is playing so well there is conversation about him being the best Ducks prospect above Zegras.
It's largely only other team fans that come here and make those ridiculous comparisons. Such a shame, really. That's why better to keep Jamie talk on the Ducks board :laugh:

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

yeah, it's silly. Watching Drysdale perform the way he is, seems to bother others, as it highlights their teams mistakes and shortcomings.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
It's largely only other team fans that come here and make those ridiculous comparisons. Such a shame, really. That's why better to keep Jamie talk on the Ducks board :laugh:
it's just jealousy.

go to the prospect threads of those mentioned, they have no activity at all. It's actually comical.

Just ignore and stick to discussion on drysdale.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is exactly how I see it, but I would hold out hope that his offense can be a pleasant surprise (has been so far in AHL - I know there is a long way to go though).

I agree. I compared him to Makar before the draft, and I know some people don't like that comparison. I think they mostly misunderstood what I meant. I don't think he naturally plays with the same level of offensive instincts to play such an aggressive offensive game, but if that improves and he starts playing a more aggressive offensive game, I think he has the raw offensive skills to be a 50+ point player. I think what's keeping him from that is more that he doesn't play as high-risk/high-reward naturally as someone like Makar, but I believe the same type of tools are there that Makar has.

Reactions: Getz2noone

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
And yet many (most) of the greatest all time are around 5'11:

• Bobby Orr
  • Ray Bourque
  • Paul Coffey
  • Denis Potvin
  • Doug Harvey
  • Eddie Shore
  • Chris Chelios
  • Phil Housley
  • Scott Niedermeyer
  • Brian Leetch
  • Erik Karlsson
  • Brad Park
In fact, very few of the greats when it comes to Defensemen are over 6'

That's somewhat skewed by old data...

6'1+ Norris winners, post 97:
Josi
Burns
Hedman
Doughty
Keith
Chara
Lidstrom
Pronger
MacInnis
Blake

This also doesnt include some of the best DMen of this generation in Weber, Suter, Byfuglien, Gonchar, Carlson, Pietrangelo, etc (although your list left out some great smaller DMen too)

6'1+ Norris winners, pre 97
Langway
Wilson
Robinson
Howell
Laperriere

Just to be clear, I'm not saying Drysdale's size will limit him at the NHL level... I had him top 5 in the draft and think he could have gone as high as 3 or 4 on many teams lists and maybe even 2nd on some. Just don't think your argument here is entirely fair.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
As one of the people who had Drysdale at #2 prior to the draft, it is tempting to feel validated by his apparent success. But, it's been just a few games at this point, makes it difficult to draw any sort of far reaching conclusions from that. Of course it's good to see him make the splash right out of the gates as a pro. I actually thought he had a 50/50 chance to step into the NHL this year, so am really curious to see if the Ducks give him a few games at some point, want to see how he holds up against NHL level speed.

One important point for me is that while a lot of attention is given to Drysdale's skating, what made him a truly elite prospect in my eyes was his decision making. Just a superbly intelligent player IMO.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
As one of the people who had Drysdale at #2 prior to the draft, it is tempting to feel validated by his apparent success. But, it's been just a few games at this point, makes it difficult to draw any sort of far reaching conclusions from that. Of course it's good to see him make the splash right out of the gates as a pro. I actually thought he had a 50/50 chance to step into the NHL this year, so am really curious to see if the Ducks give him a few games at some point, want to see how he holds up against NHL level speed.

One important point for me is that while a lot of attention is given to Drysdale's skating, what made him a truly elite prospect in my eyes was his decision making. Just a superbly intelligent player IMO.
Hes been nothing short of exceptional in the AHL so far. He really isbsetting himself apart. Its a shame others couldnt see it. Im n9t sure id burn a year of ELC though. They be smart not to go past 9 games this year. Its not worth it. Wait until next year, and he probably challenges for tge calder trophy.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
What I like (in limited viewing/knowledge) of Drysdale is his versatility. Sounds like in juniors, he was asked to be an offensive d-man (almost PPG last season) and he was good at it (a consensus top 10 pick). During juniors, he was asked to be a defensive d-man to Byram and up until the finals, that pair was spectacular. Now in San Diego, Drysdale is playing all situations (PK, PP, top pair 5v5) and excelling at that too as a 2-way d-man. I said it about Zegras, and I think Drysdale has this too, both have the mentality that they will not fail. These two are willing to do whatever it takes to be successful at the next level and aren't letting the pressure get to them.

I think what Drysdale ends up being will depend on who he's paired with at the NHL level, give him a good DFD as his partner and he'll open up and be a good OFD. If you need him to babysit a risk taker, he can do that too. Put him with a guy that can play D or push the puck and those two can take turns depending on who has the open ice. The question will be does he end up being a top pair guy or top 4/second pairing guy? He's trending really well, and hopefully becomes the first home grown elite 1D for the Ducks.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
What I like (in limited viewing/knowledge) of Drysdale is his versatility. Sounds like in juniors, he was asked to be an offensive d-man (almost PPG last season) and he was good at it (a consensus top 10 pick). During juniors, he was asked to be a defensive d-man to Byram and up until the finals, that pair was spectacular. Now in San Diego, Drysdale is playing all situations (PK, PP, top pair 5v5) and excelling at that too as a 2-way d-man. I said it about Zegras, and I think Drysdale has this too, both have the mentality that they will not fail. These two are willing to do whatever it takes to be successful at the next level and aren't letting the pressure get to them.

I think what Drysdale ends up being will depend on who he's paired with at the NHL level, give him a good DFD as his partner and he'll open up and be a good OFD. If you need him to babysit a risk taker, he can do that too. Put him with a guy that can play D or push the puck and those two can take turns depending on who has the open ice. The question will be does he end up being a top pair guy or top 4/second pairing guy? He's trending really well, and hopefully becomes the first home grown elite 1D for the Ducks.

I do not believe your description of Drysdale as a junior is correct. Points aside (a lot of talented junior level players put up gaudy numbers simply because they play inordinate amount of minutes), Drysdale was a 2-way D in junior, at least in my eyes. It is tempting for a player of his talent to ignore D, but I think his defensive ability in the AHL and the WJC doesn't just come out of the blue. I thought he always played with one eye on D in junior, and has not taken as many risks as other players of similar talent level. In fact, I think that made some people question his offensive upside, and propelled Sanderson to be picked higher due to perhaps more traditional physical frame for a 2-way/defensive D. In my eyes, Drysdale played the game the right way, and I think he can become a #1D for the Ducks in the future.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I feel like you made my point? That was the best list you could come up with and undoubtedly there are fantastic D-Men who are 6'1 or taller, but most of the all time greats are 5"11 - 6'

Given height distribution in the general population and in hockey I’d bet there are more 6’3” + per capita greats than 5’10 ish greats/capita
There are just less of them that exist but when they come along they have a greater likelihood.

Dude, all of these players have Norris trophies. Many of them more than one.
I’m a little surprised you’ve never heard of Nik Lidstrom ;)

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I do not believe your description of Drysdale as a junior is correct. Points aside (a lot of talented junior level players put up gaudy numbers simply because they play inordinate amount of minutes), Drysdale was a 2-way D in junior, at least in my eyes. It is tempting for a player of his talent to ignore D, but I think his defensive ability in the AHL and the WJC doesn't just come out of the blue. I thought he always played with one eye on D in junior, and has not taken as many risks as other players of similar talent level. In fact, I think that made some people question his offensive upside, and propelled Sanderson to be picked higher due to perhaps more traditional physical frame for a 2-way/defensive D. In my eyes, Drysdale played the game the right way, and I think he can become a #1D for the Ducks in the future.

Oh OK, I didn't watch him play and just went off people talking about him as an offensive d before the draft.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia

...and another thing...he'll never be as good as MacAvoy. He's not even in the same ball paaaaark...:laugh:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Given height distribution in the general population and in hockey I’d bet there are more 6’3” + per capita greats than 5’10 ish greats/capita
There are just less of them that exist but when they come along they have a greater likelihood.

Dude, all of these players have Norris trophies. Many of them more than one.
I’m a little surprised you’ve never heard of Nik Lidstrom ;)
Randy Carlyle won a norris trophy and was only 5'10 in his playing days.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Ok. That doesn’t really have anything to do with anything...we already have a list of 5’10 Dmen. There are defintely lots of great ones.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Agreed, and the fact that he can skate and think at speed is so important. Lots of burners out there, but they can't process quickly enough. Jamie doesn't seem to have this issue.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Historically good start in the AHL as a 18 year old d-man., 6th point in 6th game.

Amazing skater tonight. He walks the line as fast as some skate forward.

Zegras was again a giveaway machine tonight because he's so weak on the puck. Folks need to watch AHL games instead of stat watching. Peyton Krebs is also incredible weak on his skates.

Thankfully the AHL is EHCL quality this season so the 2019 draft class can learn without being destroyed.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Amazing skater tonight. He walks the line as fast as some skate forward.

Zegras was again a giveaway machine tonight because he's so weak on the puck. Folks need to watch AHL games instead of stat watching. Peyton Krebs is also incredible weak on his skates.

Thankfully the AHL is EHCL quality this season so the 2019 draft class can learn without being destroyed.
I've watched every single Gulls game including preseason. Your Zegras evaluations are horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad