Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 3- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I thought Dahlin had one of his best games of the season. Standing up to Barzal. I think Dahlin is going to add a bit of toughness to his game to protect himself better.

Borgen and maybe Samuelsson are eventually coming too for that; Pekar. There's some skilled aggression coming.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I thought Dahlin had one of his best games of the season. Standing up to Barzal. I think Dahlin is going to add a bit of toughness to his game to protect himself better.
He better add toughness cause at this point no one else is going to stand up for him

Correct

Jan 30, 2015
I watch Dahlin and I see an offensive savant and good, sometimes great, defenseman who is learning the nuances of the position. His moments of genius on defense (very frequent), seem to be an extension of his overall hockey genius, rather than defensive genius (does that make sense?).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he will never be better on defense than he is naturally on offense. It's too late now, but I wonder if he should have stayed being a forward. He could have been the greatest defensive forward of all time.

Watching him closely in the 3rd period tonight, I think it's almost wasting his offensive potential playing him at the point. He needs to play closer to the net. I would consider playing two forwards, Dahlin, and two defensemen on the PP. He's that good.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I watch Dahlin and I see an offensive savant and good, sometimes great, defenseman who is learning the nuances of the position. His moments of genius on defense (very frequent), seem to be an extension of his overall hockey genius, rather than defensive genius (does that make sense?).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he will never be better on defense than he is naturally on offense. It's too late now, but I wonder if he should have stayed being a forward. He could have been the greatest defensive forward of all time.

Watching him closely in the 3rd period tonight, I think it's almost wasting his offensive potential playing him at the point. He needs to play closer to the net. I would consider playing two forwards, Dahlin, and two defensemen on the PP. He's that good.

I had suggested that last year. It's not a popular take, though I agree 100% with you.

I do think he could be a Selke winning, point per game center. Basically, a significantly improved version of ROR

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
j2v215ps2db41.jpg

He'll probably pass everyone on this list except for Housley by the season's end. And Housley split his time between forward and defense. (And also never actually played defense.)

I have a funny inkling this Dahlin kid might just have a pretty special career ahead of him.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
j2v215ps2db41.jpg

He'll probably pass everyone on this list except for Housley by the season's end. And Housley split his time between forward and defense. (And also never actually played defense.)

I have a funny inkling this Dahlin kid might just have a pretty special career ahead of him.

And just look at the era's the guys he is competing with.

He is on track to be a bigger, better Karlsson.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Still just 19 years old, Dahlin is on pace to become the second highest-scoring teenage defenseman in NHL history, with 70 points so far through his first two seasons with the Buffalo Sabres. He'll surpass Bobby Orr, Aaron Ekblad, Larry Murphy and Rick Hampton as long as he gets seven more points this season. (He's not catching No. 1, though; Phil Housley's 143 points over two teenage seasons is a bit out of range.)

Seems attainable if he remains healthy.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Seems attainable if he remains healthy.

From that quote, it sounds like they're counting any points scored in seasons where the player started as a teenager, rather than points actually scored as a teenager. E.g., Ekblad turned 20 in February of his sophomore year. Guarantee you not all 75 of his "teenage" points were scored before then.

Either way, Dahlin is getting to #2 on the list, barring a long-term injury, but perhaps worth noting since Dahlin won't turn 20 until after this season is over and done.

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad