Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 3- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I only move him in a gross, build a statue of the GM type move.

I.e

Couturier
Raffl
Frost
York
Farabee/Rubstov/Brink
Roddy Ross - Strictly because every team should have someone named "Roddy"
1st

For

Dahlin
Okposo

So I get one much older less impactful nhler, a couple nhl depth guys that replaceable, and cap hits, and a few lottery tickets that maybe do something in two to three years. And I save 4 million in cap for okposo's hit vs usefulness.

And my defense goes back to average at best and I'm wasting Eich for a couple more years while we hope to find a fix at defense.

It's a lot of quantity, but I don't see how we are better.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

I.e

Couturier
Raffl
Frost
York
Farabee/Rubstov/Brink
1st

For

Dahlin
Okposo

So.. Kyle is the sweetener that puts that over the top...

I was thinkin eichel and dahlin reinhart for draft picks.. We could promote the guys in rochester to see if anyone steps up and proves they can play w our bevy of picks.. At least i would be forced to download more movies for entertainment at home..

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I also wouldn't move him for nothing short of a major haul as I think there is at least a 50/50 chance he is a hall of famer

At a MINIMUM, I'd demand anyone take Okposo off of our hands as a major cap dump along with .
a MASSIVE return

The package around Rantanen I would want at a minimum would be

Dahlin Okposo

Rantanen, 2020 first round pick, 2020 second round pick, 2021 first round pick, 2021 3rd round pick (basically, Rantanen, and high end RFA compensation). Short of that, HELL NO to trading Dahlin

This is what some of us are talking about. No. You are getting a good winger who plays with an elite superstar center. Great. But now my defense is overmatched and has minimal offensive talent.

I'm getting late picks in the rounds you are getting, so nobody is even in the nhl for 2-3 years if they ever make it.

And 4 million or so of cap space from Okposo, but Rantanen's salary eats all that plus.

You maniacs are not even dreaming up high enough ganja dreams. Here's a package I would consider from Colorado.

Kadri, Byram, Newhook, Kaut, 2020 first, 2021 first.

And even then I think I likely regret it.

I know its fun to think of crazy deals, but Erik Karlsson carried Ottawa to a conference final. Niedermayer and Pronger carried teams for their entire careers.

Buffalo has never had one, but a truly elite defender is irreplaceable, particularly in today's cap world.

Look at what Carlson is doing in Washington now and realize he is not as talented as Dahlin.

Reactions: EmeraldCitySabre

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland

I.e

Couturier
Raffl
Frost
York
Farabee/Rubstov/Brink
1st

For

Dahlin
Okposo

As one of the few on here who doesn't hate our GM's guts, that might do it.

Build a statue of Fletcher maybe...

I think there is at least a 50/50 chance he is a hall of famer

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
A trade for Dahlin doesn't exist.

You aren't going to find a better (or younger) D man.

Spare parts aren't going to do shit.

Getting a F is at best a lateral move but also most likely wouldn't get done seeing as teams don't often trade the calibre of player it would take. I'd also rather have the D.

Reactions: seagull

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If I’m looking to move Dahlin only;

My expectation of a package that would be close to reality would include:
20-25 year old 1st line winger
2 1st rounders
1 A Prospect
1 B Prospect

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
One on one he's no different than a forward playing D. Seems like when an opposing forward recognizes they have him one on one they pull out the tricks and dummy him

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So I get one much older less impactful nhler, a couple nhl depth guys that replaceable, and cap hits, and a few lottery tickets that maybe do something in two to three years. And I save 4 million in cap for okposo's hit vs usefulness.

And my defense goes back to average at best and I'm wasting Eich for a couple more years while we hope to find a fix at defense.

It's a lot of quantity, but I don't see how we are better.
You would think everyone here would've learned a very painful lesson about doing quantity for quality trades, but it appears not to be the case. Entertaining the thought of trading Dahlin is complete insanity, and even given my very low opinion of Botts I know even he would laugh and hang up the phone if any other team asked about him. Reminds me of an old story about Inter Milan trying to buy Jinky from Celtic and Jock Stein replying that they'd sell him to them... For £100,000 a game. They never inquired about his availability again.

Reactions: seagull and Snippit

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
One on one he's no different than a forward playing D. Seems like when an opposing forward recognizes they have him one on one they pull out the tricks and dummy him

I agree here. He gets beat way too much 1v1.

But offensively we can see lately that he’s becoming a regular threat, and he’s just scratching the surface.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
So much evident talent but still so much work to do. Takes way too many penalties. Way too f***ing many. Elite playmaking and offense but still is not PKing and not playing all that much. I honestly expected way more after his rookie year/first month this season. I blame the concussion and him being 19 years old.

But still, for all the superlatives and the fact he was the best D prospect since Potvin I want more. He must take that step next season. He simply has to be a 60+ point 24 minute a night shutdown #1 dman next year.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
So much evident talent but still so much work to do. Takes way too many penalties. Way too ****ing many. Elite playmaking and offense but still is not PKing and not playing all that much. I honestly expected way more after his rookie year/first month this season. I blame the concussion and him being 19 years old.

But still, for all the superlatives and the fact he was the best D prospect since Potvin I want more. He must take that step next season. He simply has to be a 60+ point 24 minute a night shutdown #1 dman next year.
Hopefully he fixes his problems before he turns 20. Time is ticking.

Artemis Clyde Frog

Feb 1, 2019
So much evident talent but still so much work to do. Takes way too many penalties. Way too ****ing many. Elite playmaking and offense but still is not PKing and not playing all that much. I honestly expected way more after his rookie year/first month this season. I blame the concussion and him being 19 years old.

But come on, many penalties he's taken have been soft compensation penalties cuz BUF's been on the PP before or more in the games. Sure you can blame him for not anticipating it but to me it feels like a comment someone makes just looking at the stats when in fact he's been quite unlucky with many calls refs usually don't give. And if he wasn't playing on the edge he would probably be even worse defensively.

And him not playing more and almost no PK is on Smith & Krueger. Apparently they think he will be the PK King all of a sudden in 1-2 seasons after almost 0 experience.

It feels they've taken the approach to mostly play his strengths this season probably cuz they don't want to burn him out and cuz they don't think his d is good enough, even tho there are quite many you can question on this team in their own end... that isn't 19 and with a projected franchise/generational future.
I'm sceptical towards Smith in general, not only when it comes to RD26.

Reactions: Kyndig

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Was probs posted after drafted but have to remember the type of player we have.

Dahlin + 1 or 2 years could most likely get us into the playoffs with what we have now, and that doesn't include anything else we have coming.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Any talk of trading Dahlin should get a short ban (kidding but kinda not really)

Hey now, don’t you know that the popular new trend is to propose whatever good players on the team of which we can probably count on one hand and offer to trade them as a way to get better? Because dealing good players for magic beans is the Sabre way! That’s how we got to watch this mess, don’t stop tradition.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Any one has access to eliteprospects ?
There is a reranking of the 2018 draft
By Jd Burke ( is he viable?)
Just curious what he said about Dahlin & if he reranked him ;)
You never know
Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad