Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 3- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Last edited by a moderator:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There are some press types who have already expressed their opinions on it - guys like Friedman and Shannon who were public with their ballots. I don't expect Dahlin to win it at all.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
If Heiskanen fans have beef it should be with Binnington, yeah I know how important he is to the Blues success, but 25 yr olds who play 33 games shouldnt be eligible imo, even if he is a 'rookie'.

Guy was drafted 8 years ago.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
If Heiskanen fans have beef it should be with Binnington, yeah I know how important he is to the Blues success, but 25 yr olds who play 33 games shouldnt be eligible imo, even if he is a 'rookie'.

Guy was drafted 8 years ago.
He's important to the blues by virtue of being mediocre or better, because that's all they needed. Too many people are acting like Jordan dragged a bad team out of the pits of hell like Hasek and those Sabres teams. In reality, he gave them stability instead of the worst goaltending in the league like they were getting before, which allowed their hockey team, which was an utter defensive machine, to get the results it actually deserved by posting the best defensive metrics of any NHL team by a fair margin down the stretch.

What Dahlin, Heiskanen, and Pettersson had to do for an entire NHL season was way more difficult than what Jordan had to do for 30 games. As a result, their accomplishments are way more noteworthy.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
The Calder cutoff should be at 23 and Heiskanen should be a finalist. I don't even think goalies should be eligible, I don't trust any of them before they've played at least two full seasons (nevermind one half).

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The Calder cutoff should be at 23 and Heiskanen should be a finalist. I don't even think goalies should be eligible, I don't trust any of them before they've played at least two full seasons (nevermind one half).
I don't trust goalies ever unless they're legitimate all-timers.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Dahlin does receive a bonus from the league due to his being a Calder finalist. Anywhere from $100k to $212.5k depending on where he ends up. As far as the other bonuses he may be eligible for, well, that requires a bit of looking into and unless someone else beats me to it, I'll save that for sometime later.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Dahlin does receive a bonus from the league due to his being a Calder finalist. Anywhere from $100k to $212.5k depending on where he ends up. As far as the other bonuses he may be eligible for, well, that requires a bit of looking into and unless someone else beats me to it, I'll save that for sometime later.

I know he's got max bonuses in his contract, but I have no clue what the performance targets are for them. I think. it's probably safe to assume he hit a couple of them, though.

Reactions: muhmuhMatt

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Okay, so now that it's not 5:30 AM, let's talk bonuses. There are two different categories of bonuses, "A" bonuses and "B" bonuses. For each set there is a maximum amount of money that can be assigned to that category (total) and also a maximum amount that can go for each item in that category (for "A" bonuses).
So for "A" bonuses, the total amount cannot exceed $850k. Furthermore, there cannot be more than $212.5k assigned to any specific item (that is to say, while a player may earn up to $850k in "A" bonuses, he cannot earn more than $212.5k in bonuses for the number of goals he scores). There are 10 different things for which a defenseman can earn "A" bonuses. Note that we do not know what the specific requirements were for Dahlin, but there are minimum standards that are required for the various items so we can know whether or not Dahlin would be eligible to earn a bonus under that item.
i) Ice time. A player must be in the top 4 in ice time on his team to qualify (a player may receive bonuses both for total ice time and ice time per game, but they cannot total more than $212.5k). In Dahlin's case, he was either third or fourth on the team in average ice time (it is unclear whether or not Montour qualifies, I'd assume he doesn't) and second in total ice time. So Dahlin could receive a bonus based on his ice time.
ii) Goals. A defenseman must score at least 10 goals to be eligible for a bonus here. Dahlin does not qualify.
iii) Assists. A minimum of 25 is required here, which Dahlin meets. I'll note here that while 25 is the minimum number of assists that a player can receive a bonus for, that is not necessarily what Dahlin's bonus is for. Also, while he could hit a bonus for 25 assists, he could also receive a further bonus for a higher number, so long as those bonuses do not total more than $212.5k.
iv) Points. 40 points are the minimum for bonus eligibility here, so Dahlin could also receive bonuses in this category.
v) Points per game. .49 points per game is the minimum qualification here, so Dahlin again qualifies.
vi) Plus-Minus. The player must be among the top three defensemen on the team in that category. Considering game played requirements, it looks like Dahlin is tied for third here, which means he should be eligible.
vii) Blocked shots. The player must be among the top two defensemen on the team to qualify. Dahlin is 5th here, so does not qualify.
viii) Making the NHL All-Rookie Team. We do not have the results here yet, but it seems a given that Dahlin will make it, so he will be eligible here.
ix) Selected for the NHL All-Star Game. This did not happen. Dahlin is not eligible for bonuses here.
x) All-Star Game MVP. Likewise, it's hard to be the All-Star MVP when you aren't selected in the first place.

So what we have learned so far is pretty much nothing. There are numerous bonuses that Dahlin hypothetically is eligible for, but we have no idea what was actually written into his contract. We only know there are a few things that Dahlin could not have gotten bonuses for as he did not meet the minimum requirements to be eligible for a bonus there, but we do not know how many, if any, of those were things for which he had a bonus in his contract.

On to "B" bonuses. "B" bonuses are based on league awards or league-wide achievements. While the League itself gives out bonuses for these items, teams are likewise able to give their own bonuses beyond what the League provides, noting that there are some areas where the league may grant a bonus but the team cannot, and also provided that the team cannot assign more than $2M in potential "B" bonuses in a season.
The team can give bonuses for the following awards: Hart, Richard, Vezina, Jennings, Norris, Conn Smythe, Selke. That's it. While the league gives out bonuses for a few other awards (such as the Byng and Calder, or being a First or Second Team All-Star), teams cannot. So Dahlin is not eligible for any "B" bonuses from the Sabres due to being a Calder finalist.
Furthermore, defensemen can earn bonuses for being top-1o in the league (among defensemen) in the following categories: Goals, Assists, Points, Ice Time, Points Per Game. Dahlin was tied for 29th in goals, tied for 21st in assists, tied for 21st in points, 70th in Ice Time per game, 38th in aggregate Ice Time and tied for 29th in points per game. So he does not qualify for any bonuses either from the League or from the Sabres here.

So, to sum everything up, while Dahlin may have met any or all of the "A" bonuses negotiated between himself and the team, it appears he did not meet any of the "B" bonuses. While he will receive a bonus from the league based on his Calder finish, he will not receive any bonus from the Sabres for doing so. The maximum amount in bonuses that Dahlin could have met this season is $850k.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
I don't trust goalies ever unless they're legitimate all-timers.
This. I've seen way too many goalies catch lightning in a bottle during the playoffs only to crap the bed in year 2 of a newly earned 5 year contract. It's the story of the Philadelphia Flyers.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Sabres' Dahlin really enjoyed his first NHL season

Dahlin_9.jpg

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) - Rasmus Dahlin is one of the three finalists for the NHL’s Calder Trophy that recognizes the rookie of the year.

Dahlin was very good this season, but I don’t think there’s any question that the best is yet to come.

The Swedish defenseman was 18-years-old throughout the season and he made plays that others just can’t make. He also struggled in his own end at times as his young body got overpowered, or he’d try to force things that weren’t there.

The Sabres had no defensive structure whatsoever, so I have to believe a new coach will help him with that.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I know it’s too early to predict because of roster questions, but would it surprise anyone to see Dahlin hit 60 points next season?

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
For that, to happend, we have to have secondary scoring

Agreed, but I think 30 more games of top PP time will add a few points as well. I also expect him to be running the umbrella with Jack and VO, which is a huge step up from Jack and KO.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
If 18 yr old Dahlin hit 44 and he has an off-season to train and prepare I don’t see how 60 isn’t possible.

Granted secondary scoring will be big but he’s the type of player that can drive offense on the rush and bring up secondary scoring.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I know it’s too early to predict because of roster questions, but would it surprise anyone to see Dahlin hit 60 points next season?

Nope. A full season of top 4 minutes + PP1 + (hopefully) decent coaching, in conjunction with whatever developmental steps he takes.. I wouldn't be surprised if he made that leap. If we can get to having >1 line that's an actual scoring threat, that would help a ton, too. (Obviously, as a d-man, a lot of his assist numbers are going to come from breakout passes, so having forwards that can actually convert a good breakout into a finished scoring opportunity would be big.)

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If 18 yr old Dahlin hit 44 and he has an off-season to train and prepare I don’t see how 60 isn’t possible.

Granted secondary scoring will be big but he’s the type of player that can drive offense on the rush and bring up secondary scoring.

floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad