Post-Game Talk: Rangers win 3-2, Devils fall out of a playoff spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don't understand how people here don't get the fact that we have the defense to offense transition of a 6 year old pee wee team. Now you want to put a leash on the only guy that tries.

we cant score more than 2 goals atm. we need fayne in for one of harrold or zids and thats pretty ****in clear to me. we need to prevent goals better bc of our less than stellar scoring ability:rant:

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I don't understand how people here don't get the fact that we have the defense to offense transition of a 6 year old pee wee team. Now you want to put a leash on the only guy that tries.

Telling a defenseman not to go behind the goal line isn't putting a leash on him.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
As I see it he goes below the goal line because that is the forecheck he is supposed to do, since he is de facto playing a forward's game with the center or winger covering for him. Doing something in between would put him in no man's land sort of.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Here is some food for thought. How much better would this team look right now had Josefson and Tedenby actually turned out into something productive vs. the bums that they currently are? Out of the two, JJ is the one I'm really disappointed with more as he actually has some brains and can play the game, but for whatever reasons, he can't figure out a way to make any form of an offensive impact. And not only that, this season has seen his defensive game go to crap too. I know he's been injured and all but just think about it for a second. His injuries and poor play have opened the door for both Henrique and Loktionov and they BOTH quickly passed him on the depth chart as a result. What is that telling us? The ship has sailed in regards to Tedenby, I believe, and it's not looking too good right now with JJ. It just sucks because you look at this roster, with the lack of depth and scoring, and there you see two of our top picks doing dick right now. Now throw in all of the other wasted picks that have been traded recently and it's scary to think the road this team may be going down.

As for the current group, they need to tighten up their game and go from there. There is no other way. The brain farts and lapses in coverage need to stop like yesterday if they want any chance at making the top 8. I'd accept the team losing much better if I didn't have to constantly watch turnover after turnover every damn game. I get that they're banged up and that they're trying. That's great and all, but the mental lapses need to be kicked to the curb. Last night was a comedy of errors and it's sad because the Rangers played a pretty lousy game. Same thing on Friday vs Philly. These points are literally being pissed away.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I don't understand how people here don't get the fact that we have the defense to offense transition of a 6 year old pee wee team.

I've been saying it for the past 5 years now. Our transition game is bordeline mediocre and we need someone ala Dan Boyle to change that god awfull transition game.

Don't even get me going on the fact that they can't provide any offense at even strenght, let alone the PP. My head almost exploded yesterday when Volchenkov managed to score a goal.

I think we've been THE worst team in the past 5 or 6 years when generating offense from our blueline. That has to change if we want to win Lord Stanley and it's no one surprise that Bryce "Niedermayer" Salvador was a key player for us last year in our cup run, cause of the offense he brought to our team.

Now that Salvador is off the pipe and has fallen back down to earth, we're back to where we were.

vozl59

Jan 15, 2009
Middletown, NJ
The offensive awareness/ability of this team, ESPECIALLY/MOSTLY the defense is very bad. D shots cant hit the net with a beach ball, they fumble passes back and forth along the blue line until they knock it out of the zone themselves, cant handle passes, dump ins with no vision for the developing play of our forwards. you can not sustain quality offense with these constant mistakes forcing forwards to clear the zone or turnovers.

This team has the tools once Marty is back. The D and O can do better and their effort for the most part has been there, which is perhaps most important. A quality Number 1 D-man is sorely needed and a punch to the top 6 also, someone with actual skill and SCORING ability! I said we'd miss Zach the most in shootouts and that's been obvious. when Kovy misses in a shootout, I pretty much lose hope, that's sad. our guys cant pick a corner or even hit the net all too much...

And the PP?! don't even get me started. wish we could decline them! 3 on 1 against us on the PP, what a joke! what are they telling these guys, "we have an extra skater so no one has to try" or was it "pass on shooting opportunities and pass over and over again until something goes wrong"

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
yeah I'm really sick to continuously hear "...and [insert a Devils defence-man name here] shots wide". I'm nauseous just to think about it

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
Here is some food for thought. How much better would this team look right now had Josefson and Tedenby actually turned out into something productive vs. the bums that they currently are? Out of the two, JJ is the one I'm really disappointed with more as he actually has some brains and can play the game, but for whatever reasons, he can't figure out a way to make any form of an offensive impact. And not only that, this season has seen his defensive game go to crap too. I know he's been injured and all but just think about it for a second. His injuries and poor play have opened the door for both Henrique and Loktionov and they BOTH quickly passed him on the depth chart as a result. What is that telling us? The ship has sailed in regards to Tedenby, I believe, and it's not looking too good right now with JJ. It just sucks because you look at this roster, with the lack of depth and scoring, and there you see two of our top picks doing dick right now. Now throw in all of the other wasted picks that have been traded recently and it's scary to think the road this team may be going down.

As for the current group, they need to tighten up their game and go from there. There is no other way. The brain farts and lapses in coverage need to stop like yesterday if they want any chance at making the top 8. I'd accept the team losing much better if I didn't have to constantly watch turnover after turnover every damn game. I get that they're banged up and that they're trying. That's great and all, but the mental lapses need to be kicked to the curb. Last night was a comedy of errors and it's sad because the Rangers played a pretty lousy game. Same thing on Friday vs Philly. These points are literally being pissed away.

While true regarding JJ, its not like there are any picks around him that are tearing up the league..I wanted schroeder that year, but he's not doing much either. We can only hope some more time in the A helps him gain confidence and improve his game in the O zone. His skating has improved tremendously, but he just hasn't put it together yet...

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Next six games before we play Bruins are beatable opponents. I say our playoff spot will be determined during those games. We fall behind there and it will be real hard to recover with all those 3-point games that will be all over the league at the end as always.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
While true regarding JJ, its not like there are any picks around him that are tearing up the league..I wanted schroeder that year, but he's not doing much either. We can only hope some more time in the A helps him gain confidence and improve his game in the O zone. His skating has improved tremendously, but he just hasn't put it together yet...

Yeah, I won't play armchair GM and say that someone else should have been picked in place of these two. I trust the staff when they make their picks, for whatever reasons they have, but the bottom line is that these two haven't worked out yet and the clock is ticking. It just sticks out like a sore thumb when you see the current forward corps and you have a guy like Gionta playing on the top line. **** that noise. In no way, shape or form was JJ slated to play in Albany this season. That wasn't the plan at all.

This team is hurting real bad right now, that's pretty much all I can say for sure.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
No, he meant forecheck.

And I just have a systematic issue with a D becoming F1 - I.e., the deepest forward - when we're having glaring defensive problems and an inconsistent goaltender. A pinch is fine, moves him up to the dots or so... gets involved in the play, and then drops back to the blue line.

He's carrying the ****ing puck past the goal line and wide out like Gretzky. I don't think this is a great idea with our depleted forward corps.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
CBGB was reunited with about 4 minutes left in the game last night, they had about a minute straight of uncontested zone time.

These injuries have really killed us. Our team is built on the premise of being able to roll 4 quality lines. I'd argue we have zero quality lines at the moment.

As much as I hate to say it, I wouldn't mind if Poni missed a game so it forces the coaching staff to put Kovy with a legitimate offensive player.

onefatsurfer

I speak in code
Feb 10, 2009
Jersey Shore
Moose has played fine the last 5...Goals last night...bad play by Moose yes...but harrold lost the puck along the boards and a great bat out of the air.....2nd horrid D coverage...3rd...maybe..but it was nash from 15 ft...he does have 300 NHL goals...Moose was not the problem the past week or so

Everyone keeps putting the blame on anyone other than Hedberg. Fact of the matter is, when we've needed him to stop the puck, he hasn't done it. End of story. Sure, maybe they're not all "his fault", but these are stoppable situations, and Hedberg just doesn't make the save. That shot from Nash was not that good of a shot. Hedberg's legs were open as wide as a two dollar hooker in a room full of rap stars on that shot, and he didn't even try to close them. His puck handling ability is beyond awful, and blaming Harrold for losing the puck after Hedberg had all day and still couldn't clear isn't really fair to Harrold. We have been doing the same old song and dance with Moose since his stinker game against the Islanders.

Deboer has been riding him out, which is fine if you're in a normal season and have your starter coming back soon, but this stretch has knocked us out of playoff position without much time to make back the ground we've lost. He should have been splitting games with our 3rd string (or better yet, ride the warm hand :naughty:) since he got smoked out in the game against Toronto however many games ago.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
I actually mean forecheck, pinched he already has but he follows it up by staying "forward" even if the puck goes down in the corner. Normally a forward would take over there and the D goes back to his spot. Maybe that should still be called pinching I don't know. My point is it's not a lazy play, it's just a bit risky.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
No, he meant forecheck.

And I just have a systematic issue with a D becoming F1 - I.e., the deepest forward - when we're having glaring defensive problems and an inconsistent goaltender. A pinch is fine, moves him up to the dots or so... gets involved in the play, and then drops back to the blue line.

He's carrying the ****ing puck past the goal line and wide out like Gretzky. I don't think this is a great idea with our depleted forward corps.

Thanks. Did you have time to think about the summer league?

onefatsurfer

I speak in code
Feb 10, 2009
Jersey Shore
Zidlicky's defense is a whole other issue. It's like he forgot he's a defenseman and thinks he can just roam wherever the hell he wants. What happened to the Devils being a structured team?

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

I believe that is exactly what Lou was banking on coming into this season. It doesn't happen that often, but he turned out to be wrong. I think most people expected JJ to continue his development and be a significant piece of our core this year; Tedenby less so but there was still some optimism there before the season started.

This is why I call people out for being armchair GM's after the fact. It's so easy in hindsight to say that Lou should have known things wouldn't pan out. If JJ and Teddy played up to their potential, everybody would think Lou is a genius for letting old man Sykie go and moving the team forward with younger and faster forwards.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I don't see this a a forecheck personally but more that he pinches too deep and then, he does not know when to stop, he's literally chasing the puck once he starts it.

I'm nitpicking.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I don't see this a a forecheck personally but more that he pinches too deep and then, he does not know when to stop, he's literally chasing the puck once he starts it.

I'm nitpicking.

Little bit of that ;)

I think that the when a player shifts from trying to keep the puck in the zone by sliding up from the blue line to the dots or hash marks and then winds up being the deepest guy in the zone, that's the difference between a pinch and being a forechecker.

If you're a defensemen and you're forechecking (chasing the puck behind the goal line & putting pressure on their d-men) then you are playing a very undisciplined and unstructured game. Or a needlessly complex game where a forward has to become a defensive player.

Now, when we have our typical line up - and some semblance of forward depth - this isn't as big of an issue. We can play a smarter, more complex game. But right now, with our lines? Ugh. Not to even begin to mention Marty's ability to play a 2-on-1 is virtually a bajillion-million times better than Hedbergs...

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I actually mean forecheck, pinched he already has but he follows it up by staying "forward" even if the puck goes down in the corner. Normally a forward would take over there and the D goes back to his spot. Maybe that should still be called pinching I don't know. My point is it's not a lazy play, it's just a bit risky.

My take;

pinch means attempt to hold the blue line by stepping up to the puck along the boards and attempting to corral or play it back in; hence your are pinching the play to the boards before it comes up ice. Ideally this allows either the D to play the puck deep into the corner for more cycling, or the winger comes up past the D to allow him to release from the puck and get back into position.

This term is often used whenever a D man moves up on the play anywhere around the offensive zone but forechecking, going deep into the zone, etc... is something else entirely and the main focus of my issues with his play. If it were just him getting exposed trying to pinch too much, that can be a problem as well, but it's not the sore spot for me. Following the 3 attackers into the zone and not releasing back to D and always taking a slapper high and wide off the glass are my biggest issues. Yes ideally the forwards should take note and someone cover for him but they don't and that doesn't exempt him from blame altogether when he repeatedly does it and it goes the other way for a goal or scoring chance.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
My take;

pinch means attempt to hold the blue line by stepping up to the puck along the boards and attempting to corral or play it back in; hence your are pinching the play to the boards before it comes up ice. Ideally this allows either the D to play the puck deep into the corner for more cycling, or the winger comes up past the D to allow him to release from the puck and get back into position.

This term is often used whenever a D man moves up on the play anywhere around the offensive zone but forechecking, going deep into the zone, etc... is something else entirely and the main focus of my issues with his play. If it were just him getting exposed trying to pinch too much, that can be a problem as well, but it's not the sore spot for me. Following the 3 attackers into the zone and not releasing back to D and always taking a slapper high and wide off the glass are my biggest issues. Yes ideally the forwards should take note and someone cover for him but they don't and that doesn't exempt him from blame altogether when he repeatedly does it and it goes the other way for a goal or scoring chance.

Is there an echo in here?

I love when a higher level coach then myself agrees with my thoughts. Definitely validation of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00