Post-Game Talk: Rangers win 3-2, Devils fall out of a playoff spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
The people that want Zidlicky gone are out of their minds. I thought he had ONE bad turnover last night which was a little bad luck too. He creates more offensive chances than our forwards do! Everyone complains we don't shoot enough... he does! The coaches know how to handle it. That's why he was with Salvador last night... a defensively responsible defenseman giving Zids a little freedom to help lead an attack.

The turnover isn't the issue, it's that he's consistently ending up below the offensive goal line. This means either a 2-on-1 the other way is likely - which happened often last night - or a forward is playing at the point which leads to less than ideal defensive zone coverage.

Not to mention he ends up on halfboards all the time where he's pretty weak. Not a good situation at all to generate offense or keep a stable defense.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
The turnover isn't the issue, it's that he's consistently ending up below the offensive goal line. This means either a 2-on-1 the other way is likely - which happened often last night - or a forward is playing at the point which leads to less than ideal defensive zone coverage.

Not to mention he ends up on halfboards all the time where he's pretty weak. Not a good situation at all to generate offense or keep a stable defense.

That's what offensive defensemen are supposed to do. It's the forward's responsibility to cover when that happens. We probably have the WORST defensive group in the entire league when it comes to D to O offense... the only guy that actually tries around here is getting lambasted.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I'm ok with Zidlicky staying in but Harrold should come out Thursday. It was vomit inducing watching him try to play defense. His work on the PP was shaky yesterday as well. If our forwards could score a few it would take the need for both of them in the lineup at once away.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
That's what offensive defensemen are supposed to do. It's the forward's responsibility to cover when that happens. We probably have the WORST defensive group in the entire league when it comes to D to O offense... the only guy that actually tries around here is getting lambasted.

Offensive defenseman are supposed to be able to carry the puck up out of the defensive zone to center ice and make a crisp pass to a forward or a solid dump in.

They are NOT supposed to end up behind the goal line ALL the time. That's just sloppy play at some point.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

he tries it at the expense of our defense, and sometimes porous goaltending of late. at this point, i'd rather him just play a sound defensive game, or put someone in the lineup who is capable.

sorry, but youre trying to say he is contributing offensively 'at least', so he should get a pass.

he has 3 goals in 30 games (zajac-like territory :sarcasm: ) 8 of his 13 total points comes from the PP. thats nice and all, but we need to bench players only capable of playing on the PP. unless we're on the powerplay 15 times a game, which is doubtful.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
the spell he casts is a strong one... Gandalf will break it.

0.jpg

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Wouldn't be ok with benching Zid...but I would be in favor of dressing 7 D, severely limiting Zid's even-strength time, and continue putting him out there for the PP.

Greene-Larsson
Salvador-Fayne
Volch/Tallinder-Harrold
Zidlicky

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Wouldn't be ok with benching Zid...but I would be in favor of dressing 7 D, severely limiting Zid's even-strength time, and continue putting him out there for the PP.

Greene-Larsson
Salvador-Fayne
Volch/Tallinder-Harrold
Zidlicky

wait, wouldnt that mean less Kostopolololkokolos?

no dice.

onefatsurfer

I speak in code
Feb 10, 2009
Jersey Shore
this team - Hedberg + Marty + Zubrus + Loktionov is so much better it's not even funny. Just swapping Moose for Marty is gigantic. If we can get Lokti back as well, and Zubrus back soon enough, we'll be alright.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
When a team doesn't score enough goals, its offensive players, those who are getting paid to show up regularly on the scoreboard will always try to force the issue. They can't help it, It's a knee jerk reaction.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
this team - Hedberg + Marty + Zubrus + Loktionov is so much better it's not even funny. Just swapping Moose for Marty is gigantic. If we can get Lokti back as well, and Zubrus back soon enough, we'll be alright.

I can't wait to NOT be nervous anytime a Devils's goalie has to play the puck.

BulletTheBlueSky

Feb 25, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
Why is everyone sucking this year. Ultimately this is the issue. Henrique has fallen on the lazy train, elias is making bonehead plays, salvador is our of position, zidlicky is always out of position, hedberg has been atrocious.

Why, oh why has everyone been terrible individually.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
lack of confidence caused by losing caused by a crap goalie giving up crap goals.

i am fully on the "no more hedberg" campaign.

Moose has played fine the last 5...Goals last night...bad play by Moose yes...but harrold lost the puck along the boards and a great bat out of the air.....2nd horrid D coverage...3rd...maybe..but it was nash from 15 ft...he does have 300 NHL goals...Moose was not the problem the past week or so

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Mr. Harrold has a tendency to make sure every player on the opposing team gets hit in the shin guards by his shot. :help:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
People who say we don't score many goals we need Zids in have to realize that rationale works both ways. Like, we don't score many goals with Zids, why not put a better defense-first defenseman in Fayne in to give up less goals? You can sub Harrold for Zids on that sentence if you'd like. I'd rather have less breakdowns and give up less goals with this current team than have the helter skelter risk-reward and inconsistency of Zids in. Sometimes one bad giveaway/goal is the game for us and we any afford that. Anyway that's my take.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

People who say we don't score many goals we need Zids in have to realize that rationale works both ways. Like, we don't score many goals with Zids, why not put a better defense-first defenseman in Fayne in to give up less goals? You can sub Harrold for Zids on that sentence if you'd like. I'd rather have less breakdowns and give up less goals with this current team than have the helter skelter risk-reward and inconsistency of Zids in. Sometimes one bad giveaway/goal is the game for us and we any afford that. Anyway that's my take.

That's the damn truth... especially if we're having a hard time scoring more then a goal per game.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I don't understand how people here don't get the fact that we have the defense to offense transition of a 6 year old pee wee team. Now you want to put a leash on the only guy that tries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad