Post-Game Talk: Rangers win 3-2, Devils fall out of a playoff spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Anyone have video of that horrendous dive by Hank?

almost forgot about this- my favorite moment of the night. his own player his him with an elbow, and he goes down. eyes closed. seeing stars. trainer comes out.

oh, we got the PP. ok, im fully healed. divine intervention!

I mean, I know marty has done it too, but he does it when someone ELSE runs into him. and he doesn’t STAY DOWN for the trainer until someones in the box. laughable. long live ‘the king’

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Lol TG's blog's comments are usually pretty ridiculous but I like the one that says that you can't call a turd a rose - referring to this team. Never heard that one before.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I am just glad we shouldn't have to see Hedberg on Thursday. Seeing him in net makes me sick, because I know he's going to give up at least one, usually 2 bad goals. This loss falls squarely on his shoulders, the Devils played well enough to win, and they should have, if Moose didn't let in the pathetic goals that he did. Hopefully, we won't have to watch him play any more than 1 or 2 games from here on out. He is the main reason we are out of a playoff spot right now, letting in 4 or 5 goals in so many games.. How can anyone have confidence on this team when they know if they give up the puck, even a soft shot will fly right through his wide open 5-hole?

Here is the problem with placing this loss on Moose. It completely ignores just how piss poor the Devils defensive coverage was last night. I just read TG's recap of the game and it was a big topic in the post. Whether it's the lack of scoring, this team can't defend for **** a good deal of the time. Losing sucks and I can't stand it as much as anyone, but there are different ways to lose and the Devils are finding really ugly ways to do it. When you work as hard as they do and have zero results to show for it, something is very very wrong and it isn't called bad luck.

The Rangers generated 22 shots last night and for large stretches they didn't do a damn thing out there. But they still could have easily walked away with 6 or 7 goals. Take the game winner for example, how many times was Nash completely wide open during this game? All of the open looks in front of Hedberg? It was awful.

I'm happy to see Marty back as well but I'm not getting my hopes up. In terms of stopping the puck, I don't see how anything will change vs. Hedberg being in there tbh. Marty will definitely help with the breakout and puck moving, but I just don't see how much of a difference he'll make if the team plays the same way in front of him as they did for Hedberg.

Hedberg has definitely had some shaky moments over these last 13 games, but the dude rarely got any help whether it be from a solid defensive effort or goal support. I just think he's an easy excuse for a currently very mediocre lineup that is constantly finding ways to lose games.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I am just glad we shouldn't have to see Hedberg on Thursday. Seeing him in net makes me sick, because I know he's going to give up at least one, usually 2 bad goals. This loss falls squarely on his shoulders, the Devils played well enough to win, and they should have, if Moose didn't let in the pathetic goals that he did. Hopefully, we won't have to watch him play any more than 1 or 2 games from here on out. He is the main reason we are out of a playoff spot right now, letting in 4 or 5 goals in so many games.. How can anyone have confidence on this team when they know if they give up the puck, even a soft shot will fly right through his wide open 5-hole?

I'm in this camp. Yes the offense has been non existent, but the goalie has been way below average. It might not be fair to moose since he is a backup in a condensed schedule but then it falls on Lou for getting the old man duo.

Too often in the last month have I said I wish Moose was not in net. Finally he won't be on Thursday. Stay healthy marty!

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Goal scoring has been an issue with this team for a long time. For the most part, goaltending hasn't. Well, Moose, as much as I like the guy, has been a problem. Getting Marty back will be huge. Having some of the other injured back will be big too. I'd like to see this team whole to the point where CBGB is a forth line again, and Poni is off the top line.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
A team riddled with injuries needs momentum to win.
That team needs the first goal to get momentum and to protect it with solid D to maintain it.
A team starting a career backup for 13 games playing some of his worst hockey ever will not get that first goal let alone a win.
That team will not be able to score and play solid D at the same time with the players the Devils have dressing right now.

Fix the goalie. Marty's back.
Fix the roster. Fayne in, Zids stop roaming behind the net on the attack, Zubrus back, Loki back, Harrold out, Barch out, Lou get a winger.
Maybe you make the playoffs.
Maybe you catch fire like LA did last year as an 8 seed or even better.

Did you realize they were 40-27-15 (read as 40-42 by some here) last year and went 5-2-3 in their last 10 games and still won the cup?

A chip and a seat as they say gets you in the game. Play the hand you are dealt and see where it takes you.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Here is the problem with placing this loss on Moose. It completely ignores just how piss poor the Devils defensive coverage was last night. I just read TG's recap of the game and it was a big topic in the post. Whether it's the lack of scoring, this team can't defend for **** a good deal of the time. Losing sucks and I can't stand it as much as anyone, but there are different ways to lose and the Devils are finding really ugly ways to do it. When you work as hard as they do and have zero results to show for it, something is very very wrong and it isn't called bad luck.

The Rangers generated 22 shots last night and for large stretches they didn't do a damn thing out there. But they still could have easily walked away with 6 or 7 goals. Take the game winner for example, how many times was Nash completely wide open during this game? All of the open looks in front of Hedberg? It was awful.

I'm happy to see Marty back as well but I'm not getting my hopes up. In terms of stopping the puck, I don't see how anything will change vs. Hedberg being in there tbh. Marty will definitely help with the breakout and puck moving, but I just don't see how much of a difference he'll make if the team plays the same way in front of him as they did for Hedberg.

Hedberg has definitely had some shaky moments over these last 13 games, but the dude rarely got any help whether it be from a solid defensive effort or goal support. I just think he's an easy excuse for a currently very mediocre lineup that is constantly finding ways to lose games.

Spot on. The shot total doesn't tell the whole story. Coverage was spotty at best, to downright awful at worst. Way, way too many open looks for the Rangers all game.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
That team needs the first goal to get momentum and to protect it with solid D to maintain it.
A team starting a career backup for 13 games playing some of his worst hockey ever will not get that first goal let alone a win.
That team will not be able to score and play solid D at the same time with the players the Devils have dressing right now.

Fix the goalie. Marty's back.
Fix the roster. Fayne in, Zids stop roaming behind the net on the attack, Zubrus back, Loki back, Harrold out, Barch out, Lou get a winger.
Maybe you make the playoffs.
Maybe you catch fire like LA did last year as an 8 seed or even better.

Did you realize they were 40-27-15 (read as 40-42 by some here) last year and went 5-2-3 in their last 10 games and still won the cup?

A chip and a seat as they say gets you in the game. Play the hand you are dealt and see where it takes you.

you asked for it!

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Zids stop roaming behind the net on the attack

gzNqcYk.jpg

:sarcasm:

no but really, i agree with your post. spot on. anyone throwing in the towel at this point is out of their mind

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Call up Whitney or sign a college UFA who can score :dunno:

Our forwards are gross and we have no one in the AHL, thanks swedish duo! If we have to wait 2 weeks for Zubrus before we can score 3 actual goals in a game our season is toasted. When did zubrus become the pivotal part of our offense?

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
When is Zubie back? Once he and Loki are back we will have four solid lines and I think our depth will get pay off and we'll win games.

Still need to find another solid winger on the trade market.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Maybe if we let the opponent outplay US, we'll win? :dunno:

That wouldn't work, we are a puck possession team, if we don't control the game, that's an ill omen.
We are dead last in wins when outshot by the opponent: 3-4-3, Anaheim leads the league with a 12-2-2 record.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
With Marty and lokti set to return we will instantly improve. Zubs is still prob 10 days away...only problem is we are running out of time to get this figured out. They have to string some wins together now...

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
That team will not be able to score and play solid D at the same time with the players the Devils have dressing right now..

That makes sense. And if they might catch a break at the same time that will be enough for a playoffs spot.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
gzNqcYk.jpg

:sarcasm:

no but really, i agree with your post. spot on. anyone throwing in the towel at this point is out of their mind

45.jpg

No, I don't miss him yet. We just need to play our best D and stop trying to have a D that scores but can't because our forwards won't. Move the puck fine, skate the puck out of our zone fine, going into the corners without someone covering high not fine. Going in behind the net while 3 other forwards are there VERY NOT FINE.

If it were up to me I'd be dressing Fayne and Tallinder asap and benching Zids and Harrold. This team cannot focus on offense if we're giving up 2 on 1 breaks every other shift.

Salvador-Fayne
Volchenkov-Greene
Tallinder-Larsson

That's what I'd run with. The only guy not on his forehand side of the ice is Greene and he has the speed to skate it out of trouble. No hi risk low reward offense, but I don't care. I just want stability and the comfort to run a hard forecheck and grind out goals and man up on the posts in our own zone. Keep letting the cement hands fire shots in to the pile in front of the net and bury those rebounds. Old fashioned hockey, Eddie Shore style.

MV5BMTQ4NjA4MzQ5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDU1NzM2._V1._SX450_SY340_.jpg

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
fair enough- as long as Zid is out.

i'll repeat- as long as zid, our savior PMD $4 MM dollar man is scratched, i could live with that D. personally, i'd prefer

fayne-greene
oduya-sal
tallinder-larsson

not saying oduya is a world beater or savior, but hes the guy we shouldve traded for. not the best guy in any zone, yet very far from the worst.

how many turnovers did zid have last night? he's got bad luck too- damn near every one of them turned into a GA or a scoring chance. get him the f outta there

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
The people that want Zidlicky gone are out of their minds. I thought he had ONE bad turnover last night which was a little bad luck too. He creates more offensive chances than our forwards do! Everyone complains we don't shoot enough... he does! The coaches know how to handle it. That's why he was with Salvador last night... a defensively responsible defenseman giving Zids a little freedom to help lead an attack.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
We have discussed Zids so many times already.... I don't give a single f who's going to play now, just get win a game please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia