Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Gustav Rydahl

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Exactly. I'd keep Brodzinski. Sign Vesey. Keep Rydahl.

Carpenter, Hunt, Gauthier out.

Vesey and Rydahl in.

Goodrow - Rydahl - Vesey 4th line. Reaves and Brodzinski the spares.

Also not sure who the 7th D should be. Hajek, I guess. Unless they can find a vet at league minimum.

Waive Carpenter, Hunt, and Gauthier.

Sign Vesey.

Goodrow, Rydahl, Vesey, Brodzinski, Reaves as the 4th line and spare forwards.

Carpenter and Gauthier I can see but not Hunt he would get claimed

Reactions: 007

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Does the 9 game do anything? Isn’t he too old for that 9 games to mean anything?

Of course they do something, they're better than nothing!

Never too old for 9 NHL games to mean nothing.

edit: maybe you assume some negative, there is none. He won't lose a year of his contract. He can only gain.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
I like what Rydahl will add to the 4th line. Didnt know much about him coming in but Joe says one of his strengths is PK and we've already saw some nice work there in the two preseason games he's played.

Thats further indication of why they were fine letting Motte walk. Rydahl does a lot of the same things, has similar speed and forechecking ability (and it seems a great stick, like Motte) and you would think is more durable given his size. Took a nasty leg crunch last night and was able to bounce back thankfully.

He also crunched a few bodies too, that can wear down an opponent especially with his speed. I like what he brings.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Feels like the token camp invite who should make the team but doesn’t because the coach prefers familiarity. Will be pleasantly surprised if he makes the cut.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Another reason from a cap perspective

If the Ranger keep 12 forwards plus Rydahl, it's more like they are are keeping ~12.5 forwards on the cap if they decide to paper transaction his contract, assigning him back and forth between the NHL and AHL.

They don't really need to send him down physically, just re-assign him back and forth between the AHL and NHL

Since he is on a one way contract, he'd get paid the same, however any days he was not on the official NHL roster he would not count toward the NHL cap on those days when he was "in" the AHL

It's not a ton of accued space, yet no reason not to do it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rangers I’m pretty sure are going with a 22 man roster. 2G-7D-13f.

Reaves is going to be on the team in the lineup a lot…..it’s just how much. Last year it was over 70 games and then the playoffs. I think that needs to be cut to about 50. He was running on fumes towards the end of the season and into the playoffs. I don’t think of him exactly as being the spare forward though and there are situations where you certainly want him in the lineup.

Reactions: tlk

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Another reason from a cap perspective

If the Ranger keep 12 forwards plus Rydahl, it's more like they are are keeping ~12.5 forwards on the cap if they decide to paper transaction his contract, assigning him back and forth between the NHL and AHL.

They don't really need to send him down physically, just re-assign him back and forth between the AHL and NHL

Since he is on a one way contract, he'd get paid the same, however any days he was not on the official NHL roster he would not count toward the NHL cap on those days when he was "in" the AHL

It's not a ton of accued space, yet no reason not to do it.

They could do that W Jones too
May aswell carry 23 if they are gonna do that no ?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They could do that W Jones too
May aswell carry 23 if they are gonna do that no ?
Yeah they can do it with anyone who is exempt from waivers. The difference is Rydahl's contract is a one-way, so he's earning the daily rate of his his $750K deal no matter where he is on paper. Whereas Jones is on an ELC, which is always two-way, so if they send him down in a paper transaction, he's only earning a daily rate based on his minor league salary of $70K. So that costs the player potentially a huge amount of money. Not that it can't be done, but to do it for a whole season would be awful and probably make the player want out.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Yeah they can do it with anyone who is exempt from waivers. The difference is Rydahl's contract is a one-way, so he's earning the daily rate of his his $750K deal no matter where he is on paper. Whereas Jones is on an ELC, which is always two-way, so if they send him down in a paper transaction, he's only earning a daily rate based on his minor league salary of $70K. So that costs the player potentially a huge amount of money. Not that it can't be done, but to do it for a whole season would be awful and probably make the player want out.
Correct, it would not be fair to do it to Jones, Schneider or anyone who did not have a one-way contract.

Again, it's not a huge saving, as of last year for example they had Pajuniemi on their NHL roster for one day, and 199 on the AHL roster, and were charged against the NHL cap $4,419. His cap hit in total would have been 883,750 if he were in the NHL for all the 200 days

So I'd guess for each day a contract at 750K equates to around $3,700 daily cap hit (total cap hit divided by 200 days) and they'd probably only paper transaction him on spans where they do not play for at least 1 day between games. So it's kind of a negligible difference, somewhere less than 100k-300k total in my estimation and that would be if they did that for the whole year. That amount would have to be prorated down to just until the deadline, assuming the point of doing this were to accrue cap space for the deadline.

TL;DR, I am not going to try to figure it all out, yet it could save them a little bit of cap space for the deadline.

Last edited:

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
A 4th line of goodrow-rydahl-vesey is damn good

I echo what a lot seem to be saying/feeling. Rydahl has really impressed me so far. Granted he's not a kid, but I really like him for 4th line/PK duties. This fourth line is perfect for games where we don't need some bruisers in the line up. I'd hope we start the season this way.

To me, Vesey has absolutely earned a spot on this roster. Bummed to see Othmann sent back down, but things look really bright for him. At the same time, I'm glad they aren't rushing him up here to play low minutes.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Correct, it would not be fair to do it to Jones, Schneider or anyone who did not have a one-way contract.

Again, it's not a huge saving, as of last year for example they had Pajuniemi on their NHL roster for one day, and 199 on the AHL roster, and were charged against the NHL cap $4,419. His cap hit in total would have been 883,750 if he were in the NHL for all the 200 days

So I'd guess for each day a contract at 750K equates to around $3,700 daily cap hit (total cap hit divided by 200 days) and they'd probably only paper transaction him on spans where they do not play for at least 1 day between games. So it's kind of a negligible difference, somewhere less than 100k-300k total in my estimation and that would be if they did that for the whole year. That amount would have to be prorated down to just until the deadline, assuming the point of doing this were to accrue cap space for the deadline.

TL;DR, I am not going to try to figure it all out, yet it could save them a little bit of cap space for the deadline.
If you’re looking to take on a big contract at 50% retained, every dollar counts - especially when prorated.

For example, I don’t think we’re currently on pace for being able to afford Kane @50% at the deadline without money going the other way. I believe we miss by a hundred thousand or so. These paper transactions may be the difference between making it work or not without having to send salary over.

Long story short, additional flexibility is always a good thing when you’re cap strapped.

Reactions: Off Sides

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If Drury is worried that Carpenter will get claimed, he might send Rydahl down initially and wait a day or two to waive Carpenter and bring Rydahl back. The season starts on the 7th, but the Rangers don't start until the 11th.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
He's going to start the year in the AHL. He has options. I know we all want to see him but these are the ways of professional sports for borderline players/older rookies. It's been this way for over a century unless a team is rebuilding or a coach is a little more radical (Ted Sator in 1985-86).

If he doesn't want to do AHL, he'll ask for his release. If he wants to pay his dues and grind it out, we see him at some point this season.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
If Drury is worried that Carpenter will get claimed, he might send Rydahl down initially and wait a day or two to waive Carpenter and bring Rydahl back. The season starts on the 7th, but the Rangers don't start until the 11th.
Carpenter won't get put on waivers. There's an obsession with having veterans on the fourth line. The second Drury signed him, he already had an opening night spot.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
If Carpenter gets sent down it’ll be because Drury put his foot down, not Gallant. Carpenter and Gallant have a history.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Rydahl goes down for a few weeks, comes back when need arises, and will be more familiar w NA game and rink.
I dont think he runs back to Europe, he will understand.
Most NHL teams have more injured guys missing than NYR have had last few seasons, there will be opportunity

As it is, if they sign Vesey,
the gotta move Gauth or Carp (or Reavo/Hunt) just to get down to 14 Fs,
and they may prefer 13 (ie just 1 spare)

So Rydahl likely stays up thru RI trip, and final PS games, but then to Pack for a while

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Rydahl goes down for a few weeks, comes back when need arises, and will be more familiar w NA game and rink.
I dont think he runs back to Europe, he will understand.
Most NHL teams have more injured guys missing than NYR have had last few seasons, there will be opportunity

As it is, if they sign Vesey,
the gotta move Gauth or Carp (or Reavo/Hunt) just to get down to 14 Fs,
and they may prefer 13 (ie just 1 spare)

So Rydahl likely stays up thru RI trip, and final PS games, but then to Pack for a while
Yeah I think the one-way deal was specifically a "guarantee" for Rydahl of sorts that if he didn't make the team immediately, he'd at least be collecting a good paycheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad