Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Gustav Rydahl

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I thought Rydahl showed very well in his other games but last night he wasn't all that noticeable.

Gauthier has played well in preseason. We've seen that before though and to me his skill set is just not what I want for our 4th line. Kravtsov had one really good opportunity. Other than that he seemed a bit lost.

Brodziński and Hunt arę both favorites of Gallant. I'm not a fan of Carpenter so far.

AKrangerfan

Apr 18, 2012
Anchorage
Disappointed Rydahl was sent down. He did not do himself any favors yesterday. He wasn't bad but he did not force management to keep him over coaches favorite.

fm

Jul 28, 2016
He’s making good money down there and he’s waiver eligible. He’ll be back. Carpenter will falter.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Rydahl demoted

Folks here may overreact

But he'll be back,
attrition and roster moves are inevitable

🤣

They could have had one of the most effective 4th lines in the league and instead opted for THE most INeffective 4th line in the league.

After all of last season clearly seeing how brutal that 4th line was they raised the bar by demoting the best option for that 4th line and keeping one of the worste if not the worste player in the league.

👏 bravo Rongos, bravo.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
It's not even really about Rydahl specifically. That's only part of it.

The problem is they have no ability whatsoever to discern forward talent from garbage.

They waived Brodzinski but kept Hunt. They demoted Rydahl but kept Carpenter. They put Blais and Vesey (and Hunt) on line 1 but won't put Lafreniere or Kakko.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
🤣

They could have had one of the most effective 4th lines in the league and instead opted for THE most INeffective 4th line in the league.

After all of last season clearly seeing how brutal that 4th line was they raised the bar by demoting the best option for that 4th line and keeping one of the worste if not the worste player in the league.

👏 bravo Rongos, bravo.
"...Could have had..."
Game 1 of 82 hasnt evened happened yet.

The team did the right thing.
The most intelligent, responsible choice, in the short term.

The Cap is real.
That NHL teams need ~30 guys, to navigate full season, is real.

Rydahl will be back.

Reactions: ncdoc and Ruggs225

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
"...Could have had..."
Game 1 of 82 hasnt evened happened yet.

The Cap is real.
That NHL teams need ~30 guys, to navigate full season, is real.

Rydahl will be back.
The most intelligent thing to do was to make the team the best it can possibly be. Rydahl and Carpenter's cap hits are exactly the same.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Did that Hunt-Rydahl-Gauthier line match up against any of the Devils actual players? Because they were excellent in that game, surprised they never went with that look again even considering the logjam at forward.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
The problem isn't the pre-season. Gallant does this crap in the regular season and playoffs too.
my point was there are 82 games to play, where they are on tuesday ain't where they are in march/April

Rydal will be here ere long, and part of the mix

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
He’s making good money down there and he’s waiver eligible. He’ll be back. Carpenter will falter.
Is it really about Carpenter though? Or Gallant?

I'm willing to see what Carpenter really has, because I honestly didn't get to see all that much of him in preseason. Maybe 20 min? I mean I know they wanted to take a look at some of the bottom 6 to evaluate, but Carpenter played less than guys like Panarin and Mika, who didnt even have to suit up other than to get their bearings for the season. I guess he didn't need that. Puzzling.

Whatever the case, Im rooting for Carpenter to come out and show me some good shit because hes a Ranger and will likely be thrusted into that spot no matter how he plays over the next month or so.

Realistically, given how they handled this decision through camp - How many crap games from Carpenter will it take before Gallant and co realize they dont have the same player that was in Vegas 4-5 years ago? And even if he is it may not be the perfect fit since they will be trotting out Reaves on his right. Its gonna be like watching paint dry. Hope Im wrong.

I'd expect a pretty long leash. For a guy making the league minimum.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
my point was there are 82 games to play, where they are on tuesday ain't where they are in march/April

Rydal will be here ere long, and part of the mix
I agree with the long term approach for the most part, especially given their waiver statuses which seem to be the governing factor here. Injuries occur. You could even make a case they want to Carpenter out there blocking NHL shots early in the season rather than Rydahl. But I digress...

Like I mentioned above - lets say Carpenter really sucks. Like bad. Like what we've seen up to this point in his limited and listless showings.

You are a hypocrite (not you, Gallant an co.) if you demote guys like Kravstov (which I agree with) and bench Kakko during a f***ing playoff game (which made no sense) if you dont make the switch to Rydahl, like within, I dont know - 10 games or less? 15?

I mean when do you start doing the team a disservice just to have "your guy" in the lineup? Again, I hope im completely wrong about Carpenter. Honestly I havent seen nearly enough of him on the ice to really make a call. But I saw enough from Rydahl to feel pretty confident about letting the guy go out and get some experience for 12 min a night

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Tampa won the Cups by knowing you don't win Cup in October.
This makes no sense as an answer in context. He's not saying throw away talent in the playoffs so u can win more in October.

Tampa won by having a deep bottom 6, of marginal economical role players, like all these guys, that these posts urgently want to toss out the window, before game 1.
And we likely buried our better talent and used up cap on inferior talent to create one of the most useless 4th lines in the league.

NO DOUBT in my mind, Tampa, in this situation, would demote Rydahl, happy to have that resource in hand, for down the road, when attrition happens.
Based on? Why wouldn't they demote their version of carpenter? DID they demote their version of rydahl over carp? Or are u just making this up?
Having to juggle these bottom 6 guys is a strength of this NYR team, not a weakness
It's been the weakest aspect of the team along w the 3rd d pair

What? If they did the right, intelligent, responsible thing they wouldn't have had to trade a 2nd to get rid of nemeth and they wouldn't need to put lesser players in Hartford to possibly preserve access to...Ryan carpenter? They're compounding previous mistakes with more mistakes and possibly bias.

dont share your preseason urgency.
That's a really dishonest way to frame what he said

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cwede

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad