Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Gustav Rydahl

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I doubt he gets in, hes not skating with the team and it seems like an emergency recall. Encouraging that he's the pick over Crapenter though
Actually, I'm guessing he does. It sounds like Brodz won't be available because his wife is in labor. Even if the kid pops out before game time, it's unlikely he'll leave to play. Rydahl probably just hasn't made it to NY yet.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Actually, I'm guessing he does. It sounds like Brodz won't be available because his wife is in labor. Even if the kid pops out before game time, it's unlikely he'll leave to play. Rydahl probably just hasn't made it to NY yet.

Games in Montreal and hasnt Brodz been a scratch the last few anyway? I cant remember

Reactions: egelband

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Games in Montreal and hasnt Brodz been a scratch the last few anyway? I cant remember
NY/Montreal. You knew what I mean lol. But you're right that Brodz hasn't played the last 2, so maybe Rydahl is just in case someone can't play last minute. Blais and Gauthier barely played against Carolina. Maybe one of them comes out.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
NY/Montreal. You knew what I mean lol. But you're right that Brodz hasn't played the last 2, so maybe Rydahl is just in case someone can't play last minute. Blais and Gauthier barely played against Carolina. Maybe one of them comes out.

Huge team speed upgrade if Rydahl slots in over Blais. Goodrow-Rydahl-Gaut could be a lot for a team like MTL to handle with their week defense core

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
very likely this is already above somewhere but FYI

Gustav Rydahl - Highlights
2 years ago
"This is a highlights video of the best hockey player who ever entered a hockey rink. Enjoy!"

.. YouTube poster's words, not mine 8^)

• Haha
Reactions: egelband

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
I just think it's a bit sad that he's not getting a chance. He's 28 on a one year contract that has gone from a fringe player bouncing around SHL team to the C1 for the Swedish Champions, representing Sweden pla in the Olympics and in the European international tournaments last season and this one, he is stuck in AHL so far. Where is the incentive for him to stay for a second year?

I really think he would be a good NHL player but you need to get a chance first.. I don't get the AHL teams here and it's kinda hard do follow their line-ups but from what I've seen he's a second/thirdliner even there so what was the expectation bringing him over?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I just think it's a bit sad that he's not getting a chance. He's 28 on a one year contract that has gone from a fringe player bouncing around SHL team to the C1 for the Swedish Champions, representing Sweden pla in the Olympics and in the European international tournaments last season and this one, he is stuck in AHL so far. Where is the incentive for him to stay for a second year?

I really think he would be a good NHL player but you need to get a chance first.. I don't get the AHL teams here and it's kinda hard do follow their line-ups but from what I've seen he's a second/thirdliner even there so what was the expectation bringing him over?
The season is only half over. There's plenty of time for him to earn another callup. Injuries will happen and he'll get into a game.

Whatever the expectations were, there are no guarantees. He's on a one-way contract, so he's getting his full salary, which is likely significantly more than he was making back in Sweden. Next year, we'll see. The Rangers might choose not to re-sign him. Maybe he's just not good enough for the NHL. Or maybe he is and the Rangers will offer him a multi-year deal a la Vesey. If he's good enough, he'll make it.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

The main reason he's sticking around for now, is that he has a 1-way contract. This situation is very similar to Andres Ambühl over a decade ago. He came over from Switzerland and was given a 1-way contract. The guaranteed NHL salary has them sticking around unlike guys like Malte Stromwall, Michael Lindqvist and Ville Meskanen who were on 2-way contracts and simply went back once they failed to earn a spot on the team since it was financially more enticing to play in the SHL/Liiga than in the AHL.

With Rydahl signing his 1st contract, he's also waiver exempt for the full season, giving the Rangers flexibility. If he stays another year, he will have to clear waivers to be sent down so next season if he's offered a contract, he can pretty much bank on that.

Reactions: leetch99

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The main reason he's sticking around for now, is that he has a 1-way contract. This situation is very similar to Andres Ambühl over a decade ago. He came over from Switzerland and was given a 1-way contract. The guaranteed NHL salary has them sticking around unlike guys like Malte Stromwall, Michael Lindqvist and Ville Meskanen who were on 2-way contracts and simply went back once they failed to earn a spot on the team since it was financially more enticing to play in the SHL/Liiga than in the AHL.

With Rydahl signing his 1st contract, he's also waiver exempt for the full season, giving the Rangers flexibility. If he stays another year, he will have to clear waivers to be sent down so next season if he's offered a contract, he can pretty much bank on that.
He'll be a UFA. He doesn't have to stay with the Rangers.

As we have seen, NHL teams scout these AHL veterans. We did it with Brodzinski.

If Rydahl shows he is committed to North America, he'll get interest.

We also complain about the 4th line a decent amount, especially when Carpenter was on the team, but it's a pretty good line right now. Goodrow-Brodzinski-Gauthier have speed, grit, and finishing abilities.

I think the only way he gets a shot is if one or two players get hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00