Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Gustav Rydahl

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Every team needs cheap 4th liners. If this guy can be an effective, cheap 4th liner? It's a home run.

They need some cheap options in the bottom six moving forward. Worth a shot.

Well said. I'd like to see more signings like this of overseas gritty guys. There have to be some that can be solid bottom sixers in the NHL.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
My concern or hope is the skating. They need speed, especially in the bottom 6. Anyway, a cheap body is fantastic even better if he can fill a bottom 6 role.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
My concern or hope is the skating. They need speed, especially in the bottom 6. Anyway, a cheap body is fantastic even better if he can fill a bottom 6 role.
Watching some clips, he looks like a decent-enough skater, but it looks like average NHL skating to me. Not necessarily a strength.

Looks like he lives for the dirty areas of the ice and makes his money there. He has pretty good hands up close in the slot and a quick release. Seems to regularly find the place to be.

A bottom-6 role in the NHL if he can make the jump right away (which I would more or less expect to be his ceiling), but looks like the type to quickly become a fan favorite.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
If he doesn’t make the team out of camp can the Rangers send him to Hartford?

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

I believe so.

CapFriendly lists him as Waivers Exempt, but also that his NHL and AHL salary are the same at $750k. Could just be that the full details aren't out yet, or it could be that the 1-way deal was part of what enticed him over.

Detroit was previously linked to him back in 2020.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Are all of your 11 posts this foolish?

Edit: Yes. Yes they are.

Bless u for doing that research so I did not have to

Well, if he can be a McKegg who is actually not a worthless waste of a roster spot . . . which, I mean, I guess pretty much anyone with a pulse at this point, I think he has a good shot at making the team.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
This remains me Stromwall or Ambuhl . Watch him go back to sweden after he fails to make the team. At 27 why would he finally decide to try the NHL. This feels odd to me. I like that he is a tough gritty forward but at 27 did he wait to long?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This remains me Stromwall or Ambuhl . Watch him go back to sweden after he fails to make the team. At 27 why would he finally decide to try the NHL. This feels odd to me. I like that he is a tough gritty forward but at 27 did he wait to long?
He's a late bloomer--playing in the SHL since 2012 but didn't start scoring until a couple years ago. And, you're right, there's a good chance he'd go back to Sweden if he didn't make the team. That's okay though as there's no risk to us. Either:

1. He ends up being good and we just signed a decent player for very cheap
2. He doesn't make the team, wants to stay, and is good depth for Hartford
3. He doesn't make the team, wants to go back, and we mutually terminate the contract

Variations on 2 and 3, but the point remains. No downside to this, really. The Stromwall and Ambuhl situations are similar for sure, and while they didn't work out, they also had no negative impact.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

As nyr2k2 said, the scoring came late, but teams were looking at him about 2-3 years ago around the time of COVID when he first found his offense, mainly Detroit. I don’t know if it fell through because of COVID or a change of direction by Detroit.

Rydahl was mentioned on Pronman’s top overseas prospects back in 2020, but he wasn’t on the main list due to age cut-off—still enough to warrant a mention, though!

I don’t expect a ton, but he brings physicality and some grit. I’ll take a free lottery ticket any day.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He's a late bloomer--playing in the SHL since 2012 but didn't start scoring until a couple years ago. And, you're right, there's a good chance he'd go back to Sweden if he didn't make the team. That's okay though as there's no risk to us. Either:

1. He ends up being good and we just signed a decent player for very cheap
2. He doesn't make the team, wants to stay, and is good depth for Hartford
3. He doesn't make the team, wants to go back, and we mutually terminate the contract

Variations on 2 and 3, but the point remains. No downside to this, really. The Stromwall and Ambuhl situations are similar for sure, and while they didn't work out, they also had no negative impact.

What I like is that it seems like we could have a few Swedes in HFD next season. Hopefully these guys can bond and help each other.

Nils Lundkvist
Olof Lindbom
Adam Edström
Karl Henriksson
Gustav Rydahl

Am I missing someone? Five guys from one country is a lot, I can remember 2-3 for shorter periods but don’t recall that we ever had 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArPanet

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille