Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Gustav Rydahl

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Right, if Rydahl makes the roster, Othmann is not making the team, unless they are willing to waive two of Hunt or Carpenter, or I guess Reaves.

Not likely to happen
OK, I'm willing to accept Rydahl going to Hartford until Othmann goes back. Life is about compromise.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Right, if Rydahl makes the roster, Othmann is not making the team, unless they are willing to waive two of Hunt or Carpenter, or I guess Reaves.

Not likely to happen
The choice is very easy. Carpenter is useless. Waive Carpenter.

Reactions: EEL

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
OK, I'm willing to accept Rydahl going to Hartford until Othmann goes back. Life is about compromise.
I just don't think the Rangers will risk losing a player on waivers...any player...just to give Othmann 9 games. He'll be one of the last cuts, but he'll go back.

Reactions: pld459666

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The choice is very easy. Carpenter is useless. Waive Carpenter.
I am fine with them waiving him, yet they signed him relatively early in free agency, I am guessing they'll keep him. They'd probably waive Hunt before him, and he has a better chance at getting claimed.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yet if Rydahl is re-assigned, we do not know if he will stay. He may even have an out clause.
Unlike Lias, Nils and VK, he would be making NHL salary in the AHL. Is he making more than 750K overseas? Could happen, but I don't think he would bolt, especially if it's a short-term plan.
I just don't think the Rangers will risk losing a player on waivers...any player...just to give Othmann 9 games. He'll be one of the last cuts, but he'll go back.
The situation I described doesn't expose anyone additional to waivers.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Including Kravtsov, we've got 14 forwards who are waiver eligible. One will be waived to get us down to 13. If Othmann is on the team, someone else has to be waived.

If Rydahl makes the team, someone will need to be waived, but he'll be around all year and can go back and forth to the AHL.

The only way Othmann is on this team is if they plan to keep him all year, and that's not happening.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Including Kravtsov, we've got 14 forwards who are waiver eligible. One will be waived to get us down to 13. If Othmann is on the team, someone else has to be waived.

If Rydahl makes the team, someone will need to be waived, but he'll be around all year and can go back and forth to the AHL.

The only way Othmann is on this team is if they plan to keep him all year, and that's not happening.
Yeah, they need to put some players on waivers. Keeping Othmann up for 9 (or 10) and then calling up Rydahl after he goes down doesn't require an additional player to be waived.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Unlike Lias, Nils and VK, he would be making NHL salary in the AHL. Is he making more than 750K overseas? Could happen, but I don't think he would bolt, especially if it's a short-term plan.

True, he signed a one way, yet not sure he makes a ton less by going back, or that whatever the difference may be would entice him to stay in the AHL.

All the same, my guess, they'll lean towards keeping 2 of Carpenter, Hunt, Rydahl as the 12th and 13th forward. Not saying I would, just my guess to what they'll do.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
They can waive Hunt and Carpenter. What’s the problem?
Not what I'd care about, the the answer is injury protection.

If they ended up with like 2 or 3 injured forwards at the same time, and for some reason Carpenter and Hunt were taken off waivers, they'd not have a lot of vet options to call up.

To me, I would not care, they are replaced by say Trivigno, etc and those guys get a chance, yet the Rangers are not going to risk it, even if I or anyone else thinks they could/should.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Not what I'd care about, the the answer is injury protection.

If they ended up with like 2 or 3 injured forwards at the same time, and for some reason Carpenter and Hunt were taken off waivers, they'd not have a lot of vet options to call up.

To me, I would not care, they are replaced by say Trivigno, etc and those guys get a chance, yet the Rangers are not going to risk it, even if I or anyone else thinks they could/should.

You can find Hunts and Carpenters just about anywhere. Brodzinski is equivalent.

Reactions: pld459666

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Carpenter has value to the team as a PKer and the familiarity with Gallant. We don’t have to like it but it’s highly unlikely he’s waived.

Vesey will make it because he can PK and potentially play up in the lineup.

Rydahl won’t because of the waivers loophole but I think he’ll definitely get into games. He’s a 28 year old euro league pro who plays with an edge, PKs and takes faceoffs, he’s wasted in the AHL

Hunt & Gauthier are waiver fodder. They both do nothing at a high rate of speed. Brodzinski I’d take over them

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Carpenter has value to the team as a PKer and the familiarity with Gallant. We don’t have to like it but it’s highly unlikely he’s waived.

Vesey will make it because he can PK and potentially play up in the lineup.

Rydahl won’t because of the waivers loophole but I think he’ll definitely get into games. He’s a 28 year old euro league pro who plays with an edge, PKs and takes faceoffs, he’s wasted in the AHL

Hunt & Gauthier are waiver fodder. They both do nothing at a high rate of speed. Brodzinski I’d take over them

Rydahl makes this team. He has played well in these 2 games. winning faceoffs gives him the edge. Gauthier will be gone trade or waivers before season starts. Carpenter will be Glass 2.0 sadly 🤮 Vesey also signs here and makes it.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Rydahl makes this team. He has played well in these 2 games. winning faceoffs gives him the edge. Gauthier will be gone trade or waivers before season starts. Carpenter will be Glass 2.0 sadly 🤮 Vesey also signs here and makes it.

Don’t think they can afford rostering 3 spares so either Rydahl goes down or they waive Carpenter

I also fail to see how Vesey fits barring injury
He could get signed but waived

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
You can find Hunts and Carpenters just about anywhere. Brodzinski is equivalent.
Exactly. I'd keep Brodzinski. Sign Vesey. Keep Rydahl.

Carpenter, Hunt, Gauthier out.

Vesey and Rydahl in.

Goodrow - Rydahl - Vesey 4th line. Reaves and Brodzinski the spares.

Also not sure who the 7th D should be. Hajek, I guess. Unless they can find a vet at league minimum.

Don’t think they can afford rostering 3 spares so either Rydahl goes down or they waive Carpenter

I also fail to see how Vesey fits barring injury
He could get signed but waived
Waive Carpenter, Hunt, and Gauthier.

Sign Vesey.

Goodrow, Rydahl, Vesey, Brodzinski, Reaves as the 4th line and spare forwards.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
If Otthman could go to the AHL, 100% Rydahl makes this team for me. I think maybe Otthman gets 9 games to see if he sticks. If he sticks, that’s good. I personally would rather waive Hunt and Carpenter and have Rydahl on the roster. I doubt either, certainly not both, get claimed in which case both can be call ups. Instead I see Rydahl being the call up due to waivers, but I think Rydahl as our 4C is the move.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
This game was Total Rydahl

If Otthman could go to the AHL, 100% Rydahl makes this team for me. I think maybe Otthman gets 9 games to see if he sticks. If he sticks, that’s good. I personally would rather waive Hunt and Carpenter and have Rydahl on the roster. I doubt either, certainly not both, get claimed in which case both can be call ups. Instead I see Rydahl being the call up due to waivers, but I think Rydahl as our 4C is the move.

100% Rydahl, you say? That's Total Rydahl.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York

I can see it. I think he's definitely a Gallant type of player as well.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I like what Rydahl will add to the 4th line. Didnt know much about him coming in but Joe says one of his strengths is PK and we've already saw some nice work there in the two preseason games he's played.

Thats further indication of why they were fine letting Motte walk. Rydahl does a lot of the same things, has similar speed and forechecking ability (and it seems a great stick, like Motte) and you would think is more durable given his size. Took a nasty leg crunch last night and was able to bounce back thankfully.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad