Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Gustav Rydahl

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Had a great game yesterday. Was noticeable. I wonder why he decided to come over now to the NHL at the age of 28. Teams were not interested in him before this summer? At 28 would he be the oldest NHL rookie for the Rangers recently? Last oldest rookie I remember was Ronnie Sundin who did nothing at the NHL level and was 29 when he was a Ranger for that 1 game in the NHL.

Reactions: Number 9

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Had a great game yesterday. Was noticeable. I wonder why he decided to come over now to the NHL at the age of 28. Teams were not interested in him before this summer? At 28 would he be the oldest NHL rookie for the Rangers recently? Last oldest rookie I remember was Ronnie Sundin who did nothing at the NHL level and was 29 when he was a Ranger for that 1 game in the NHL.
I believe if he had signed at 27 he would have been restricted to an ELC (and thus a 2-way contract,) the answer is likely as simple as guaranteed money if plays in the AHL all year.

Reactions: Zynbanejad

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I believe if he had signed at 27 he would have been restricted to an ELC (and thus a 2-way contract,) the answer is likely as simple as guaranteed money if plays in the AHL all year.
I understand that, but I just wanna know why did he wait until 28. Why not try to make the NHL earlier so you have a better chance of a longer NHL career. Imagine if the Zuccarello came to the NHL at 28 Instead of 23 like he did. I just find it odd that he came over in his late 20s as opposed to early 20s

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I thought he asserted himself pretty well in his first showing.

Quick, athletic stride for a big guy. Good energy. Looking to throw the body around. Didnt look out of place and made some very simple reads. Didnt overcomplicate things.

Noticed him coming off the ice in the tunnel after the first period. He's a big dude, 6'3 200+ and none of this "growing into a mans body" shit with him.

If he can play a consistent game with speed, disrupt on the forecheck, cause some havoc around the net and pot a few here and there he will have good value to this team if he can play well in his own zone. Especially hes a natural center and can take draws. More valuable then a McKegg, Gauthier or even Carpenter if he can lend a hand and be trusted on the PK. I don't know if he has that in his toolbox.

Last edited:

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Yeah, after one game he's definitely my favorite for 4C. Like stated above, he's got a big frame and is smooth with it.

???-Rydahl-Reaves
Carpenter as a 13th forward

Another early stab-in-the-dark, but I'd give Otthman the 9 games on that wing too. That's where I'd start with the 4C. Would create a little more competition in Hartford for next man up knowing he's going back too.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah, after one game he's definitely my favorite for 4C. Like stated above, he's got a big frame and is smooth with it.

???-Rydahl-Reaves
Carpenter as a 13th forward

Another early stab-in-the-dark, but I'd give Otthman the 9 games on that wing too. That's where I'd start with the 4C. Would create a little more competition in Hartford for next man up knowing he's going back too.
I like the general idea of this post, but think you are forgetting Barclay Goodrow.

Reactions: redwhiteandblue

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
At the game last night, I kept confusing Rydahl for Gauthier because of #15 and being positively surprised whenever he made a good play. Decent speed, tough on the puck. There's a chance he might be a good 4th liner despite the tiny sample size.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
At the game last night, I kept confusing Rydahl for Gauthier because of #15 and being positively surprised whenever he made a good play. Decent speed, tough on the puck. There's a chance he might be a good 4th liner despite the tiny sample size.

Gauth shoots Right

1664307822029.png

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I like the general idea of this post, but think you are forgetting Barclay Goodrow.
You are absolutely right, pre-season rwb got excited. Honestly, just feels like Otthman is not out of place despite probably needing to improve on his overall strength and endurance. Would love if we had a spot for him.

The idea though of Goodrow-Rydahl-Reaves still is exciting though. That's a tough as nails 4th line with some skill to finish for sure.

Reactions: n8

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
You are absolutely right, pre-season rwb got excited. Honestly, just feels like Otthman is not out of place despite probably needing to improve on his overall strength and endurance. Would love if we had a spot for him.

The idea though of Goodrow-Rydahl-Reaves still is exciting though. That's a tough as nails 4th line with some skill to finish for sure.
I'm still good with giving Othmann 9 games. Rydahl and Reaves can rotate and Goodrow can alternate center and wing.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I'm still good with giving Othmann 9 games. Rydahl and Reaves can rotate and Goodrow can alternate center and wing.
Yeah I like this idea too. It just feels like Otthman needs to get as much exposure as possible to the pro game right now. It's definitely worth exploring, wouldn't mind starting the clock on his ELC too if he earns it. Might not be horrible to rotate that 4th line and there will be injuries at some point.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...why did he wait until 28. Why not try to make the NHL earlier so you have a better chance of a longer NHL career ...
"longer NHL career" is not the over-riding objective for very player,
especially guys born and developed overseas

he was on some good teams, 4 SHL playoff runs of 10 games or more
he may have had compelling reasons,
or, he may just have pleased with his situation

especially beginning in '18, when, at 23,
he joined team close to home,
(he played teen hockey there from '08-'10)
and re-signed for 4 more seasons

[Google translate]
"This is what you've been waiting for since the day you left Karlstad, to be able to return and play in Färjestad, says Rydahl."
"That he now gets the opportunity to come home and play in his parent club is something he is looking forward to and has longed to do.
- There will be something extra, of course. You have always given everything for the teams you played in, but now it is Färjestad and then it will be on a completely different level. After all, this is where I started and I am very happy to now be able to put the shirt on again."

Reactions: nyr2k2

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Does the 9 game do anything? Isn’t he too old for that 9 games to mean anything?
Yeah, he's still eligible to slide the contract.
Yeah I like this idea too. It just feels like Otthman needs to get as much exposure as possible to the pro game right now. It's definitely worth exploring, wouldn't mind starting the clock on his ELC too if he earns it. Might not be horrible to rotate that 4th line and there will be injuries at some point.
I wouldn't mind starting the ELC either. Might prefer it, could mean his ELC expires when the cap is $5 million or so lower. He would be a year younger and less established too. Don't want him sticking around for the full year, though, unless he earned a bigger role, which I have doubts he will.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I wouldn't mind starting the ELC either. Might prefer it, could mean his ELC expires when the cap is $5 million or so lower. He would be a year younger and less established too. Don't want him sticking around for the full year, though, unless he earned a bigger role, which I have doubts he will.
Both good points, would keep him a little more cost-controlled having his ELC end before another huge jump. I think it's worth keeping an open mind. If he can play 40 games on the 4th line, along with sprinkling another 10-15 (or more) filling in up the lineup because of injuries, I think I'd be ok with that for him.

I think it could prepare him better for a 3rd line role next year getting accustomed to the pro game strength and speed wise too.

Reactions: Thirty One

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
"longer NHL career" is not the over-riding objective for very player,
especially guys born and developed overseas

he was on some good teams, 4 SHL playoff runs of 10 games or more
he may have had compelling reasons,
or, he may just have pleased with his situation

especially beginning in '18, when, at 23,
he joined team close to home,
(he played teen hockey there from '08-'10)
and re-signed for 4 more seasons

[Google translate]
"This is what you've been waiting for since the day you left Karlstad, to be able to return and play in Färjestad, says Rydahl."
"That he now gets the opportunity to come home and play in his parent club is something he is looking forward to and has longed to do.
- There will be something extra, of course. You have always given everything for the teams you played in, but now it is Färjestad and then it will be on a completely different level. After all, this is where I started and I am very happy to now be able to put the shirt on again."

Yeah, and also with Rydahl, he wasn't really on the radar until the 18-19 season when he scored 19 points in 47 games, and even that probably only generated mild scouting interest. It wasn't until the 19-20 season that he really made a name for himself. Then he was injured basically the entire next season. Without knowing what his contract status at those clubs looked like, he really might not have even had a real opportunity or legitimate NHL interest until the last year or two.

Reactions: cwede

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
How may forwards are they keeping on the roster? 12 or 13?

They have 11 who will be kept because they are not going to waive them, it pretty much leaves 2 spots at most

Rydahl, does not require waivers, yet Hunt, Carpenter, do.

If they were to keep Rydahl and also say Othmann, even for those 9 games, both Carpenter and Hunt, are waived. Not that I'd expect either to get plucked, yet I also doubt the Rangers take that chance.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
How may forwards are they keeping on the roster? 12 or 13?

They have 11 who will be kept because they are not going to waive them, it pretty much leaves 2 spots at most

Rydahl, does not require waivers, yet Hunt, Carpenter, do.

If they were to keep Rydahl and also say Othmann, even for those 9 games, both Carpenter and Hunt, are waived. Not that I'd expect either to get plucked, yet I also doubt the Rangers take that chance.
The expectation is that we will carry 22 players, including 13 forwards and 7 dmen.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The expectation is that we will carry 22 players, including 13 forwards and 7 dmen.
Right, if Rydahl makes the roster, Othmann is not making the team, unless they are willing to waive two of Hunt or Carpenter, or I guess Reaves.

Not likely to happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad