Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Gustav Rydahl

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
His NHL/AHL salaries have no bearing on whether or not we can send him to the AHL, nor does his waiver status.

The only players who can't be sent to the AHL are players drafted out of the CHL who have not yet met the 4 years/age 20 requirements.

If a player is waiver eligible, they must first clear waivers before they can be sent down. If a player has an NMC, they must agree to be sent down. If a player has a European Assignment Clause, they can choose to return to Europe rather than go to the AHL.

Rydahl is waiver exempt and there's no chance he has an NMC. It's possible that he'll have an assignment clause, but again, that doesn't stop us from sending him down. It just means he can choose to go back to Europe instead. We'll see if he ends up having one, but it's also quite possible that he traded not having the clause for the guaranteed money. It's only 1 year, so if he ends up in Hartford, he can make good money for a year, then go back.

Yes--I just meant that the one-way salary could be an extra sweetener to encourage him to stay in Hartford and not exercise the European Assignment Clause (if he has one), not that it affects AHL eligibility.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a player of his ilk doing quite well in the AHL, where it can be a bit tougher to score.

Reactions: egelband

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I like his release. Pretty good hands. His skating seems pretty good. Much better than our current 4th liners. I see him fighting to score goals. I see him fighting. He looks a bit lanky so I could see him struggling with bigger NA skaters. If he can make the adjustment and gets consistent ice time, I could see him pot 20-30 points. If he's stuck skating 6 min a game, he's probably looking at a 10-15 points.

Reactions: bernmeister

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
4th is floor, 3rd line is reachable ceiling.

but my pt is I don't trust Drury on certain things.

Rydahl's ceiling isn't 3rd line.

Well, in the same universe where Boo Nieves is a first line center, I guess Rydahl has 3rd line upside.

What's Boo up to these days? Stocking shelves at his local grocery store?

Reactions: McRanger92

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Is he gonna be as good as Michael Lindqvist & Ville Meskanen?
I had concerns about those guys when they came over because both were guys who relied on finding seams to use their shots, and who weren't really going to be players if they weren't scoring.

Rydahl seems like he could be a player even if he doesn't contribute offensively. Of course, the odds are still against him, but I think there's a tad more reason for optimism.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I had concerns about those guys when they came over because both were guys who relied on finding seams to use their shots, and who weren't really going to be players if they weren't scoring.

Rydahl seems like he could be a player even if he doesn't contribute offensively. Of course, the odds are still against him, but I think there's a tad more reason for optimism.

Yeah. This is more an Andres Ambühl situation than a Michael Lindqvist/Ville Meskanen/Malte Stromwall situation anyway.

1-way contract, which will keep him in Hartford even if he doesn't crack the line up right away.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Speaking of, this from article re Swiss defeat of Canada at WC:
"The game marked the 120th in the long career of Swiss assistant captain Andres Ambuhl, setting an IIHF record for top-level World Championship play"
It's a good point to make. A lot of these guys that we sign that don't work out here, it's like people think they don't make it because they're bad players and our scouts suck. Which isn't the case--many of those guys go on to have prodigious careers in Europe or Russia and star for their national team. Sometimes their games just don't translate to the NHL. That's the gamble. And it's a gamble with little downside. For every Zucc, you'll have 10 guys that don't work out, but that's okay.

Rydahl, I think, it's a safer bet because what he does, he should be able to plug right into the NA game and continue doing his thing. He may even benefit from the smaller sheet of ice and increased physicality of NA. Same for someone like Edström.

Reactions: egelband

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Stop with Euros already

lol -
What I like is that it seems like we could have a few Swedes in HFD next season. Hopefully these guys can bond and help each other.

Nils Lundkvist
Olof Lindbom
Adam Edström
Karl Henriksson
Gustav Rydahl

Am I missing someone? Five guys from one country is a lot, I can remember 2-3 for shorter periods but don’t recall that we ever had 4.

Nils Lundkvist - hoping he finds his way but my gosh, the bias hype train crashed an burned since coming the North America

Olof Lindbom - still have no idea why he was drafted in Round 2

Adam Edström - still hoping this skyscraper makes it.

Karl Henriksson - meh

Gustav Rydahl - who?

Reactions: Slaydagnar

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
lol -

Nils Lundkvist - hoping he finds his way but my gosh, the bias hype train crashed an burned since coming the North America

Olof Lindbom - still have no idea why he was drafted in Round 2

Adam Edström - still hoping this skyscraper makes it.

Karl Henriksson - meh

Gustav Rydahl - who?
Nils is the best dman outside the chel. Nothing has changed.

Reactions: mas0764

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rydahl's ceiling isn't 3rd line.

Well, in the same universe where Boo Nieves is a first line center, I guess Rydahl has 3rd line upside.

What's Boo up to these days? Stocking shelves at his local grocery store?
1. We agree to disagree. He's not really like Rooney, who we see can play in top 6 as fill in pinch hitter even if he is not a top 6 guy himself. But he's def a big improvement over McKegg. I would argue, esp if we are talking potential not immediate, that he is enuf over McKegg to crack 3rd line in NHL somewhere. Whether that applies to here depending on who they can retain is another story.

2. As to my valuation, Nieves experiment should have been tried no reason not to, and it is on the club for failing to go there.
And very classy of you, btw, to take a dig at a guy who had 4 concussions when he left us, I believe.

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
I think I've said it in some other thread but this is what Rydahl brings to the table.
He hates to lose and he does pretty much anything he needs to make sure it does not happen. A couple of years ago he was viewed as a 4th line SHL forward that had a hard time sticking to one team and was bounced around alot. Then he came to Färjestad and within two years he was our #1 center, center/foward in the national team in both world cup and olympic games and his offence just shot through the roof..

He plays a gritty game and uses his strength to keep the D away and takes the inside going either straight for the goal or circles the net, often then also around the hashmarks to find a D man jumping in and start a long O zone time. His forwards love him since they know they hardly ever needs (in the SHL) to assist him winning the puck along the boards, they just find the position and get ready for the pass.

His shot is very underrated in the SHL, snappy forehand and a really good backhand with D climbing on his back.

It's the hardest player to lose to far BUT.. I think Michael Lindqvist is a fantastic player too so I guess it's what and how is used when you bring him over that will set the standard of who will show up.. The forth line that for a couple of years struggled in the SHL or the SHL top center that can do so much more than tackle and be a pest.

One more thing, just as Lindqvist he has had some injury issues over the years, several knee injuries but from what I know it's was not an issue this past season after surgery and rehab in last years off season.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
sorry if repeat post

just found this article when looking into the russian D, Grigori Dronov,
whose AZ PTO was announced today, by CF, after attending their Dev Camp

Gustav Rydahl, F (NY Rangers): A six-foot-three forward, Rydahl plays like a wrecking ball. He’s aggressive and effective in using his frame to defend. His offensive upside is limited, but the Rangers have plenty of talented young forwards who bring skill to the table. Already 27, Rydahl isn’t coming to North America to spend years in the AHL, he’s coming to compete for a fourth line role. The AHL could be Rydahl’s ceiling, but he could also prove a useful, and affordable fourth line checker.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
sorry if repeat post

just found this article when looking into the russian D, Grigori Dronov,
whose AZ PTO was announced today, by CF, after attending their Dev Camp

Gustav Rydahl, F (NY Rangers): A six-foot-three forward, Rydahl plays like a wrecking ball. He’s aggressive and effective in using his frame to defend. His offensive upside is limited, but the Rangers have plenty of talented young forwards who bring skill to the table. Already 27, Rydahl isn’t coming to North America to spend years in the AHL, he’s coming to compete for a fourth line role. The AHL could be Rydahl’s ceiling, but he could also prove a useful, and affordable fourth line checker.
I absolutely think NYR signed him to try to fill 4C.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Can't wait to the triple G line of Gustav, Gettinger, Gauthier line tear it up in the preseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad