Friedman: Rangers listening on Alexandar Georgiev

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
It's fair. I wouldn't be upset if this turned out to be the deal.

But here's the deal, and this is important. The Rangers hold some serious leverage here. They can wait if they want, and need to be convinced not to. The Leafs are under the gun, so if they want to get the Rangers to act now they would need to go from what might be considered fair, in a vacuum, to an overpay.

I think the teams that are looking for goalies outweigh the number of good goalies available, so you've also got supply and demand driving up the price here.

The further the Leafs are out of it, the less the need for a goalie.

Reactions: Disgraced Cosmonaut

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Right. I hope they still win games 5-4 to stay in it :naughty:
But if they do that, there won't be a dire need to overpay for a goalie. Andersen will be playing in the playoffs (if they make it), so winning games 5-4...8-7...or 1-0 doesn't matter, it's still 2 points per win towards getting to the show.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Or they make a trade for Campbell or Dell or another goalie and poof....leverage gone. In fact, with the Leafs out (the team with the biggest need at the moment) the Rangers may lose value.

Possible. Then the Rangers might wait and re-evaluate the market in the offseason.

I think Georgiev is better than both those options you gave, short term and long term. The Leafs know that, I think.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Possible. Then the Rangers might wait and re-evaluate the market in the offseason.

I think Georgiev is better than both those options you gave, short term and long term. The Leafs know that, I think.
A. I think the Rangers should wait and evaluate in the offseason anyways.

B. I'm sure the Leafs put Georgiev atop their want list of goalies, but you need to look at the long game.

Option A. Give in and trade Kapanen for Geo, Geo gets maybe 5-7 starts the rest of the way...hope you get in.

Option B: Trade 2nd/3rd for Campbel who has term and solves the backup problem going forward...Campbell gets 5-7 starts the rest of the season and back's up Freddie beyond. THEN trade Kapanen in a deal that addresses the desperate need for an upgrade at D, and have that D for the rest of the season (and the playoffs should they get in).

It's not always about which singular player is marginally better than another, it's about using your available assets to improve your team as much as you can.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I will never say i am always right...but we Leafs fans are constantly told what is going to happen on this site.. and we are generally pretty close with our assesments.
Muzzin-HF told us no way we get him for less than 1st+Sandin or Lil+...we pretty much said 1st+2nd=Prospect+...i think one guy called the trade bang on.
This is a reminder from HF to brush your teeth and call your mother....
Kadri-HF told us no way we get a top 4D for him...we got Barrie and Kerfoot for Kadri and Rosen

HF was correct about Marleau needing a 1st to move.

Hf told us no way anybody takes Zaitsev's full contract.

Hf told us we'd never movd Phaneuf without massive retention

HF told us we would be paying massive amounts for Luongo including 1sts and Rielly. The Leafs walked away from 2 2nds and Scrivens

I have no hatred of Georgiev, but i doubt Dubas will be paying more than any goalie in Georgiev's situation has ever garnered. I may be wrong...i guess we will find out.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I don't see Georgiev as being good enough to change or make a difference for the Leafs.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think Georgiev not starting tonight should quell the rumors at least a little.
It could be as simple as the fact that hd had a rough outing last time he faced the Leafs, or that they don't want to risk injury to a guy on the block like Kreider.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
It could be as simple as the fact that hd had a rough outing last time he faced the Leafs, or that they don't want to risk injury to a guy on the block like Kreider.

I'm saying he isn't necessarily on the block.
I'm actually hoping you guys go with what you have.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Fair enough.

Since the first Georgiev thread from months ago started, I felt that NY was not in dire straits to have to move him. I mean having 3 goalies is odd but these guys are still rebuilding for it to really matter and if they got rid of Geo just to play Hank, that would be a really bad way to manage assets. Maybe the Rangers simply sit Hank for the next couple of weeks and then a couple of days before the TDL they ask him about waiving his NMC.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
You guys can give us Kap now for Geo. We already have our future star goalie in Igor.

Ship is sinking fast in Toronto, better make moves before you’re outside looking in.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
You guys can give us Kap now for Geo. We already have our future star goalie in Igor.

Ship is sinking fast in Toronto, better make moves before you’re outside looking in.

We already are, so overpaying for a backup makes even less sense now.

Stormcrow

Jul 5, 2010
Apparently the leafs are getting Jack Campbell and Kyle Clifford for something according to Sportsnet.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad