Friedman: Rangers listening on Alexandar Georgiev

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
New York just called up uberstud, future Hall of Famer, GOAT the Mighty Igor. He's like a combo of CuJo, Belfour, Roy, Richter, and MARTY rolled into one.

But I'm not here to wax poetic...even though Igor deserves all the praise in the world. I mean he's the best!

But seriously, Igor Shesterkin was called up and it doesn't appear he's here for just a jaunt.

Henrik's not waiving his NTC, so it sounds like Georgiev is on the move.

So give us your best offers! Georgy has struggled the last few games, but before that he was fantastic and is still only 23. He's only going to get better. We need C and LW depth. We need scorers and playmakers. We need offensive help, not so much defense.

And yes, we like draft picks.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It's blocked where I am, sorry.

"Shesterkin recall is not related to goaltending health issues. No word at this point, team practices at 11, but expect Shesterkin to get the assignment tomorrow at MSG v Colorado. They didn't bring him here to dance."

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I think the Rangers are just giving Shesty a cup of coffee in the NHL and are gonna carry 3 goalies in the short term, which is awkward and kinda weird but I think that's what theyll do. Not like anyone else is worth burning a roster spot on as Brendan Lemieux is on IR. I don't think a Georgiev trade is imminent.

but this might force more teams to call and up their offers for the goaile after seeing the recall news, so maybe a trade will happen.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
It is more likely that Shesterkin plays a couple of games here and there, but gets re-assigned to AHL for the playoffs. This summer, it's a possibility Lundqvist retires, or the NYR decide to move him somehow.

Worst come to worst, they can start next season with 3 goalies. I honestly doubt they deal Georgiev unless blown away by an offer

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It is more likely that Shesterkin plays a couple of games here and there, but gets re-assigned to AHL for the playoffs. This summer, it's a possibility Lundqvist retires, or the NYR decide to move him somehow.

Worst come to worst, they can start next season with 3 goalies. I honestly doubt they deal Georgiev unless blown away by an offer

I think you are correct. The Rangers aren't going to move Georgiev just to open a spot. The return needs to be worth it, and we need to see what Shesterkin can do at this level before we trade anyone.

I don't, however, believe that we will start next year with 3 goalies. Something will have to give between now and then.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Because he's 23 and really good?
His numbers haven't been very good since coming over to NA, but maybe that's a reflection of the team in front of him? It's not like this is a situation like Schneider or Jones, where their NHL numbers were a lot more proven to be potential starter caliber, especially in Schneider's case.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Is there a reason that Georgiev would be in demand that I'm missing?
Goalies with "starting potential" are always in demand, because there's a lot of teams who have goalies with starting potential that either never reach that potential, or goalies that seem to trend downward and struggle a few years after being in a starting role.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That's three trades in dozens and dozens of goalie trades over the years that returned far less

Also, all three of your examples happened at or right before the draft.

Nobody gives a first straight up (or better) for a goalie in-season
Yeah, I remember all those Ryan Miller threads when the Blues were going for him, and how Buffalo was demanding this great prospect haul with a 1st. They got a 1st, cap dumps, and a decent prospect that became a 4th liner, and he was in the middle of a really good season.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
That's three trades in dozens and dozens of goalie trades over the years that returned far less

Also, all three of your examples happened at or right before the draft.

Nobody gives a first straight up (or better) for a goalie in-season

3 examples is still 3 examples, so it does happen, though your point about it not happening in-season is a good one. That said, there could be a team desperate enough to part with a 1st rounder now. I don't think anything is imminent, though. I've said all along that we need to see what Shesterkin can do first before we consider trading Georgiev. And in any case, we shouldn't trade him unless we get a good return. So if the only offers are a 2nd round pick, then we should hold onto him and deal with the 3 goalie rotation as well as we can until a better offer comes along or we find a different solution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad