Friedman: Rangers listening on Alexandar Georgiev

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So we'd be trading Kreider to make room for a much worse Kapanen. Gotcha.

When you can't see more than one chess move at a time.... Seriously, you don't understand why Kreider is likely on the move? Moving Kreider, and obtaining Kapanen would have been two non-correlated events... other than, that is where your cap space comes from. That said, this monster list of teams needing a Georgiev, just dropped... you know, supply and demand. The ask was ridiculous in the first place.. but enjoy your second + B prospect return.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Question for ranger fans , would you rather go into next season with the two russian goalies? Or sheshtyorkin and the king?

I know my friend whos a rangers fan absolutely refuses to get rid of henrik, id personally keep the two kids at this point . Talked to him jokingly about a rangers wings trade and he wants Athanasiou back but id find it hard to trade him after getting 30 goals last season even though hes currently struggling for a guy who has upside but is an unknown commodity and told him to move on from the king with where hes at in his career

So, keep the king over georgiev?or move on

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
I’m one of the few Ranger fans who wants Georgiev kept on the team. I’d be more than happy with a 3 headed goalie next year as well. At the end of the day, I haven’t seen enough of Yorkie to say hey this kid is gonna be better than Georgiev. What I can say is Georgiev is a very good keeper now and will only get better. I truly believe Georgiev will be an All Star in this league.

Reactions: Hockeyfannnn91

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I’m one of the few Ranger fans who wants Georgiev kept on the team. I’d be more than happy with a 3 headed goalie next year as well. At the end of the day, I haven’t seen enough of Yorkie to say hey this kid is gonna be better than Georgiev. What I can say is Georgiev is a very good keeper now and will only get better. I truly believe Georgiev will be an All Star in this league.
I don't think you're one of the few. I really don't think you'll find many NYR fans who want to move Georgiev. However, you'll find a lot of NYR fans who don't see Lundqvist going anywhere and not wanting to roll 3 goalies where development for Shesterkin or Georgiev could become an issue if Lundqvist still gets 30 or so games.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
When you can't see more than one chess move at a time.... Seriously, you don't understand why Kreider is likely on the move? Moving Kreider, and obtaining Kapanen would have been two non-correlated events... other than, that is where your cap space comes from. That said, this monster list of teams needing a Georgiev, just dropped... you know, supply and demand. The ask was ridiculous in the first place.. but enjoy your second + B prospect return.

It really has nothing to do with Kreider. I was just responding to the one Leafs fans who brought him up because of my username. Even in the likely event we trade away Kreider.. we are still going to be up against the cap with no use for a $3.2 million unnecessary winger. DeAngelo is going to get a huge contract, Strome probably gets an expensive short term contract, Lemieuex needs to be re-signed and I really hope we find a way to keep and extend Georgiev too.

There are a ton of moving pieces here for the Rangers over the next few months. Not to mention Shattenkirk's buyout is in the way of adding salary.

And ironically bringing up not being able to see more than one chess piece at a time when Dubas had to hold off on signing a UFA backup goalie because he was unsure how much cap space he had to play with due to Marner's uncertainty and that cost the Leafs two draft picks and all the points Hutch lost you this year.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street

Maybe Georgiev will be traded closer to the expansion draft.

The Leafs could be one of their suitors if their intention is to move away from Andersen whose c contract expires at that time.

We may still see a Georgiev to Leafs trade at some point in time.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Cant see how you can carry 3 goalies next season in full you’ll have to decide on moving on from georgiev or henrik

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
I don't think you're one of the few. I really don't think you'll find many NYR fans who want to move Georgiev. However, you'll find a lot of NYR fans who don't see Lundqvist going anywhere and not wanting to roll 3 goalies where development for Shesterkin or Georgiev could become an issue if Lundqvist still gets 30 or so games.
I dont think you carry three goalies for next season though, that would just be a huge mess . Its ok for now but i cant imagine going 82 games and rotating starts and keeping all 3 happy

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
How many times does it need to be explained that the price for Georgiev was based on what it would take for us to move him, not what others thought he was realistically worth?

Yes. Georgiev is the classic example where he is more valuable to the Rangers than he would be in a trade so we'd have to be blown away with an offer we cant refuse to move him.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Question for ranger fans , would you rather go into next season with the two russian goalies? Or sheshtyorkin and the king?

I know my friend whos a rangers fan absolutely refuses to get rid of henrik, id personally keep the two kids at this point . Talked to him jokingly about a rangers wings trade and he wants Athanasiou back but id find it hard to trade him after getting 30 goals last season even though hes currently struggling for a guy who has upside but is an unknown commodity and told him to move on from the king with where hes at in his career

So, keep the king over georgiev?or move on

In a perfect world we move forward with Georgiev and Shesty. But moving Lundqvist is a huge barrier to that reality for a number of reasons.

I'm not sure Gorton wants to be the one who has to live with being the guy who traded the 2nd or 3rd best player in his franchises history.

And who is taking on Lundqvist and his contract? We would surely have to retain the full 50% and have to take back a bad contract on top of that. And this is all assuming he agrees to waive his NTC, which seems very unlikely. Based on past comments he seems content that he will retire without a Cup and now being a career Ranger is more important than Cup chasing elsewhere.

Hate to say it but we are probably stuck with Lundqvist. Maybe Gorton bullies him into retiring or waiving his NTC by forcing him in the press box the rest of the season and Lundqvist grows impatient/doesn't want to leave 20-30 more wins on the table to seal his HOF bid. He is currently 31 wins away from 3rd most in NHL history. That may be important to him and has to be taken into consideration.

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
In a perfect world we move forward with Georgiev and Shesty. But moving Lundqvist is a huge barrier to that reality for a number of reasons.

I'm not sure Gorton wants to be the one who has to live with being the guy who traded the 2nd or 3rd best player in his franchises history.

And who is taking on Lundqvist and his contract? We would surely have to retain the full 50% and have to take back a bad contract on top of that. And this is all assuming he agrees to waive his NTC, which seems very unlikely. Based on past comments he seems content that he will retire without a Cup and now being a career Ranger is more important than Cup chasing elsewhere.

Hate to say it but we are probably stuck with Lundqvist. Maybe Gorton bullies him into retiring or waiving his NTC by forcing him in the press box the rest of the season and Lundqvist grows impatient/doesn't want to leave 20-30 more wins on the table to seal his HOF bid.
My opinion? Hockey is a business. I get Lundquist is/has been a fan favorite and franchise player...but he;s also been paid very well to be there. Gorton should not feel bad for trying to have the best team he can, that's his job. The best case scenario is to have a meeting with Hank and explain the situation going forward...Gorton needs to try to keep both young guys.

You don't do something shady to force Hank out, that isn't right. And ultimately, Hank has the final say. But Gorton shouldn't feel one bit bad for asking him to waive.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
My opinion? Hockey is a business. I get Lundquist is/has been a fan favorite and franchise player...but he;s also been paid very well to be there. Gorton should not feel bad for trying to have the best team he can, that's his job. The best case scenario is to have a meeting with Hank and explain the situation going forward...Gorton needs to try to keep both young guys.

You don't do something shady to force Hank out, that isn't right. And ultimately, Hank has the final say. But Gorton shouldn't feel one bit bad for asking him to waive.

Telling him he has to ride out the rest of his contract as a healthy scratch is not necessarily shady. He is the 3rd best goalie on the team. Every given night we have a better chance of winning with Igor-giev in net. We are still technically in a playoff race. It is what is best for the team.

I agree though I really hope Lundqvist sees the writing on the wall and just retires to save himself the embarrassment of riding pine for the next year/being bought out/not fulfilling his goal of having a one-team career.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Telling him he has to ride out the rest of his contract as a healthy scratch is not necessarily shady. He is the 3rd best goalie on the team. Every given night we have a better chance of winning with Igor-giev in net. We are still technically in a playoff race. It is what is best for the team.
Maybe not shady, but that would be my last resort...that's not to professional.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
The issue is Hank. He has had a great career, but its time to move on. Either retire gracefully, or accept a trade.
As a Ranger fan, I want to keep Georgiev. Together with Shesterkin, they could be the best 1A-B in the NHL.
Why move him for garbage?
I see potential but im.not sure he has avery high chance of being a great starter for any length of time. Is a great backup a 1B or a 2A?

B4 you get all nasty like hf loves to do I'm just asking your opinion I'm not telling you you're wrong or even that I really disagree

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
And ironically bringing up not being able to see more than one chess piece at a time when Dubas had to hold off on signing a UFA backup goalie because he was unsure how much cap space he had to play with due to Marner's uncertainty and that cost the Leafs two draft picks and all the points Hutch lost you this year.

Not what happened.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Most of this place cant read

Daaaamn you're the winner

The Leafs were not the team with the biggest need lol. They have a top 5-10 goalie. Teams like Ottawa, Detroit, San Jose literally have no plan in net moving forward. Is Carolina really content with Mrazek/Reimer for a long playoff run? Does Colorado think Grubauer can win a Stanley Cup?

Maybe Boston knows they're losing Halak this summer and a potential offseason swap of Backes++++++++ for Lundqvist 50% retained could maybe make sense? Maybe Washington has interest in Lundqvist retained as a 1b mentor/insurance policy to Samsonov when they lose Holtby to UFA?

Does Edmonton really want to waste anymore of McDavid and Draisaitl's prime years messing around with Koskinen and Mike Smith?

H00fHearted

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah, some Rangers fans believe that Lundqvist has meant so much to the franchise that they should keep him until the end of his contract. Other Ranger fans believe that the team should be focused on completing the rebuild and moving on from Henrik.

The one thing that I think all Rangers fans can agree on is that the nickname "Yorkie" should never be mentioned ever again.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
The Leafs were not the team with the biggest need lol. They have a top 5-10 goalie. Teams like Ottawa, Detroit, San Jose literally have no plan in net moving forward. Is Carolina really content with Mrazek/Reimer for a long playoff run? Does Colorado think Grubauer can win a Stanley Cup?

Maybe Boston knows they're losing Halak this summer and a potential offseason swap of Backes++++++++ for Lundqvist 50% retained could maybe make sense? Maybe Washington has interest in Lundqvist as a 1b mentor/insurance policy to Samsonov when they lose Holtby to UFA?

Does Edmonton really want to waste anymore of McDavid and Draisaitl's prime years messing around with Koskinen and Mike Smith?
Glad they didnt have the biggest need. And?

I just saw him predict the leafs might grab Campbell instead. They did. I'm giving him kudos for being right.

Idk wtf i said that you're responding to here, especially in the beginning lol

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Can we Sabres fans start flogging Vesey, Erod, or Bogosian? LOL
Aw6PC6a34ESofrJozQdPFLpj7IXTTBQoGUKuGziCvZ7HWECQlOWqCaPpmZPv2Av042-Ilo1_4_OJqAVe7Mc2atDvKQ4Qo7L79nuMryWF4R6uNyjKoMPauP9McVdedUhg7p8Budp5taNdM9OSd-Z0UurgFTRXJhwBO4Q

Reactions: Mitts888

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Glad they didnt have the biggest need. And?

I just saw him predict the leafs might grab Campbell instead. They did. I'm giving him kudos for being right.

Idk wtf i said that you're responding to here lol

The poster you responded to said the Rangers will lose value now that the Leafs (the team with the biggest need) were out on Georgiev

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Maybe Boston knows they're losing Halak this summer and a potential offseason swap of Backes++++++++ for Lundqvist 50% retained could maybe make sense? Maybe Washington has interest in Lundqvist retained as a 1b mentor/insurance policy to Samsonov when they lose Holtby to UFA?

Edmonton is currently 2nd in the Pacific with those 2....you think that they see Georgiev as a guy to spend what Rangers fans want on? They need scoring wingers, not a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad