Friedman: Rangers listening on Alexandar Georgiev

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Edmonton is currently 2nd in the Pacific with those 2....you think that they see Georgiev as a guy to spend what Rangers fans want on? They need scoring wingers, not a goalie.

2nd in the Pacific lol they'd be behind 4 teams for the last WC spot in the East

Reactions: bl02

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I see potential but im.not sure he has avery high chance of being a great starter for any length of time. Is a great backup a 1B or a 2A?

B4 you get all nasty like hf loves to do I'm just asking your opinion I'm not telling you you're wrong or even that I really disagree

It's hard to say. How many great starters are there in the league? A lot of people want to label a goalie without really understanding the position or circumstance.
Goaltending is sometimes hard to assess. You may have a goalie who plays really well when he see lots of shots, but is awful when he only sees a little bit of action. You may have a goalie who makes acrobatic saves that look amazing, but gets out of position too often. Or a guy who makes routine saves look acrobatic.
A guy like Georgiev relies on fundamentals and positioning. He rarely overextends. He moves his body to the puck and stays upright. He isn't afraid to stay on his feet and challenge the shooter. On top of that, he has above average athleticism, so he is capable of making the highlight reel save when its needed. So, there is no guaranty, but he is young and has all the tools.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
2nd in the Pacific lol they'd be behind 4 teams for the last WC spot in the East
Did they change the playoff structure?
Oilers are 28-19-6. Goaltending isn't their problem, secondary scoring on the wing is. As a Rangers fan, you should be thinking Kreider to Edmonton, not Georgiev.

The teams to target in a Georgiev move are Deteroit and Buffalo. And if you want to push the "might miss the playoffs" sales pitch like we Leafs fans were seeing? Go after the Canes.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Maybe not shady, but that would be my last resort...that's not to professional.
The professional thing to do would be to sit Hank down and discuss how he wants to end his career. He could accept a trade, retire or, potentially, become the third goalie.
Success, and GM's/coaches/players jobs are based on winning. You do what puts your team in the best position to win. That is being professional.
Hank has been paid handsomely over his career. His jersey will hang in the Garden someday. All of it deserved, but he no longer warrants much playing time. That is the reality all athletes must face one day.

Reactions: RANGERS13ADL

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Did they change the playoff structure?
Oilers are 28-19-6. Goaltending isn't their problem, secondary scoring on the wing is. As a Rangers fan, you should be thinking Kreider to Edmonton, not Georgiev.

The teams to target in a Georgiev move are Deteroit and Buffalo. And if you want to push the "might miss the playoffs" sales pitch like we Leafs fans were seeing? Go after the Canes.

I just don't see a Koskinen/Smith duo as getting the Oilers anywhere serious now or in the future. Just my opinion that they are one of a number of teams that have a bigger need for a goalie on Georgiev's level than the Leafs since Andersen is a top 5 goalie and it wouldnt have been wise for the Leafs to spend those types of assets on a goalie that is going to get at best 15-20 ish starts in any given year as long as Andersen is still around.

If Campbell and Clifford got a 3rd and a conditional 2nd just imagine what it would have taken to get Georgiev and Fast.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The professional thing to do would be to sit Hank down and discuss how he wants to end his career. He could accept a trade, retire or, potentially, become the third goalie.
Success, and GM's/coaches/players jobs are based on winning. You do what puts your team in the best position to win. That is being professional.
Hank has been paid handsomely over his career. His jersey will hang in the Garden someday. All of it deserved, but he no longer warrants much playing time. That is the reality all athletes must face one day.
I whole heartedly agree.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I just don't see a Koskinen/Smith duo as getting the Oilers anywhere serious now or in the future. Just my opinion that they are one of a number of teams that have a bigger need for a goalie on Georgiev's level than the Leafs since Andersen is a top 5 goalie and it wouldnt have been wise for the Leafs to spend those types of assets on a goalie that is going to get at best 15-20 ish starts in any given year as long as Andersen is still around.
Edmonton is one of the last teams i'd think of when looking to spend the assets the Rangers seem to want for a goalie. again, if you want to value Georgiev as a starter (i won't get into that), then you've got to look at teams that absolutely need one. Edmonton has committed to Koskinen. Is he good enough? I dunno. But you have to look at teams that NEED a starter going forward...again, Sabres and Wings jump to mind.

Reactions: White Death 24

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Edmonton is one of the last teams i'd think of when looking to spend the assets the Rangers seem to want for a goalie. again, if you want to value Georgiev as a starter (i won't get into that), then you've got to look at teams that absolutely need one. Edmonton has committed to Koskinen. Is he good enough? I dunno. But you have to look at teams that NEED a starter going forward...again, Sabres and Wings jump to mind.
Wings unprotected first pick lol. I'd love to see that actual conversation

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004

At this point moving Georgiev looks to be a summer move, as the teams that should have interest have no need to make the deal now.

Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa, SJ, Minnesota, Vegas, LA...these are teams that could use a talented, young cost controlled goalie moving forward. But none of them are likely to make the move prior to the deadline for various reasons.

Reactions: White Death 24

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
In a perfect world we move forward with Georgiev and Shesty. But moving Lundqvist is a huge barrier to that reality for a number of reasons.

I'm not sure Gorton wants to be the one who has to live with being the guy who traded the 2nd or 3rd best player in his franchises history.

And who is taking on Lundqvist and his contract? We would surely have to retain the full 50% and have to take back a bad contract on top of that. And this is all assuming he agrees to waive his NTC, which seems very unlikely. Based on past comments he seems content that he will retire without a Cup and now being a career Ranger is more important than Cup chasing elsewhere.

Hate to say it but we are probably stuck with Lundqvist. Maybe Gorton bullies him into retiring or waiving his NTC by forcing him in the press box the rest of the season and Lundqvist grows impatient/doesn't want to leave 20-30 more wins on the table to seal his HOF bid. He is currently 31 wins away from 3rd most in NHL history. That may be important to him and has to be taken into consideration.
Ya i cant see him moving on or being dealt which i think is a mistake for the team but like you said how can you trade a franchise star player like henrik whos been there his whole career

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The Red Wings for sure. What are NYR's needs?

AA swap, 1 for 1. If Fabbri is available, I would be in on that as well.

Past that, we need forward prospects. Our defensive pipeline is flush with players. A guy who could eventually fill in a spot on the 3rd line, possibly even a 3C, as Brett Howden has shown better on the wing and Lias Andersson left the team and I'm not sure he'll ever play for the Rangers.

Reactions: Mister Ed

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m one of the few Ranger fans who wants Georgiev kept on the team. I’d be more than happy with a 3 headed goalie next year as well. At the end of the day, I haven’t seen enough of Yorkie to say hey this kid is gonna be better than Georgiev. What I can say is Georgiev is a very good keeper now and will only get better. I truly believe Georgiev will be an All Star in this league.

You've chosen to not see enough of Shestyorkin. He's played hockey for years, and done it a lot better than Georgiyev.

I don't know why some Rangers fans insist Georgiyev is going to be an above-average starting goalie in the NHL. There's almost nothing he's done that suggests that. His numbers have went down every season of his career as he's gotten more games each season. He's shown that he can't handle a high workload. He's never strung together more than four starts in a row .900+ in any season of his career. To contrast, Shestyorkin's first five starts in the NHL are .900+.

Georgiyev hasn't even outplayed Lundqvist this season. As mediocre as Lundqvist has been and as much as he's declining, he's probably been slightly better than Georgiyev. Some fans will use the excuse that the Rangers defense is bad, but even his advanced stats in recent seasons are very average. In contrast, Hank's advanced stats behind the defense are rather good.

Georgiyev will probably be an adequate back up and might be a 1B caliber of goalie, but if you seriously believe we don't know Shestyorkin is better or seriously believe Georgiyev is valued around the NHL as an elite young goalie, you have Rangers goggles on. Georgiyev is a very average asset with average value around the league.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Carolina still has Mrazek and Reimer signed through next season. Neither is great but nothing to suggest Georgiev will be better. So unless one is traded back, Carolina won’t be interested. You’ve got the Red Wings, Blackhawks, Devils, Oilers, Sharks who might be interested.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Carolina still has Mrazek and Reimer signed through next season. Neither is great but nothing to suggest Georgiev will be better. So unless one is traded back, Carolina won’t be interested. You’ve got the Red Wings, Blackhawks, Devils, Oilers, Sharks who might be interested.

I'd guess that the Rangers would trade him to a team that only has 1 goalie signed for next year, and has a need for a goalie upgrade

Going off that: Detroit, Chicago (though if Lehner is back, they don't make sense), Sharks are the 3 teams that make the most sense.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
AA swap, 1 for 1. If Fabbri is available, I would be in on that as well.

Past that, we need forward prospects. Our defensive pipeline is flush with players. A guy who could eventually fill in a spot on the 3rd line, possibly even a 3C, as Brett Howden has shown better on the wing and Lias Andersson left the team and I'm not sure he'll ever play for the Rangers.

I think that AA has more value than Georgiev, but the NYR's young netminder will have a higher price. For the long haul, I would do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad