Rumor: Rangers, Islanders and Devils aggressively seeking Trouba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
*sees absolutely ****ing MASSIVE contract EK signed to kill my dream of him playing with the Lightning*

Feelsbadman.jpg

*Gets idea about Trouba*

Heeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

San Jose did you guys a favor. You would have had to gut the middle of your roster just to sign him.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
San Jose did you guys a favor. You would have had to gut the middle of your roster just to sign him.
But that's what made the deal so great! I don't want some of those guys anymore. Maybe we can get rid of perfectly good 20 goal scorers who no show in the playoffs for Laine too lol

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trouba has made a total of $14.4 million over his 6 year career. I'd bet he'd like to lock in a big 7-8 year deal rather than playing another year on a below-market 1-year "show me" contract. If he goes to a top market in the eastern USA where he can be a top pairing RD and get a big long deal, why would he gamble on another short deal?

Reactions: Snowman

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Trouba has consistently shown he is willing to bet on himself and not be swayed by the security of a long term big dollar deal. The promise or belief the payoff will be there while having complete control to be a free agent seems to have been his game plan and not sure that changes.

He'll get substantial money this year as he did last year so unless the opportunity fits his desire I don't see him compromising for a big long deal that isn't to his ideal.

That type of deal would need to be with one of maybe 2 or 3 teams he absolutely wants to be tied down too imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: PWJunior

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Trouba has made a total of $14.4 million over his 6 year career. I'd bet he'd like to lock in a big 7-8 year deal rather than playing another year on a below-market 1-year "show me" contract. If he goes to a top market in the eastern USA where he can be a top pairing RD and get a big long deal, why would he gamble on another short deal?

I would suspect his arbitrated salary this summer if it came too that would be north of 7 million on a 1 year deal.

I mean he is either worth that and earned that or he isnt, but it will not be a below market deal

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Trouba would be a phenomenal addition. He's one of the best young two way d-men in the game. It just doesn't feel like the right time for the Rangers to make a play here.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would suspect his arbitrated salary this summer if it came too that would be north of 7 million on a 1 year deal.

I mean he is either worth that and earned that or he isnt, but it will not be a below market deal
He would get more than 7 million this year if he signed a long-term deal... also, he would be assuming the risk of injury or even a down year, without much upside.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
He’s not going to any of those teams. Winnipeg is trading trouba for abdelkader and Franzen

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
He would get more than 7 million this year if he signed a long-term deal... also, he would be assuming the risk of injury or even a down year, without much upside.

Not much upside? Are you kidding? There is no bigger upside play for him than to hit UFA as early as possible. Everything he's done to this point in his career has hinted at this too. He's going to break character all of a sudden when everything he has worked for is right on the horizon? Yeah, not seeing it.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

No question there’s going to be many teams disappointed they didn’t land Trouba.....but Trouba influences the locations and Jets control if he’s traded or not.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
No question there’s going to be many teams disappointed they didn’t land Trouba.....but Trouba influences the locations and Jets control if he’s traded or not.
Chevy likely knows two things: 1) which teams are most interested in Trouba; 2) which markets Trouba is interested in (from previous conversations with his agent). What he is trying to do now is make the right match while getting the best return possible. There is always some brinksmanship in this, and I expect it will go down to some sort of "deadline", likely set by Chevy, for teams to make their best offers. If he goes to a market he likes but doesn't agree to an extension right away, the Jets will insist on conditional future picks if he re-signs with the new team.

Reactions: Zetterbeer

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

WPG will make up its lost leverage (and then some) just by virtue of how good and valuable Trouba is. They'll get a haul for him, and rightfully so.

I'm not really interested in entering that bidding war, if I'm the Devils. If we're going to blow our load in a trade, it needs to be for top-line forward talent or an LHD which will do much more to improve and balance our defense.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Chevy likely knows two things: 1) which teams are most interested in Trouba; 2) which markets Trouba is interested in (from previous conversations with his agent). What he is trying to do now is make the right match while getting the best return possible. There is always some brinksmanship in this, and I expect it will go down to some sort of "deadline", likely set by Chevy, for teams to make their best offers. If he goes to a market he likes but doesn't agree to an extension right away, the Jets will insist on conditional future picks if he re-signs with the new team.

100% correct

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Couple questions

Trouba can only sign an extension July 1st or later?

Any extension would include his last RFA year and can not have an activated clause in it until he reaches UFA status within that extension?

He is going to want to pick his destination?

Yet if he signs a long term extension and there is no trade protection in it until he reaches UFA status within that extension, the team who signed it could trade him anywhere?

If a 2nd trade took place, the team trading for him could opt out of any pending clauses as they have not activated yet?

So he'd have to trust the team who he signed an extension with would not trade him prior to those clauses taking effect?

Why is he not just pushing for a 1 year deal so he can sign as a pure UFA next summer and have any trade protection be in effect upon that signing?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Wonder if TB jumps into this race or not. Depends on what happens with Point and if we can clear any other cap.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Couple questions

Trouba can only sign an extension July 1st or later?

Any extension would include his last RFA year and can not have an activated clause in it until he reaches UFA status within that extension?

He is going to want to pick his destination?

Yet if he signs a long term extension and there is no trade protection in it until he reaches UFA status within that extension, the team who signed it could trade him anywhere?

If a 2nd trade took place, the team trading for him could opt out of any pending clauses as they have not activated yet?

So he'd have to trust the team who he signed an extension with would not trade him prior to those clauses taking effect?
He can sign an extension at any time with the team that holds his rights.

Why is he not just pushing for a 1 year deal so he can sign as a pure UFA next summer and have any trade protection be in effect upon that signing?
He can sign with any team that owns his rights.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
why does everyone keep calling trouba a number one when he plays as a 3 on a team that's defence is decent but not great?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
He can sign with any team that owns his rights.

Right, yet if he is trying to pick his long term destination, wouldn't he want trade protection? A no movement, or no trade clause?

I think in the CBA, the only way he can have that is once he reaches UFA status.

So if he is signing a long term extension post trade, which includes pending clauses, he could be traded after signing that extension and before those clauses activate.

If he were traded he would not be choosing his destination as the team who holds his rights without any in effect clause, could trade him anywhere with that extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad