Rumor: Rangers, Islanders and Devils aggressively seeking Trouba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
What could Tampa offer that would be enticing?

They kept the cost down with their contracts, but, as a consequence, nearly all of them have NTCs or M-NTCS. Only ones without clauses are Kucherov, Cirelli, Joseph, Rutta, Sergachev, and Cernak.

Segachev + Miller (assuming WPG's not Miller's M-NTC) +? It helps WPG on the left side a bit, and Miller can contribute to the middle-6, but I wouldn't find that overly-attractive myself.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
What could Tampa offer that would be enticing?

They kept the cost down with their contracts, but, as a consequence, nearly all of them have NTCs or M-NTCS. Only ones without clauses are Kucherov, Cirelli, Joseph, Rutta, Sergachev, and Cernak.

Segachev + Miller (assuming WPG's not Miller's M-NTC) +? It helps WPG on the left side a bit, and Miller can contribute to the middle-6, but I wouldn't find that overly-attractive myself.
I like Cernak, Cirelli, Sergachev, Foote, of course TBL has their 1st. TBL can definitely build a nice package for deal but not sure if they'd want to. They have cap hurdles to get through even w/o considering Trouba.

Reactions: Charlie Conway

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I like Cernak, Cirelli, Sergachev, Foote, of course TBL has their 1st. TBL can definitely build a nice package for deal but not sure if they'd want to. They have cap hurdles to get through even w/o considering Trouba.

Indeed. Unless they can shed at least two of those contracts (Callahan, Miller, Palat, Johnson, etc.) to re-sign Point, I don't see how they could make it work with him, never mind Trouba. Possible? Yes, but, as you said, it'll require some savvy moves.

That said, they do need RD. I don't see Rutta nor Cernak as being that #1 RD answer, but maybe I'm wrong and Cernak is indeed ready to take that next step.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I think Trouba is severely overrated. Just keep the D squad as it is and fill upp offensively. Maybe go for Laine or try to pick up some pieces from the KHL There's alot of hidden gems over there

You wouldn’t want to give up what you would need to give up to pry Laine out of Winnipeg.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Where's that Kadri-trade?

I thought Avery was legit.

Avery is a moron and Kadri is too close to a lateral move at 2C (considering both sides of the puck) and that’s not even considering his discipline problems. Kadri for the Jets isn’t worth giving up Trouba for and other teams would outbid the Jets from a futures offer POV. Plus Jets are reported to be on his no trade list.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Wonder if TB jumps into this race or not. Depends on what happens with Point and if we can clear any other cap.

They could, they have the pieces. Jets can take cap back but it needs to fill and give full value at either 2C and/or RHD positions.....no wingers or cap dumps.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Yeah Tampa has loads of prospects or young players that would be interesting, but they have to figure out their cap situation first, and Point, and Trouba will probably be traded by then.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah Tampa has loads of prospects or young players that would be interesting, but they have to figure out their cap situation first, and Point, and Trouba will probably be traded by then.
why would they trade Point :confused:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
fyi from Lebrun's Notebook LeBrun Notebook: San Jose’s patient approach with Erik...

Those “pending developments’’ that Barry mentioned above regarding the Jets is something else that required further attention. Surely, one of those developments is the Jacob Trouba situation, which will now play out quite differently due to the Karlsson signing. First, because whatever teams had Karlsson ahead of Trouba as an option must now focus harder on their trade efforts for the Jets blueliner. That should help Winnipeg extract a higher return in a trade.
Secondly, when it comes to Trouba’s next contract, well, the Karlsson signing has to impact the bottom line. Trouba’s not Karlsson, of course, but if you’re agent Kurt Overhardt you have to sit back and ask, how many million more a season is Karlsson worth? Teams trading for Trouba are going to want to know if they can sign him to an extension past next season before making their best offer.
By the way, my understanding as of Monday is that the Jets still haven’t given Overhardt permission to speak directly to teams on Trouba. At some point — closer to when a trade is consummated — one assumes that will be the case (unless Winnipeg attaches a conditional aspect to the deal, which would be the other way around it).
A selection of teams with interesting in Trouba includes the Rangers, Coyotes, Penguins and Flyers.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I know the threads about Devils, Islanders and Rangers, but IMO the Devils just don't have what the Jets are looking for and the Islanders have so much at RHD I can see them wanting to wait for Dobson instead of making a now play for Trouba.

I look at the Rangers and I like the pieces on their team so much. They've really done a great job putting talent together. Trouba is a foundation piece of any team as he's entering his prime as a top pair defender. I've always assumed that the acquiring team will work out an extension before any trade occurs so they have the security of knowing that he'll be there long term at a price point they can work with. If the situation was reversed I'd be uncomfortable moving the players asked for without the security of knowing he's going to be a long term add.

For Rangers fans, if you think you're 2-3 years away from contending, would you consider an extended Trouba (say 7 by $7.5) for Zibanejad before his NMC kicks in on July 1st? I know that isn't the asked speculated in the article, but I'm just wondering if it's something you would entertain as Zib would be hitting UFA right when you started to contend where if you traded him to us you'd still have 28 year old Trouba for 4 more years at that point. I realize you'd need to package up other players to trade for a C like a Turris, or hit the UFA market for a Duchesne or bring Hayes back. Or don't do anything and bottom out another year and add another super high end prospect. You'd have lots of depth at RD to make a trade happen and you could go with Trouba, Deangelo, Fox on the right side long term. So Pionk, Lundkist, Shattenkirk (who you could retain on) could all be moved out. On left D you have Skjei, Hajek, Miller and Lindgren which looks like an elite back end in a few years. Trouba replaces the veteran leadership you lose with Zib.

Anyhow, I think it could make sense for both teams if Trouba will extend with the Rangers. I know you don't want to, but if that's what it took to win the bidding war would you do it?

Russell Heinrichs

May 16, 2019
buff is the #1 rd on the jets all day every day
Buff is not the Number 1 right defenseman. Trouba is.... Trouba plays responsible two way defense. Buff is far from a reliable defenseman. Remember Buff played forward for most of his hockey career. He's not known for thinking defense first. Another big difference, Buff gets way more PP time than Trouba. This was one of Trouba's complaints about playing for Wpg.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Buff is not the Number 1 right defenseman. Trouba is.... Trouba plays responsible two way defense. Buff is far from a reliable defenseman. Remember Buff played forward for most of his hockey career. He's not known for thinking defense first. Another big difference, Buff gets way more PP time than Trouba. This was one of Trouba's complaints about playing for Wpg.

If Trouba is your #1 defenseman, sounds like that’s going to be a big blow to your team losing him. Mini rebuild?

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Ahhh Winnipeg, never change. Trouba announces he doesn't want to be here, Jets fans tell him not to let the door hit his ass on the way out of town.

Now he's being shopped and he's a bonafide #1 who can anchor your blue line.

I mean, he's a good defenceman but let's not get carried away. He's never won a damn thing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Ahhh Winnipeg, never change. Trouba announces he doesn't want to be here, Jets fans tell him not to let the door hit his ass on the way out of town.

I mean, he's a good defenceman but let's not get carried away. He's never won a damn thing.

Lol. That's HF Boards in a nutshell.

WilsonNY14

Jun 18, 2018

Eh he won 2 U18 WJC gold metals and 1 U20 WJC gold medal. He's won something, so let's not get carried away.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Seems like Trouba has been planning on hitting UFA as soon as he could for a while now. No matter where he gets traded to, why would he re-sign when UFA is right around the corner and as a premium RHD... he's going to get paid.

At this point, I would say the odds of Trouba signing with Detroit a year from now are better than him remaining in Winnipeg.
If a trade is contingent on him signing an extension this offseason, I think he does it. Unless he gets traded to a US city where she can transfer her schooling to he’s stuck in a long distance relationship with his fiancé and he’s coming off a pretty good year numbers wise so he should have some leverage. I think he can hit 60-70 points with a full time spot on a first PP, but he won’t get that playing out his final RFA year in Winnipeg, and he may get less time on the first PP then he did last year which would hurt his position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad