Rangers calling out DOPS! (UPD: NYR fined $250,000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You jump him.

He has jumped enough players and started throwing punches before the other guy even has his gloves off.

So you give him a taste of his own medicine.
ok, then what? You now take an instigator penalty and misconduct. You really think that would stop TW from being TW?

The only answer is to take out a Caps skilled player. Eye for an eye.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
This very well could be true, and I don't disagree with a lot of what you just said. However, I still think calling for the ouster of the head of DOPS in a public statement is a garbage move for an organization to make.

Also, if teams really do feel that way, then there better be a lot soul searching and looking in the mirror. To pretend all other NHL teams employs upstanding players is just laughable. This will lead us down a road of no srums/no fights.
The statement is directly from the ownership of the New York Rangers, one of the members of the NHL Board of Governors, they are an original 6 storied NHL organization. Fine? Don't kid yourself, there will be no fine, this organization has sway in the room, their financial standing for the league commands it, their owner just witnessed 2 of his investments assaulted, 1 injured. There will be repercussions for those actions, then Rangers ownership isn't going to let this go, bank on it.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
ok, then what? You now take an instigator penalty and misconduct. You really think that would stop TE from being TW?
I actually think Tom Wilson's ego is such that he might think again before being a douchebag, if he knows he will get his ass kicked by a hired goon if he tries anything.

A nice beating on the ice, for everyone to see, might humble him a little bit.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Rangers are going to get fined a lot more than Wilson.

The NHL won't appreciate one of its teams drawing attention to incompetence. Especially after the Tim Peel fiasco damaged the credibility of the league.
The league is damaging the credibility of the league and the Rangers are giving the league an out.

And when Wilson ignores the hired goon, then what?
Obviously the goal of bringing in a dude from the LNAH wouldn't to fight Wilson, it would be about seriously injuring him via a cheap shot.

If the Rangers wanted to be taken seriously, they should have made a rational, objective argument based on the rules (if such an argument is possible).

This simply ends up reading like an emotional response, which isn't going to convince anyone of anything.

You'll be sadden to learn that multiple studies have shown that emotional appeals are a lot more convincing than rational ones.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I actually think Tom Wilson's ego is such that he might think again before being a douchebag, if he knows he will get his ass kicked by a hired goon if he tries anything.

A nice beating on the ice, for everyone to see, might humble him a little bit.
That never happens.

The only thing that would deter TW is seeing one if his skill players get cheap shot due to his sins.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
You jump him.

He has jumped enough players and started throwing punches before the other guy even has his gloves off.

So you give him a taste of his own medicine.
ok, then what? You now take an instigator penalty and misconduct. You really think that would stop TW from being TW?

The only answer is to take out a Caps skilled player. Eye for an eye.
I'd argue this is the path the NHL and the DOPS are setting down. If the DOPS is going to enforce the rules in an inconsistent, lackadaisical way, how long before we end up with another Bertuzzi-Moore incident where a team feels they have no recourse but to take punishment into their own hands?

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I watched what Wilson did like 3 times, and I don't know but when I started watching and loving hockey that wasn't called a horrifying act of violence that was called "Monday".
I don't even think his punch is the worst.

I see him on the replay, with his stick against another player's throat, and drive the player face-first into the ice (and the player's throat onto his stick).

That could seriously injure someone's neck and throat.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I'd argue this is the path the NHL and the DOPS are setting down. If the DOPS is going to enforce the rules in an inconsistent, lackadaisical way, how long before we end up with another Bertuzzi-Moore incident where a team feels they have no recourse but to take punishment into their own hands?
I agree - this is the risk the league takes.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I mean..... they're not wrong.
Using a term like horrifying act of violence is 100% incorrect and embarrassing from an NHL franchise in regards to something like this. The social media era has made even professional sports franchises complete beta whiners full of hyperbolic nonsense.

Laughing stock at this point.

Last edited:

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Teams can be fined much more, expect closer to a million dollar fine.

That might be tough to swallow for a small market team, but teams like the Rangers and Leafs are worth $1.5B+ [or something in that ball park]. Its a drop in the bucket.

Also, don't forget, teams that generate revenue at the level the Rangers, Leafs, Canadiens, etc do help all the small market teams stay in the league. Rangers are an important organization in the NHL in terms of their financial success, and I think it speaks volumes an organization as large as the Rangers were willing to put out a scathing comment like that requesting accountability.

Its not just the Rangers. Check the media. Its bad press. The league created bad press for themselves. NHL was trended recently for the wrong reasons.

Lowrider

Apr 25, 2021
While I agree with Rangers in terms of the message they try to convey, that statement is worded very emotionally which makes it sound whinier than it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad