Rangers calling out DOPS! (UPD: NYR fined $250,000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
If I'm the Rangers I would call up as many goons as I could for the next game. I mean what's the worst thing that could happen? You get fined?
I sadly agree. A lesson needs to be dispensed here, and if the league isn't going to do it, then take matters in to their own hands and every Rangers player hunt down Wilson on the ice. What's the worse that can happen? You get fined? Well worth the money payed if they injure Wilson, and the more significant the injury, again, sadly, the better, as the rest of the league players will actually be safer for it.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
People are only outraged because it's Tom Wilson. If this was practically anyone else it's not even news. I thought maybe he'd get 1 game for targeting buchnevichs head while he was defenseless but only for the fact that he has a reputation.

Is it major though? Debateable.
I mean isn't this the reason we have the repeat offender rule?

When have fans ever been okay with punching a defenseless player in the back of the head while he's face down on the ice?

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I guess. Tell that to the players in the New York dressing room though. Doubt they care about morality points.

On the same token how can the league say they care about player safety and then fine a player $5000 when they were clearly being reckless? If the league can do it why can't the Rangers?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Even a lunatic like Zac Rinaldo was able to change his behavior. Wilson just never learns.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
They can't act like they're disappointed in DOPS for not suspending someone for goonery and then do the EXACT thing they called out the DOPS for not punishing. It diminishes the message. Either put out the press release OR tell your players that the only thing that matters tomorrow is that Wilson leaves the ice on a stretcher. Can't do both.
I'd say the contrary. The Rangers could argue that anything that happens to Wilson now is a necessary response due to the DOPS failure to adequately punish him.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I sadly agree. A lesson needs to be dispensed here, and if the league isn't going to do it, then take matters in to their own hands and every Rangers player hunt down Wilson on the ice. What's the worse that can happen? You get fined? Well worth the money payed if they injure Wilson, and the more significant the injury, again, sadly, the better, as the rest of the league players will actually be safer for it.
I'm certainly not saying I advocate for that. What I am saying is that if the league can't discipline it's players the players will and we have seen what that eventually leads to. Perhaps this will be the catalyst.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Listen, I think Wilson is a POS clown, but this is going down a slippery slope. The organization could've said they're not happy, maybe a review of the DOPS is in order, etc, but to call for the ousting of Parros while not having any other grievances with the DOPS prior to this. (Correct me if I'm wrong) Just Silly. Total 2021 BS move.

Soon enough the scrums/fights will be out of the game. A lot of emotion will be lost. I'm sure we/I will move on, and I'm sure many will be pleased, but I for one love the edge hockey brings. I hope it doesn't get lost.

Even with all that said, I think Wilson should've been punished harder. Its just is a slippery slope because pokes, punches and even takedown happen post whistle a lot. NHL is in a bind now. Ugh.

I think it's just an org has finally had enough with the incompetence of the DOPS and ripped them a new one. I imagine most other orga are secretly giving the Rangers a Thumbs up.

That department and how they handle discipline is out dated and out of touch with what most of the fans actually value in hockey now. The whole department needs to get gutted. Better yet have a neutral third party handle all discipline.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
People are only outraged because it's Tom Wilson. If this was practically anyone else it's not even news. I thought maybe he'd get 1 game for targeting buchnevichs head while he was defenseless but only for the fact that he has a reputation.

Is it major though? Debateable.
The fact that it is Wilson makes the outrage justifiable.

How many times is the NHL going to allow the same player to constantly attempt to injure people before they take action?

Allowing Wilson to escape serious punishment over and over again is almost like giving a serious repeated criminal parole after serving only 1/3 their sentence.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Lol, it was not a "horrifying act of violence". But it should have been a suspension.

And beyond any discussion of Tom Wilson, the NHL needs to get rid of ALL the after the whistle crap. Stop glorifying facewashing, whacks after the play, cheap shots on goalies after the whistle blows, cross checks after the whistle etc. Big hits during actual play, keep 'em coming, in fact give me more. Grown men simply overpowering one another on the boards, love it. Get rid of the rest, it leads to nothing good.

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019
Wow. This is what's known as going nuclear, no?

I don't know why I feel this pang of regret for Parros but I don't know if I would have called him out personally. Maybe he's a goof who's incompetent, but personally I doubt he really has the autonomy to decide these things without several layers of oversight.

Put differently, I don't like the idea that the NHL can erase this by getting rid of Parros and moving on as if he just made a bad call on this one. It's an NHL problem, it's not a Parros problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad