Rangers calling out DOPS! (UPD: NYR fined $250,000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
There needs be a suspension or some kind, or a penalty to the NYR staff. It is not allowed for the coaches to get involved with referee decisions; quite similarly, this sort of public challenge against the decrees of the league must be addressed. What Wilson did was not great, but that does not make a case for the NYR to challenge the due process in this way.
When you are the DOPS, make a decision that seems to be as wrong as this is and don't even have any sort of transparency you don't get to claim "due process was followed". Most people will question it.

Reactions: Biltmore

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
i love these responses because they clearly show that you have nothing to actually counter with. so it defaults to some variant of "lmaoooo u mad". it's easier to not respond at all instead of embarrassing yourself
A hyperbolic nonsensical response likening hockey to a bullet being shot isn't worthy of being taken seriously. I don't remotely care what someone here thinks of me and insulting someone personally over what some millionaires did on the ice is beyond the pale levels of embarrassing. Says more than enough about you all than I could ever type.

Reactions: Smokin krak koken

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I expect that they have extremely strong support from many other owners as well, that they secured before putting up that statement.
You know it. And as a Sabres fan of 50 years, as a hockey fan, Wilson's actions when combined with his history warrant it.
No one wants this, but given what is now known about head injuries especially, action is demanded, Parros and his department fell short, they will answer for that, one way, or another.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
A hyperbolic nonsensical response likening hockey to a bullet being shot isn't worthy of being taken seriously. I don't remotely care what someone here thinks of me and insulting someone personally over what some millionaires did on the ice is beyond the pale levels of embarrassing. Says more than enough about you all than I could ever type.
It's one overdramatic/emotional line in an otherwise valid statement. Exaggeration shouldn't invalidate the entirety of what was stated.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Perhaps, but when has public pressure ever been a factor in DoPS decisions? They are bound by actual rules and don't have the leeway to make things up on the fly based on perception. All decisions (especially in terms of forfeiture of salary) must be legally justifiable, or else appeals and lawsuits occur.

At the end of the day, they released a statement that can be easily dismissed as an emotional one and therefore not a rational one. Not one person is going to have their mind changed by this. The Rangers being "big mad" at the decision would have been fully expected when the decision was made.

Meanwhile, if they went public with a well-put together argument for why the decision was indefensible based on the rules and previous interpretations, then the NHL would have to scramble and do damage control. You can't keep Parros once he has been clearly shown to be incompetent.

The NHL, you're familiar with it aren't you?

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Settle it on the ice, not on Twitter. But then again this is 2021 where outrage mobs reign supreme.

also “horrifying act of violence” is absolutely absurd lol

The statement lost all credibity with "horrifying act of violence". You know who should actually lose their job? The guy that came up with that.

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
My mistake, I thought you guys wanted something that was good for the NHL. The league giving in to a train of teams crying about not getting their way (for once) isn't good for the NHL.

Then there's the potential precedent of giving in to one team and appointing someone that's good for one team. The optics on that.

There's one Tom Wilson, but there's a pile of calls and inaction that every team (including the Capitals) can point at and go "You guys really failed us here". I still think DoPS generally gets more right than they get wrong. Including Wilson's last suspension.

Repeat. Violent. Offender.

No precedent will be set if the league steps up and corrects its mistake. This is a unique situation that is obvious to everyone but you and Caps fans.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Where did I insult you? I said you have nothing to actually respond with. Saying "it's not worthy of being taken seriously" is yet another way to deflect. The point of that poster's post was that whether or not Panarin actually suffered a head injury is irrelevant in evaluating the danger of Wilson's action. That's what the bullet analogy is saying. Do you have a response to that, or are you going to deflect again?

Reactions: bobc222

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
LMAO you are the one casting personal insults in this thread at others repeatedly, I agree it is very embarrassing for you.

I also see that you missed the point of the bullet analogy. To explain it more simply for you, the point of the analogy was not to assess the degree of the incident (I never compared a bullet being shot to hockey), but rather to assess the outcome of the incident and the blame that can be assigned with respect to the outcome (the bullet missing the target and whether we can still hold the shooter accountable).

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Yeah, rag dolling a helmetless player to the ice head first TWICE isn't horrifying then I don't know what is.
Don't engage with a player who is far more imposing physically than you in a scrum when he's surrounded by 3 Rangers. Panarin punches Wilson when he's down, he gets up, 3 guys are there and he goes after Wilson. Boo, F'ing hoo after that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Perhaps, but when has public pressure ever been a factor in DoPS decisions? They are bound by actual rules and don't have the leeway to make things up on the fly based on perception. All decisions (especially in terms of forfeiture of salary) must be legally justifiable, or else appeals and lawsuits occur.

At the end of the day, they released a statement that can be easily dismissed as an emotional one and therefore not a rational one. Not one person is going to have their mind changed by this. The Rangers being "big mad" at the decision would have been fully expected when the decision was made.

Meanwhile, if they went public with a well-put together argument for why the decision was indefensible based on the rules and previous interpretations, then the NHL would have to scramble and do damage control. You can't keep Parros once he has been clearly shown to be incompetent.

No one was ever going to have their minds changed regardless of if the Rangers put out something or nothing. As far as I know teams can't appeal the DOPS so nothing was going to ever change on the Wilson front.

But it has gotten the media and the fans talking. Almost to an outlet that I have seen almost everyone of the talking heads is blasting the NHL.

If enough of the the NHL's major sponsors or TV providers get on board with that sentiment, well money talks and it will force change.

Crow

May 19, 2014
If I shoot a bullet at you and miss, does it still count as "horrifying"? Just because we got lucky that Panarin wasn't disabled or killed doesn't mean that it wasn't horrifying. You need to look at the entire situation and not merely the outcome, in determining how bad something was. The outcome can be an escalating or mitigating factor, but the intent, the action and the likely risks of the action are foremost.
A horrifying act of violence to me is something like a terrorist act or murder of an elderly person. This is just an assault in a hockey game between grown ass men.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

For someone who doesn't like whiners...

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
That would only damage the NHL further.
To who, a minority of whiners on social media? As usual the Twitter mob over inflates their value, the vast majority of people couldn't care less about this and anyone with a set would be completely turned off from this level of hyperbolic nonsense from the Rangers and that's exactly what this grandstanding is, hyperbole.

Horrific act of violence? Give me a break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad