Confirmed with Link: Rangers acquire Patrick Kane, Cooper Zech for 2023 2nd (Becomes 1st in 2024 or 2025 if NYR Make ECF), 2025 4th, A. Welinski; Condt'l 2025 3rd to AZ

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Yeah. Much like the Rangers had Chicago's feet over the fire to some degree, Arizona had some leverage over the Rangers. Particularly if they felt like they were the only team offering to absorb the hit to get the deal done.

I wouldn't want the deal to fall apart over the difference between a third and a fourth, given the relative (lack of) value of those picks.
Whether the logic makes sense or not, Draft Picks in later Draft years always come with perceived lower value as well. I believe that one is for 2025.

Reactions: nyr2k2

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
As of this moment, if I had to rank teams in the East in terms of SC probability, this is my order: (and keep in mind, wherever I put the Rangers is completely bias):

1. Bruins
(they have a very good, balanced team, top to bottom. Very good goaltending and very good D) but their biggest advantage is they've played the right way all year long. They have been clicking in a way that makes them very formidable. This season, they've gotten the best most consistent goaltending in the entire league.

2. Tampa
They are playing pretty mediocre. Their D is not as deep without McDonagh, but they are a damn buzzsaw. They will beat up most teams who have to go through them.

3. Toronto/NYR
I think we're neck and neck with TO. IF Igor can elevate his game and the whole team elevates their D structure and puck management, then maybe we could find a small edge. But it's really close. Both teams added quite a bit at the deadline, so both squads face a bit of a chemistry/mix question. But I really like the O'Reilly addition for them. If they add a goalie, that'll be interesting. I just wonder about adding a goalie at the deadline. Adding a starter at the deadline just seems like a risky proposition. The X factor for us will be Kane's effect on the team. I don't mean on the score sheet necessarily. I mean in the swagger department. That is an intangible that can't be measured ahead of time

4. NJ/Hurricanes
The Devils could surprise. Vanecek has had a very good season. Meier could be a big boost. Tons of skill. Forward lines have done really well all year. They are very similar to us last season. I don't think they're playing with much pressure. Despite all that, I wonder about their D and G in the playoffs. Though, in fairness, we've had D and G issues most of this year -- more than they have. The Canes -- I mean we all know what they can do. They keep adding more of the same kind of player. I just don't know that they have what they need to compete at the highest levels of the conference in the playoffs.

All this to say -- I think we're basically right in the middle here. I think anyone can beat anyone within this group.

It's a blessing for anyone coming out of the Metro that we don't have to play 2 of Boston, Tampa and Toronto. And we can only hope that whatever team survives those first two rounds is doing so on a half a leg.

The West is wide open. It kinda reminds me of 1994, when the Canucks made it to the Finals and were not really that great.
Until we beat Tampa they are better...they whupped our butts in 2015 at home ecf 5 and 7...brutal ..zero goals

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019
I will also say, I do not like the New Jersey matchup for us in the first round.
I’m right there on the emotional side. A loss to them in the 1st round is something that absolutely makes my stomach churn.

But, I’d like to see how this NJ team responds to playoff hockey before I jump fully there. Plus, they don’t have the BS 3 on 3 OT to lean on.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The whole concept of retention is to retain on cap hit. Nobody gives a damn about the actual dollars. The third was paid to take on cap hit.
Well, for teams on a shoestring budget every year, the actual dollars can and do make a difference. I know it's not the case here (in this inflated example I'm giving), but for a "budget" team, there would be a big difference between retaining a $4M cap hit with $4M in actual salary as opposed to a $4M cap hit with $2M in salary. Arizona would seem to fit into that category of team that cares about the actual money owed more so than the cap hit.

With that said, I would think that cap hit is more of a factor in determining the going rate of retention as that's an objective number that can be compared deal vs. deal, whereas the actual money is more subjective depending on the team. It's probably a combination of both, the more that I think about it.

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
I just don't get how you stop:

Kreids-mika-tarasenko
Panarin-tro-Kane
Laf-chytil-kakko
Motte-goody-mott

Lindy-fox
Miller-troubs
Mikola-schneids

West coast trips are rough and team went through crazy shenanigans, but are they not better now? By subtracting leshitty and adding kane, thats already about 20 wins added no?

I believe shesty has a switch and its incumbent on him to turn it on come the playoffs. Some things I'd do if I were coach:

If kane-panarin are no bueno or tarasenko isn't working on that top line, you have the ability to switch em, or move one to the third line and then you have yourself a kessel situation. That's where I see kane. I think he would unlock laf and chytil, with kakko already good enough with kreider and mika but that's just me.

We have some time to expirement which is nice.

For pp1:

Kreids-mika-kane(right circle)-panarin(left circle)-fox

Pp2:

Tro(net front)- chytil- tarasenko-(right circle)-laf(left circle)-Miller(or trouba, doesn't matter tbh)

If you want, switch kakko for laf and then have chytil be left circle, kakko play in the middle.

I like pp1 way more but pp2 can get some decent looks.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Maybe I’m the outlier but I’d LOVE to face NJ in the first round. I think there would be less attrition on this team than facing any of the other three slightly possibles. And it would be with them having no experience in playoff hockey. You catch them in the second round and maybe they are past the jitters and getting used to the play tightening up. I don’t look at them as having a good playoff style team. I just don’t. If Hughes gets hit a few times or knocked out of a game (cleanly) how do they deal with it? I love Meier, but he’s no superstar. We can deal with him, I don’t remember him doing much against NYR this year at all. Plus, higher stakes/rivalries always make for a more exciting series. Bring it.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Let the Devils think adding Timo Meier (they're losing Bratt in the summer) was the missing piece for them. It's possible they beat the Rangers but they have no chance to win a Cup compared to Boston Toronto New York Tampa and Carolina. One raging hot start to a regular season that theyve leveled off from doesnt make you a true contender. Lindy Ruff might also be the worst playoff coach in the East.

Yeah, the Devils have next to zero chance to win the Cup. They are a one trick pony.

Albeit a one trick pony that I think give us in particular some problems. But they aren't gonna beat Carolina then Boston or Tampa back to back.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Kreider-Mika-Kakko
Panarin-Trocheck-Tarasenko
Laf-Chytil-Kane
4th line

if you want to get experimental with it ...

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
You know I'm not a "grit" person but if we did move on from Kreider we'd need to add a checking presence in a big way.

He's probably the best forechecker in the league over the last decade.

Hopefully Lafreniere evolves into something similar. He's low-key like 4th on the team in hits or something.

I know patience runs low for a 1OA pick but Kreider would have SUUUUCCCKKKED in the NHL at Lafreniere's age.

Except I hope Lafreniere scores 50 goals nearly every year :0

I mean Devils fans are saying it's Fox and Miller and then a bunch of oil salesmen.

They forgot about Schneider who is coming on strong, fast.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Maybe I’m the outlier but I’d LOVE to face NJ in the first round. I think there would be less attrition on this team than facing any of the other three slightly possibles. And it would be with them having no experience in playoff hockey. You catch them in the second round and maybe they are past the jitters and getting used to the play tightening up. I don’t look at them as having a good playoff style team. I just don’t. If Hughes gets hit a few times or knocked out of a game (cleanly) how do they deal with it? I love Meier, but he’s no superstar. We can deal with him, I don’t remember him doing much against NYR this year at all. Plus, higher stakes/rivalries always make for a more exciting series. Bring it.

If they were called the Atlanta Devils we'd all be fine with the matchup. The emotional consequences are what have people clenching their cheeks, and I get it. If we somehow lose to them I'm going into a darkness retreat like Aaron Rodgers.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I’m still hesitant to say that these moves push us ahead of the Devils, but I do think they help us match up better if we’re expecting the series to turn into a track meet. Kane’s obviously one of the best playmakers off the rush in NHL history, and he adds a much needed element for being able to drive play up ice in transition.

Even if we change approaches and the NZ gets shut down, he’s shown throughout his career that he’s one of the most elusive players ever. We really do have an unreal amount of talent, and we just have to hope now that we can get Igor back on track and keep everyone healthy for the next 6 weeks.

From a NJ perspective, I’d imagine they’re thinking now that they’re going to match up much better against us down low and are going to opt for sheer volume and chaos around Igor for beating him. We were able to win in a matchup like that against Carolina last year, so let’s hope they’re figuring out the best way to handle a similar matchup with this roster.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
If they were called the Atlanta Devils we'd all be fine with the matchup. The emotional consequences are what have people clenching their cheeks, and I get it. If we somehow lose to them I'm going into a darkness retreat like Aaron Rodgers.
I’m betting my mortgage on the Devils to win, that way I’ll still have something the live for if we lose

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The Devils transition game is frightening, and we all know how our D loves to pinch and gets caught at times...I'm truly in no rush to face them in the playoffs.They skate circles around us

But on the other end of the spectrum, their in zone coverage sucks, most of their D is terrified to get hit and their forwards are really small across the board, even with Meier who is a load.

They have like 9 or 10 wins on 3 v 3 OT. That doesn't exist in the playoffs.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
But on the other end of the spectrum, their in zone coverage sucks, most of their D is terrified to get hit and their forwards are really small across the board, even with Meier who is a load.

They have like 9 or 10 wins on 3 v 3 OT. That doesn't exist in the playoffs.
playoff hockey tends to get more detailed oriented and more physical as well and over a 7 game series teams figure eachother out.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Am I the only one who gets annoyed that they don't sew the letters individually like they used to?

It's faster, I guess, having it done on a plate versus manually positioning each letter. The vertical arch lettering is custom and harder than standard arch and no arch. Can't grab standard individual letters. They're actually patterns created from the computer.

Reactions: frozenrubber

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It's faster, I guess, having it done on a plate versus manually positioning each letter. The vertical arch lettering is custom and harder than standard arch and no arch. Can't grab standard individual letters. They're actually patterns created from the computer.
They managed to figure it out just fine in the 80s & 90s without computers. Just like the moon landing in the 60s.

Reactions: will1066

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad