Larry Brooks: Rangers a Finalist for Kerfoot (Update: Kerfoot Chooses Colorado)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I hear what you're saying (and btw well aware that this is not a new thing) but up until recently the distribution of these FAs was pretty even between the large market team and the rest. I might be wrong but isn't here a new trend where these guys are starting to mostly prefer to join NYRs and CBHs of the league. If there's a coalition of small market teams that feels that their interests are undermined then this is something they might take on and it would be something that PA would be willing to give up.

As in cwede post, a necessary condition would be that this player was offered a contract by a team that drafted him.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I hear what you're saying (and btw well aware that this is not a new thing) but up until recently the distribution of these FAs was pretty even between the large market team and the rest. I might be wrong but isn't here a new trend where these guys are starting to mostly prefer to join NYRs and CBHs of the league. If there's a coalition of small market teams that feels that their interests are undermined then this is something they might take on and it would be something that PA would be willing to give up.

As in cwede post, a necessary condition would be that this player was offered a contract by a team that drafted him.

It’s just not going to happen.

The only thing that would happen is expanding the compensatory picks to include picks for players, say, from the first four rounds instead of first round of signed by a team after their rights expire.

Big market teams will never be forced to pay comp picks.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It’s just not going to happen.

The only thing that would happen is expanding the compensatory picks to include picks for players, say, from the first four rounds instead of first round of signed by a team after their rights expire.

This is the premise I find debatable.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
This is the premise I find debatable.

Have fun with that one. That will never happen. Why would we be forced to give up compensation for a player exercising his right to become a UFA? Ludicrous.

The only way it would make sense is to expand the current comp pick rules to the 4th or so round for prospects offered a contract.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
ItÂ’s just not going to happen.

I think that would be very fair, honestly... the players selected in rounds 1-3 have a significantly higher chance than the players in rounds 4-7...

I think at worst they'd look at extending the length of time a team owns the rights of NCAA players.

The PA won't give that up because it essentially can commit a players entire career to a team that he is miserable playing for. You're taking away that choice when the player hasn't yet committed to anything with that team. Being drafted at its core means that team can have control over you--there's no need to make younger and newer players lost control over their careers for more than 4 years...

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Depth signing? Vesey didn't impress me, and I'm reading that this guy isn't as good as Vesey, so I don't really see a reason to add him -- other than depth.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Depth signing? Vesey didn't impress me, and I'm reading that this guy isn't as good as Vesey, so I don't really see a reason to add him -- other than depth.

Vesey finished the season with 16G 11A and ATOI of 13:38 in his rookie season on a competitive team that had a lot of scoring spread out. He added another 5 points in 12 playoff games. But sure its not impressive because he wasn't Austin Matthews...

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

I guess you expected more out of a player we literally got for nothing..

Another guy here we would be getting for nothing. No fan of any organization should be declining getting a player for free.

Hopefully we get him

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Vesey finished the season with 16G 11A and ATOI of 13:38 in his rookie season on a competitive team that had a lot of scoring spread out. He added another 5 points in 12 playoff games. But sure its not impressive because he wasn't Austin Matthews...

I'm just saying the product didn't match the hype. As much as anyone, I hope he proves me wrong this year, as I'd like to see all our players excel.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I guess you expected more out of a player we literally got for nothing..

Another guy here we would be getting for nothing. No fan of any organization should be declining getting a player for free.

Hopefully we get him

I don't mind getting him free; I just expected more out of a highly-regarded 23 year old -- even if he is a rookie.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I don't mind getting him free; I just expected more out of a highly-regarded 23 year old -- even if he is a rookie.

16-11-27 is a strong rookie season, any better is an exception -
not out of Vesey's reach, but that he didnt exced that is not meaningful,
rookie year is a tough transition experience

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Thanks guys, so you have to be smart to go the Ivy League schools but you are maybe not competing for a spot with the avg. Joe?

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Thanks guys, so you have to be smart to go the Ivy League schools but you are maybe not competing for a spot with the avg. Joe?

Not necessarily. Money talks.

:sarcasm:

But I digress. When is his decision expected to be made? It's past 5:30 EST, so I'm curious to hear.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
When is his decision expected to be made? It's past 5:30 EST, so I'm curious to hear.

just, because someone wrote tuesday in an article,
please lets not have a vigil,
this ain't that level of signing or prospect ...

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
just, because someone wrote tuesday in an article,
please lets not have a vigil,
this ain't that level of signing or prospect ...

It would be an exciting addition regardless. he's not a bonafide stud, but he has the potential to be a homegrown bottom 6 center a la Lindberg.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

Yes, they don't exactly lower the standards for athletes at those schools but they're not held to the exceedingly high standards that non athletes are held to. The coaches at Ivy League schools can get a little leeway for their student athletes with admissions, they can't dole out athletic scholarships, so their recruiting is more difficult.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
It would be an exciting addition regardless. he's not a bonafide stud, but he has the potential to be a homegrown bottom 6 center a la Lindberg.

I love it.

One thread is all about how Gorton screwed up losing Oscar & how all hope is lost and the next thread is how a guy we haven't even signed yet is nothing to get excited about because he may only top out as a 3/4 line center.

Only on HF! Woot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad