Larry Brooks: Rangers a Finalist for Kerfoot (Update: Kerfoot Chooses Colorado)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Seems like Pionk was a bit higher tier of college FA but maybe I'm overrating him based on the press he's gotten. Smooth skating puck moving defenseman with a big shot, only 22 years old? Kind of a hot commodity

You could be right. His value is what, like a second round pick maybe? Kerfoot is maybe a third rounder? IDK. I actually saw a little bit of Pionk whereas I don't think I saw Kerfoot last year.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
There will be a "NYR rule" in the next cba that will require a compensatory pick from a team that signs someone else's draftee as a fa (if fa was tendered an offer or something).

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think it's more likely the remove this from the next cba in its entirety.

Won't happen. The union would fight it, and I don't think the NHL cares enough to push the issue. Besides, it's not like it's a special rule for NCAA players. They are just more likely to take advantage of it because they have somewhere to play for 4 years, unlike CHL players who are done at 20/21.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Won't happen. The union would fight it, and I don't think the NHL cares enough to push the issue. Besides, it's not like it's a special rule for NCAA players. They are just more likely to take advantage of it because they have somewhere to play for 4 years, unlike CHL players who are done at 20/21.

I see what your saying but in union negotiations they usually sacrifice the "unborn " meaning they will drop something that benefits future members to help the current group.

Happened with Suffolk PD a few years back. They changed the pay structure for new hires so it took 10 years to get to top pay instead of 5. They also reduced the top pay after those 10 years then what current officers made in 5. Along with making them pay into their benefits.

Did this so they didn't have to pay into their benefits and increase their top pay.

If the union has to sacrifice something to get something for their current members I think this is one of the items on the chopping block.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've never heard anyone other than fans complain about the setup. I don really think it's an issue, or that it's enough of an issue that anyone would consider making it a point in negotiations. Like when the owners do a bargaining survey prior to negotiations on the next CBA, you might have three or four owners mention it and even then it will probably be low on their list of priorities. And because of that it won't even come up in negotiations.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Not surprised, something was holding up us gunning for a depth center and players.

Would Shawn Horcoff be a comparable?

From the little, very little, I've seen of Alex Kerfoot -- I think is much slighter than Horcoff, Bonino and the likes. Different player type. A Horcoff is what, 210 lbs?

Alex Kerfoot is a 5'10 170 center that scored 45 pts in 36 games. Based on that -- he plays exactly like you would expect him to play! One little caveat, he isn't super fast going straight ahead. Of course not slow, but its E-W his skating show the most, not N-S. Think much more like a Derek Ryan in Carolina. Upside Jonathan Marchessault?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The Rangers have an excellent track record with college players. Stepan. McDonagh. Hagelin. Kreider. Hayes. Vesey. I read Kerfoot doesn't want to play at home.

Gilroy, Haggerty, Gilmour, Allen.

It's easy to list the success stories but it's not that easy

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Dumb question, as a hockey player, do you really have to be smart to get into Harvard?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Dumb question, as a hockey player, do you really have to be smart to get into Harvard?

Yes. Ivy League schools like Harvard or Yale don't offer athletic scholarships. You have to be able to get into the school on your academic merits.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Yes. Ivy League schools like Harvard or Yale don't offer athletic scholarships. You have to be able to get into the school on your academic merits.

It's worth noting that with holistic admissions practice, the academic standards to get in a a person who can play on the hockey team and the academic standards to get in as a non-athlete look pretty different.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
There will be a "NYR rule" in the next cba that will require a compensatory pick from a team that signs someone else's draftee as a fa (if fa was tendered an offer or something).

Won't happen that way, rights to players expire all the time

Besides only sometimes is this really a case where team wants player but he waits and walks

Something like this would clearly show what teams and players really want
A) as exclusive rights are expiring, Require teams to formally offer a ELC deal, sorta like QO for an RFA, if they really want that player

b]but if they do, they have to reserve a contract slot for as long as offer is open

C) Then make it binding til Nov 1st

If player wants to wait it out, to be ufa, he starts behind in his first pro season

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I've never heard anyone other than fans complain about the setup. I don really think it's an issue, or that it's enough of an issue that anyone would consider making it a point in negotiations. Like when the owners do a bargaining survey prior to negotiations on the next CBA, you might have three or four owners mention it and even then it will probably be low on their list of priorities. And because of that it won't even come up in negotiations.

It's hilarious. It's like people don't understand that this existed well before the current league structure.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's hilarious. It's like people don't understand that this existed well before the current league structure.

Right. And people always call it a "loophole," either not understanding what a loophole is or not understanding that this mechanism isn't one. It's somewhat unique in American sports but it's not some unintentional oversight.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Right. And people always call it a "loophole," either not understanding what a loophole is or not understanding that this mechanism isn't one. It's somewhat unique in American sports but it's not some unintentional oversight.

Correct. It's existed for years. Why would they change it? CHL players can also refuse to sign with their draft teams. So can foreign-born players.

"Loophole"? Hardly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad