Larry Brooks: Rangers a Finalist for Kerfoot (Update: Kerfoot Chooses Colorado)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Yeah can't believe a young man, taking time to think about his future, which direction he would like to go, what presents the best opportunity both short and LONG term for him and his family.
(Yes this is sarcasm and my eyes have rolled so much that I can see my own rear end without a mirror)

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
... bold, bold choice. On one hand, they hardly have enough willing bodies to ice a team so maybe it's a quick route to the NHL. On the other hand, what kind of development are you doing to get there?

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
The Avs are fairly weak, so he'll definitely stand a good chance of getting into the lineup there.. i imagine that is the thought process... he would have had a hard time sneaking into ours.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Frankly, it's probably the best choice in terms of early playing time. Good for him. I don't really see how he would fit in with us, here.

Good choice if you want to play in the NHL next year. He might have made the Rangers but he should definitely make the Avalanche. OTOH forget about the playoffs for the next several years.

Personally I think he had a realizable chance of making the Rangers with their weakened center position but...he did not have top 6 potential for us IMO. To me he looks like an Eric Christensen type--maybe a little bit better.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Good chance to play, closer to home. Good luck to him.

Guess Duchene is expendable. Holden plus a second? :laugh:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Not gonna lie, I had to look him up.

Looking strictly at their profiles at HockeyDB, why was Kerfoot considered the better prospect? Their numbers were roughly the same last year with Byron 2 inches taller while Kerfoot is 10 pounds heavier. Is it a ECAC vs. Hockey East thing?

Not any big insight on my part
The most discussed forwards/centers in the Aug 15th litter were
Toninato(signed w Colorado)
Kerfoot (signed w Colorado)
And Byron

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
Frankly, it's probably the best choice in terms of early playing time. Good for him. I don't really see how he would fit in with us, here.

The biggest plus for him playing here would have been the opportunity to play with skilled wingers on lower lines. As seen with other recent pickups (i.e. Hayes, Vesey), there is immediate opportunity to play, learn and grow as a young player while not chewing off too much where it can potentially stunt your growth. Nonetheless, it's hard to not see why Colorado is a good choice for him too.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Good choice if you want to play in the NHL next year. He might have made the Rangers but he should definitely make the Avalanche. OTOH forget about the playoffs for the next several years.

Personally I think he had a realizable chance of making the Rangers with their weakened center position but...he did not have top 6 potential for us IMO. To me he looks like an Eric Christensen type--maybe a little bit better.

I liked him, but I saw his upside being more in a Dom Moore kind of role. A smart player, capable of putting up some points.

Would've liked to have added him to the stable.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Kerfoot is kaput.

giphy.gif

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Not gonna lie, I had to look him up.

Looking strictly at their profiles at HockeyDB, why was Kerfoot considered the better prospect? Their numbers were roughly the same last year with Byron 2 inches taller while Kerfoot is 10 pounds heavier. Is it a ECAC vs. Hockey East thing?

The reality is that NCAA production is a really terrible indicator of NHL offensive ability. Tons of players who were average scorers in the NCAA made it in the NHL, while kids who scored 60+ point seasons become ECHLers.

To the person who brought up Dom Moore- the problem with that comparison is that Moore has always been an above average skater. Kerfoot is not. He's a purely cerebral player with decent hands for deflections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad