Larry Brooks: Rangers a Finalist for Kerfoot (Update: Kerfoot Chooses Colorado)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Please get Duchene.
Please get Duchene.
Please get Duchene.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I would think it's:

1. Zibanejad
2. Hayes
3/4. Desharnais/Andersson/Nieves

Or maybe someone not yet on the roster for one of the last two spots.

Yeah, this is about right.

I don't think ZBad-Hayes was ever going to change. It's the 3-4C that has been in flux.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yep. I imagine that they now move forward with the backup plan, whatever that involves.

I think they wanted him because he potentially helped address a need, but I can't believe they were ever banking on him being a core part of the team this year.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I like Kerfoot, and I would've liked to have added him, but I also worry about over-selling some of these college free agents as well.

If some people think you're upset with some of the flaws that highly regarded players like Hayes and Vesey have, the shine would wear off these guys pretty quickly.

It's not to say that they're bad prospects, but they aren't exactly top of the food chain either.

They are varying degrees of decent, and they're available to sign. That's what makes them appealing. Every once in a while you find a diamond in the rough and they become more than an AHLer or a journeyman fourth line player. Clearly, that is every team's goal.

As for Duchene, despite his skill set, there are still a lot of question marks there. At various times he's looked like a 30 goal, 75 point center, and at other times more of a 20 goal, 55-60 point center. Obviously that's a significant difference in today's NHL.

It goes without saying that any team trading for him is going to have to feel pretty confident they are getting the higher end model, at the price they are going to likely pay, and that Duchene can actually lift the players around him --- something I'm not yet convinced he can do.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I certainly hope the Kerfoot wasn't their go-to plan.....

It probably wasnt, but they wanted to wait on it to resolve anyway because if Kerfoot signed, then that's one less SPC available, and the Rangers are already at 48, IIRC.

Let's say they had two players in mind to signing to SPCs, but they were also talking with Kerfoot. Can't sign all 3, because that puts them at 51 contracts, which is not allowed. So maybe one plan would be sign Kerfoot and then pick one of the two others. Now that it's resolved, Plan B is just sign those two other players.

This close to the max contracts makes decisions tougher and requires holding out for things like Kerfoot to resolve.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Who's even remaining as an UFA center? Like, is there anyone out there? My assumption is that if they want to acquire another NHL-caliber center that they'd need to swing a trade.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Who's even remaining as an UFA center? Like, is there anyone out there? My assumption is that if they want to acquire another NHL-caliber center that they'd need to swing a trade.

I was thinking about this earlier and was drawing blanks?

Cullen might be the only one I can think of.

I think if the Rangers are getting a center, they're looking at a trade.

But I have a sinking feeling that the market for someone like Holden isn't as high as they'd probably like, at least not yet.

Vegas is having a heck of a time trying to move defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad