Larry Brooks: Rangers a Finalist for Kerfoot (Update: Kerfoot Chooses Colorado)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Not Butcher? :shakehead

If you're Butcher why choose the Rangers? McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Smith, Skjei, Staal, Holden, ADA, Bereglazov, Pionk, Graves, Day. I'd choose somewhere with an easier path to the NHL.

That's why Kerfoot makes sense. The Rangers have a need for most likely the next couple of years. They have a couple of center spots up for grabs. I doubt any team will just and him a NHL spot but there sin't a much better opportunity out there where he could possibly join a competitive team with a very deep set of NHL wingers to help insulate him and that has a need for the position he plays.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Cool. Would just give us an extra option. I'd also be less-concerned about throwing him to the wolves than I would with Lias.

Can't say I know much about him. Solid numbers, small frame.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm not sure I understand the small frame comment. It's not like he is coming from Juniors where he is a smaller guy playing against some younger players. He has played in NCAA's for 4 years and done very well which is the more physical league.

He's not huge, but's he's also not 5' 3"

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Not Butcher? :shakehead

Pionk is better than Butcher

Pionk was the guy NYR wanted and they got him
add BearGloves, TonyD, DayO, Zbo, Pedrie to Graves and Gilmour and another yoing D obvi not the need to fill

i preferred Toninato, this kid is a smurf,
but he has earned a look
they predicted a slip after Vesey left, but he progressed

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The thing about Kerfoot that's interesting is he probably tops out as a 3rd or 4th line center (IF he makes it). That's precisely what this team needs. Kind of hard to think of a better fit for both parties.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He's just like Vesey, but probably even worse.

He isn't much of a prospect, but he's being crazy hyped because it's August and he's there.

I don't think he's being "crazy hyped" at all. I've been seeing a lot more about Butcher. Neither of them have received any huge amount of attention though, and Butcher even won the Hobey Baker.

If he's generating noise it's because he's a guy whose stock has risen considerably since being drafted. He had a good college career and comes with nice reports on his puck skills and vision. As a free asset he's certainly worth a little bit of press.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The Rangers have an excellent track record with college players. Stepan. McDonagh. Hagelin. Kreider. Hayes. Vesey. I read Kerfoot doesn't want to play at home.

Yes I read that article as well...

Really do think he signs here

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I don't know how anyone can say he's worse than Vesey. Of course Vesey was the more heralded player with the more illustrious career, but that doesn't mean he'll be a better player. The jury is out on that.

Vesey was more highly-regarded. That's fair to say.

Kerfoot has trended better from years 1 thru 4 in the NCAA, whereas Vesey had a breakout year and then came down to earth...

Think they are just about as good as eachother--middle 6 players.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=155338
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=139246

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Kerfoot has trended better from years 1 thru 4 in the NCAA, whereas Vesey had a breakout year and then came down to earth...

Think they are just about as good as eachother--middle 6 players.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=155338
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=139246

Maybe so.

The point I was making is that we still don't know what Vesey really is (or maybe we do?) and we definitely don't know what Kerfoot is. Who is "better" is a story that's yet to be written.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
I'm not sure I understand the small frame comment. It's not like he is coming from Juniors where he is a smaller guy playing against some younger players. He has played in NCAA's for 4 years and done very well which is the more physical league.

He's not huge, but's he's also not 5' 3"

Fair gripe, I used it in conjunction with the reports that he's not a great skater. Both have to be mentioned though. From what I'm reading his skills don't make-up for his average frame.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
If you're Butcher why choose the Rangers? McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Smith, Skjei, Staal, Holden, ADA, Bereglazov, Pionk, Graves, Day. I'd choose somewhere with an easier path to the NHL.

That's why Kerfoot makes sense. The Rangers have a need for most likely the next couple of years. They have a couple of center spots up for grabs. I doubt any team will just and him a NHL spot but there sin't a much better opportunity out there where he could possibly join a competitive team with a very deep set of NHL wingers to help insulate him and that has a need for the position he plays.
Yeah, I was joking that I expect the Rangers to sign every worthwhile college UFA.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't think Kerfoot is projected to have the upside of Horcoff. At least, not Horcoff in his prime. Sounds like most see Kerfoot as a bottom-sixer.

You know there seems to be a couple of paths he could take:
1) his offensive game continues to progress and translates to the NHL
- Nick Bonino-like player
2) His offensive game doesn't exactly translate and his size doesn't allow for him to be a defensive center
- Stephane Da Costa

I think that's the range. Even if he falls somewhere in the middle, that's a good 4C

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
You know what else I wonder... What was Kerfoot's role this past year?

Also his 46 point season could be an outlier, as he shot 16.2%... I'd assume if that regresses he is more of an assist guy.... still, 29 assists is nothing to sneeze at, not at this level.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The majority of these guys suck, lets just be real about it. This becomes a sweepstakes in the offseason because its a free prospect and there's not much news in the summer, but rarely are any of these guys top 100 NHL prospects outside the NHL or anything like that. Vesey was, Hayes was, but those guys are not available every year. Most of these guys are fringe NHL'ers, if even that. There's a good chance Kerfoot, Butcher, whoever's next will not be regular NHL'ers. We can add them to the prospect pool, but its likely not some big victory.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There are different tiers of guys that sign. Jimmy Vesey was no Kevin Hayes. Vinni Lettieri is likely no Neal Pionk. Kerfoot is probably in the Pionk tier of players.

It's a lottery ticket for sure, but Kerfoot is an interesting if unspectacular prospect.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't bank on Kerfoot making the roster right away, but you always take the free asset.

IMO Jimmy's got more upside than he showed, but he needs to use his teammates and show that he can play a two-way game. It's a contract year for him, so I'm expecting a better output.

If a guy is elite or has top tier upside, and is going to be a baby UFA... you can bet teams line up to get him.

Kerfoot isn't that guy.

Jimmy was considered an instant top 9 winger with 20 goal upside. Jultz... well the real Jultz is in PIT now.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The NYR better do something to address their Center ice issues because you've got two guys known more for their inconsistency than their talent at the top end and absolutely nothing at the bottom end. Desharnais if a 4C fine but as a 3C? No way and certainly not good enough to move up if one of top two guys gets hurt.

I like miller at center but management doesn't so they better figure this out. Are they really that high on Lias coming in? that's asking a lot.

Nieves on his best day is a 4C

I absolutely love what we did with our blue line. Completely rebuilt it lot of studs on it. Very exciting. And I really like our wingers and Zibanejad.

But I don't trust our goaltending at all and we've got very little down the middle. That's a recipe for a tough year.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
There are different tiers of guys that sign. Jimmy Vesey was no Kevin Hayes. Vinni Lettieri is likely no Neal Pionk. Kerfoot is probably in the Pionk tier of players.

It's a lottery ticket for sure, but Kerfoot is an interesting if unspectacular prospect.

Seems like Pionk was a bit higher tier of college FA but maybe I'm overrating him based on the press he's gotten. Smooth skating puck moving defenseman with a big shot, only 22 years old? Kind of a hot commodity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad