Trade: Rams acquire first overall pick

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Real winners: San Diego for getting the best player in the draft, and a pressing need, at 3rd.

Titans should still be able to get a decent tackle at 15 with either Conklin or Stanley.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'm not that old but I can't remember a single blockbuster trade that's actually worked out for the team moving up.

Long time ago, but the Tony Dorsett deal was a blockbuster that worked out very well for the Cowboys. Maybe the Watkins trade for Buffalo, but it's still early.

There aren't a lot, that's for sure.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Carson will be himself. And I have no doubt he will succeed. He loves having doubters like yourself. Yes this will be his biggest stage but he has passed all the stages thus far. Time will tell.

I'm not a doubter. Just not worth that type of draft capital.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I don't understand how Jeff Fisher is so teflon. Mediocre coach for 20 years and a poor GM to boot.

Much better coaches have been fired in a quarter of the time this guy gets.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
This is a deal made by the marketing department. They'll draft a dude #1 and try to make him into a Hollywood star to fire up ticket sales the first season or two.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'm not that old but I can't remember a single blockbuster trade that's actually worked out for the team moving up.

Not sure if you meant only QBs, but there have been a few that maybe weren't classified as blockbusters.

1997 - Rams traded up from #6 to #1 for Orlando Pace but didn't give up a huge bounty.

2000 - Washington traded a couple of firsts to move up to #3 for Chris Samuels. Career was cut short by injury, but he had a solid career off the top of my head.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't understand how Jeff Fisher is so teflon. Mediocre coach for 20 years and a poor GM to boot.

Much better coaches have been fired in a quarter of the time this guy gets.

Black magic. Seriously, he's like .500 for his career and has done nothing since 1999.

As for the OP - first time since 2004 the #1 pick has been traded, but that was only because Eli wouldn't play for SD.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
I'm not a doubter. Just not worth that type of draft capital.

Got ya. Like I said it is a ton to give up for the number one pick but Tennessee did say it would take a lot for them to consider a trade. Until either Wentz or Goff prove it was a good move the Titans are the winners for now.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Well it seemed like you were making the point that this was a good trade based on those guys.

Julio Jones and Sammy Watkins are the only 2 I can think of.

Maybe RG3...it's a lot to give up for 1 year of an awesome player, but what a year that was.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Maybe the Watkins trade for Buffalo, but it's still early.

It's not like Watkins is horrible, but they could've stayed at 9 and had their choice of Odell Beckham Jr, Aaron Donald, Anthony Barr, and others... plus their first the next year.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
How some of the experts have the Rams picking.

Mike Florio - Wentz
Mike Mayock - Wentz
John Clayton - Wentz
Daniel Jeremiah - Wentz
Lance Zierlien - Wentz
Sam Farmer - Wentz
Jason La Canfora - Wentz
Chris Collinsworth - Wentz
Benjamin Allbright - Wentz
Adam Schefter - Goff
Michael Silver - Goff
Matt Miller - Goff
Colin Cowherd - Goff

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Schefter is rarely wrong but all the Goff talk today comes off as an intentional leak by someone.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
CBS Sports is saying that the big winner of this trade might be the Dallas Cowboys. With the top 2 picks likely being QBs it now looks like OT Laremy Tunsil will fall to San Diego at # 3 leaving DB Jalen Ramsey available to the Cowboys at # 4. :handclap:

Yup. SD and DAL were huge winners along with TEN. SD gets their franchise tackle, and DAL gets a secondary guy that they badly need.

As for Silver thinking that the Rams will take Goff, of course he does.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Goff's stock is way too low for the kind of season he just had. That man is legit and it's pretty cool story getting drafted in the same state as your college, at 1st overall.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I like Goff more than Wentz simply because he's almost two years younger. Wentz probably has a higher ceiling, but he'll be 24 late in the season.

Like I said in the draft thread, watch Goff's ASU tape (sigh...). He was brilliant in that game... granted, against the worst pass defense in program history, but still...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad