Trade: Rams acquire first overall pick

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Outside of Victor Cruz for 2 seasons, and OBJ the last two, Eli has never had any elite offensive options. Like the poster above stated, Rivers has had LT, Gates, VJax etc. Still I think 11th all time in yards.

Big Ben is the absolute perfect fit for the Steelers. He just seems like their ideal QB.

When he's keeping a low profile off the field.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Outside of Victor Cruz for 2 seasons, and OBJ the last two, Eli has never had any elite offensive options. Like the poster above stated, Rivers has had LT, Gates, VJax etc. Still I think 11th all time in yards.

He had Shockey, Plaxico, Tiki Barber, and Hakeem Nicks for a few seasons at various points as well. Rivers has probably played with more talent but it's not by a wide margin.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Ive heard that Elis numbers have been affected by playing in a very windy stadium. Id like to see the number comparison for how he matches up against other qbs in that stadium.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

He's also never missed a game in 12 years

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Giants would have taken Roethlisberger, so they probably would have been fine either way. Probably still my favorite draft day though. Ernie Accorsi held the future of three QBs (and three franchises) in his hands.

Worked out better for him this time.:sarcasm:

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Eli's got pro bowls, 2 rings, 2 super bowl MVP's, 40k passing yards, top 10 in touchdowns and counting.
People write off Eli cause he ain't Payton or he looks dumb as **** but he's carved out his own legacy in the NFL believe it or not.

Lucky or not, you'd rather be lucky with the rings than be HOF talent without any.
In any case, he's HOF bound when his career is done.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Eli's got pro bowls, 2 rings, 2 super bowl MVP's, 40k passing yards, top 10 in touchdowns and counting.
People write off Eli cause he ain't Payton or he looks dumb as **** but he's carved out his own legacy in the NFL believe it or not.

Lucky or not, you'd rather be lucky with the rings than be HOF talent without any.
Not in this day and age. It's all about passer rating. :sarcasm:

rkwittem

May 13, 2013
Fargo, ND
Carson will be himself. And I have no doubt he will succeed. He loves having doubters like yourself. Yes this will be his biggest stage but he has passed all the stages thus far. Time will tell.

Those stages are ND hs football- probably the worst in the country- he will be the first player from the state drafted in the last 25 years- and the Missouri Valley Conference. He can go ahead and print this post and put it on his locker and bathroom mirror for "motivation" all he wants. He just has to outproduce 6 draft picks to justify this pick.

He played for a team that dominated before he arrived and after he got hurt. There was no discernible improvement or drop-off from their team with him available or not. How have USC's and Alabama's QB's done in the NFL? Those teams have Carson Palmer, Joe Namath, and a bunch of Greg McIlroy/Matt Leinart to their name.

Put me in the "doubters" camp. Trading 6 picks for anything less than a sure thing at QB (which comes around once every 20 years) is what gets coaches fired, GMs let go, and drives fans away from the team. Unless this pick is a HR, the Rams better get cozy with last place in the division. It doesn't make any sense to me. He's the NFL Draft media's poster boy this year and a product of the hype train.

Personally, I think it would be FASCINATING if Wentz went to LA and the 49ers got Jared Goff. :popcorn:

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Shockey & Nicks weren't elite.

I never said they were but they were good targets for Eli to throw to. Nicks was solid with the Giants. Shockey was pretty close to being an elite player, he went to four pro bowls and was an all-pro once. Not as good as Gates but not that far behind him when he was in his prime.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What I remember from that draft specifically is Roethlisberger's agent looking like a complete moron at the draft table.He was whinning for a good 90 minutes before Pittsburgh picked him.

The NFL Network special on that draft is great.

I watched parts of that one again this weekend. Leigh Steinberg does come off as a whiner in general, but he did lay out the scenario perfectly for Roethlisberger before the Draft.

Back then, the rookie contracts were completely out of whack so there were huge financial implications between going #4 to #11. Rivers got 6 years, 40 million at #4 and Roethlisberger got 6 years, 22.5 mil. Steinberg probably knew how much they stood to lose and there wasn't much he could do about it. I'd probably be whining too.

I forget which draft it was, but my friends were walked in and didn't get the appeal of watching it. I then mentioned how those guys in the green room were suddenly losing 500K+ each time they weren't picked. Suddenly it became more interesting to them.

Their 2005 Draft retrospective also had a nice explanation as to why so many of the teams in the middle of the 1st passed on Aaron Rodgers (ie, purely salary cap considerations).

Worked out better for him this time.:sarcasm:

The 30 for 30 on the 1983 Draft was interesting, especially since it was before my time. I suppose things happened so quickly, but I wonder if Accorsi had time to consider a lesser package as Marino was dropping?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The 30 for 30 on the 1983 Draft was interesting, especially since it was before my time. I suppose things happened so quickly, but I wonder if Accorsi had time to consider a lesser package as Marino was dropping?

Sounds like he could never get on the same page as Kush and the wildly erratic Irsay.

I think Rozelle put some pressure on Irsay to get a deal done to keep Elway from findin is way to the USFL and avoid having the #1 hold out.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I watched parts of that one again this weekend. Leigh Steinberg does come off as a whiner in general, but he did lay out the scenario perfectly for Roethlisberger before the Draft.

Back then, the rookie contracts were completely out of whack so there were huge financial implications between going #4 to #11. Rivers got 6 years, 40 million at #4 and Roethlisberger got 6 years, 22.5 mil. Steinberg probably knew how much they stood to lose and there wasn't much he could do about it. I'd probably be whining

He was just sooooo unprofessional during that whole waiting moment. Myself I'm someone who's other people's opinions about myself matters a lot, I would of fired him on the spot for how he acted. Sure the financial implications were huge, but the honor, happiness and pride of actually being selected in a 1st round of an NFL Draft completely went out the door, because of his agent who was crying for 2 hours.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Not a huge fan of certain accolades. These all star games have become popularity contests. Don't fans now vote? Also when top QBa can't go due to injury or SB appearances it opens up a spot. The first SB MVP definitely should have gone to that defense, more important that dline. He wouldn't have beat Brady that year in an offensive slugfest. That Patriots offense was something else. Rings are a team accomplishment. As for yards I'm not a fan of that either because how do you compare him versus a guy like Units? Different game and even rules.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Sounds like he could never get on the same page as Kush and the wildly erratic Irsay.

I think Rozelle put some pressure on Irsay to get a deal done to keep Elway from findin is way to the USFL and avoid having the #1 hold out.

Irsay was a jackass. I don't understand why the GM didn't just take Marino though. That draft was crazy. There were 6 QBs taken. Todd Blackledge was a bust. So was another guy at the bottom. The 30 for 30 on that was great. I can't believe how far Marino dropped. I wonder if you ask the bills, dolphins or broncos if they could have either of the other 2 instead would they? Especially the 90s bills. If they had Marino over Elway they probably win those SBs

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Irsay was a jackass. I don't understand why the GM didn't just take Marino though.
Elway was a Lindros/Crosby type prospect. If anyone else had Blackledge second on their board I doubt they'd cop to it now. From the sound of it Kush didn't have much use for Elway anyway (John's father and Kush had hated each other for years). Broncos owner Edgar Kaiser found the right lever making that lopsided trade with Irsay.
That draft was crazy. There were 6 QBs taken. Todd Blackledge was a bust. So was another guy at the bottom. The 30 for 30 on that was great. I can't believe how far Marino dropped. I wonder if you ask the bills, dolphins or broncos if they could have either of the other 2 instead would they? Especially the 90s bills. If they had Marino over Elway they probably win those SBs

Not a chance. Dan Reeves was an albatross around Elway's neck and never added talent. Had he drafted Marino, Reeves wouldn't have let Marino throw the ball and Dan would have been reliant on his quick release to cope with the bad O-Line.

Might be revisionist history, but Reeves indicated he picked Hinton in part as a trading chit for Elway. Had Kaiser not pulled off the trade, we'd be lamenting we didn't pick Marino at #4 even today.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Irsay was a jackass. I don't understand why the GM didn't just take Marino though. That draft was crazy. There were 6 QBs taken. Todd Blackledge was a bust. So was another guy at the bottom. The 30 for 30 on that was great. I can't believe how far Marino dropped. I wonder if you ask the bills, dolphins or broncos if they could have either of the other 2 instead would they? Especially the 90s bills. If they had Marino over Elway they probably win those SBs

1st

Ken O'Brien was not a bust

I didn't like how Marino and others acted during the Ken O'Brien part

O'Brien wasn't a terrible QB and they came off as arrogant that any team could possibly like him as a QB over Marino at draft

O'Brien had some good years for Jets

2nd

I doubt very much the Broncos would prefer Dan Marino over John Elway ,, And Jim Kelly was about on par with Dan Marino after Dan's first big years in NFL

Reality was for several years Kelly was superior QB and doubt very much the Bills trade Kelly for Marino as it didn't really matter who was QB in those SB for most part especially vs Cowboys

The NFC >>>> AFC thru 80's and early 90's

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Elway was a Lindros/Crosby type prospect. If anyone else had Blackledge second on their board I doubt they'd cop to it now. From the sound of it Kush didn't have much use for Elway anyway (John's father and Kush had hated each other for years). Broncos owner Edgar Kaiser found the right lever making that lopsided trade with Irsay.

Not a chance. Dan Reeves was an albatross around Elway's neck and never added talent. Had he drafted Marino, Reeves wouldn't have let Marino throw the ball and Dan would have been reliant on his quick release to cope with the bad O-Line.

Might be revisionist history, but Reeves indicated he picked Hinton in part as a trading chit for Elway. Had Kaiser not pulled off the trade, we'd be lamenting we didn't pick Marino at #4 even today.

I don't disagree with what you're saying but knowing he wasn't gunna sign there should have just took another QB. I'm not even sold that Elway was the best of that class even though he did win 2 titles. Marino certainly could be an argument. I think had he spent more time in the NFL Kelly could have had an argument.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
1st

Ken O'Brien was not a bust

I didn't like how Marino and others acted during the Ken O'Brien part

O'Brien wasn't a terrible QB and they came off as arrogant that any team could possibly like him as a QB over Marino at draft

O'Brien had some good years for Jets

2nd

I doubt very much the Broncos would prefer Dan Marino over John Elway ,, And Jim Kelly was about on par with Dan Marino after Dan's first big years in NFL

Reality was for several years Kelly was superior QB and doubt very much the Bills trade Kelly for Marino as it didn't really matter who was QB in those SB for most part especially vs Cowboys

The NFC >>>> AFC thru 80's and early 90's

Not talking about Ken O'Brien. There was a 6th QB taken towards the end of the first round whose name I can't recall at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad