News Article: Raffl offers more than you think

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah the Allsvenskan is as competitive as I can remember (the top half as you mentioned). More and more teams are getting promoted to, and staying in the SHL.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Is Raffl really that much faster then the rest of the team that Giroux couldnt produce without him? Its impossible to believe thats the case, but if true...the Flyers need to move some players.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Is Raffl really that much faster then the rest of the team that Giroux couldnt produce without him? Its impossible to believe thats the case, but if true...the Flyers need to move some players.

Wha? Are you insinuating that it's just speed that is making the line successful?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeah the Allsvenskan is as competitive as I can remember (the top half as you mentioned). More and more teams are getting promoted to, and staying in the SHL.

I think it is actually better hockey to watch than the SHL as well... more freeflowing.

And yeh, last year Leksands, Sodertalje, Djugardens and Orebro looked as good as bottom SHL teams! Teams like Malmo, Bjorkloven, Timra and Rogle have all shown from time to time in the last ~10 years as well that they can play in the SHL with only adding a few players once promoted.

Leksands went up last year and are 2 points off 3rd in the table 60% through the season. And while Orebro are last they have shown they can compete and beat good teams on their night.

Ryno is also 5th in SHL scoring... Raffl outscored him last season! (Ryno is on exactly the same PPG pace in the SHL as he was in the Allsvenskan as well.)

If anything the SHL should probably expand to maybe 14 teams. Though ofc there are financial reasons not to, and it may dilute the league slightly.

Last edited:

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I hope Raffl gets the chance to stay on that first line. I say we ride the hot hand until it goes cold and right now it seems like his skillset is more of a fit at this level than a McGinn, Akeson or any other Phantom they might bring up.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
“It’s nice to get the chance to score and to put it in was even nicer,†Raffl said. “They threw me out there once in awhile (in Sweden). So I had been in this situation before.â€

It was later found out that he was being a bit facetious and that he was often used in shootouts in Sweden, which made his guarantee just before his attempt so perfect.

“He’s a funny guy,†said Giroux who extended his scoring streak to a career-best eight games (5-10-15) with a pair of assists . “Right before his attempt I [tried encouraging him] and said, ‘Let’s go Raff.’ He looked at us and said, ‘I got this boys.’ Just the way he said it, he’s a funny guy. He’s done so many good things for us since he’s been called up.â€

As well as being a pretty good hockey player Raffl seems to be a more interesting character on his own than the entire Red Wings roster, not much surprise given his Dad!

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
I am gonna get railed on for this, but so far from my view Raffl has shown more in all of his 26 games as a Flyer so far then BSchenn has his entire time here. Yes, it is a small sample for Raffl, who is also older, in comparison with BSchenn, but I am more of pointing out that I am more impressed with Raffl in his lesser games played than BSchenn. Of course, since BSchenn is supposed to be a power forward and has only played 148 games I will cut him more slack in his development.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I am gonna get railed on for this, but so far from my view Raffl has shown more in all of his 26 games as a Flyer so far then BSchenn has his entire time here. Yes, it is a small sample for Raffl, who is also older, in comparison with BSchenn, but I am more of pointing out that I am more impressed with Raffl in his lesser games played than BSchenn. Of course, since BSchenn is supposed to be a power forward and has only played 148 games I will cut him more slack in his development.

I actually agree with you here. Raffl seems like he has a better feel for the game than Brayden. I think their skill level is pretty equal overall. Raffl does the right things more times than not. Brayden still seems kind of... lost, even though he's managing to put up points.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

I am not going to "rail" you. But I am not ready to say #10 is a bust. Give the young man time. The effort is there just let him grow into the power forward he will be for us. It is nice to see all this young talent on this team. Let them grow together. I really like the way this team is shaping up. With the talent coming down the pipeline this team will only become better. What is really nice is that we or not worried about our net anymore. Every night our tenders are giving this team a shot to win. I must admit, Raffl has really impressed me also. Just the way he seems to fit in with the club. This team seems to be really tight and that means a lot when it comes to be a winning hockey club. I thought this team needed a scoring winger along with a top defenseman. Now I think a hammer on the backend is all the team is lacking, but time will tell. For now with the power play clicking this team is a SOB to play against.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Now, I'm really starting to like Raffl as much as the next guy...

But...

Raffl, at 25, is at 28 point pace in an 82 game season looking his best.
Schenn, at 22, is at 43 point pace in an 82 game season looking lost.

I mean, we also need to keep some other things in mind. Schenn was pulled back and forth between the NHL and AHL/CHL with LA. Then he had two half seasons here. He has been going back and forth between center and wing basically since the start of this season because of Lecavalier's injury. Inconsistencies are never good for young player development. At times he looks awesome and at other times he's invisible. His inconsistencies on the ice are pretty representative of his inconsistencies off the ice. I think he needs time to cement his role.

Another thing to keep in mind is that we're asking him, a traditional two-way physical center, to go from a Mike Richards-esque player to a Shane Doan-esque player. They may seem similar, but their responsibilities on and away from the play are different. Schenn has to be better without the puck in the offensive zone than he was ever asked to before.

At age 22:
Schenn - 0.45 PPG (148 GP)
Richards - 0.67 PPG (211 GP)
Doan - 0.34 PPG (330 GP) *DPE

Wingers, in general, score less than centers so if Schenn can improve on that pace by the end of the season, I think he'll be looking at pretty alright numbers, especially if he can get to 0.60 PPG. That's 49 points this year, when he's already at 20 through 38 (on pace for 43 at 0.53 PPG). I think that's fairly doable.

What we all want to see is him break out and be more consistent, but I think that'll take time.

I think it would be foolish to give up on Schenn, either Schenn really. I mentioned similar things about JVR...and Coburn...and others. I think patience is the key here, and though I know it's easier to wait on guys like Couturier, Read, and Raffl who are flashier at times (flashier not always denoting skill)...

Still though. We were on the cusp of thinking about trading Giroux earlier this year when he was putting up points just being invisible. Players that find ways to put up points when invisible will find awesome ways to put up points when they're on. We just need to see more of that second gear out of Schenn.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Raffl is playing some great hockey, and I hope Berube maxes out his effectiveness. However, the fact that he cost nothing to acquire also means that the team can cut him if things go south in a significant way.

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
I am not going to "rail" you. But I am not ready to say #10 is a bust. Give the young man time. The effort is there just let him grow into the power forward he will be for us. It is nice to see all this young talent on this team. Let them grow together. I really like the way this team is shaping up. With the talent coming down the pipeline this team will only become better. What is really nice is that we or not worried about our net anymore. Every night our tenders are giving this team a shot to win. I must admit, Raffl has really impressed me also. Just the way he seems to fit in with the club. This team seems to be really tight and that means a lot when it comes to be a winning hockey club. I thought this team needed a scoring winger along with a top defenseman. Now I think a hammer on the backend is all the team is lacking, but time will tell. For now with the power play clicking this team is a SOB to play against.

Hopefully the cap increases enough that the team can keep its young talent when it comes time to pay them.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
I actually agree with you here. Raffl seems like he has a better feel for the game than Brayden. I think their skill level is pretty equal overall. Raffl does the right things more times than not. Brayden still seems kind of... lost, even though he's managing to put up points.

Yeah, I think it just boils down to hockey IQ. As I said before, I think BSchenn has little hockey IQ/hockey sense. Raffl on the other hand seems like he has good hockey sense.

Also, I couldn't care less about point pace, especially after only 35 or so games in an 82 game season. I was only saying Raffl has impressed me more in his 26 games than BSchenn has in his 1.5+ years here. Same can be said about Couturier. He impressed me more times in his rookie year than BSchenn has his entire tenure here.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
DeKeyser would have been great here. :(
Sure.
But it's not like Flyers scouting did not recognize the talent of players like DeKeyser or J.Schultz, two of the most recent undrafted FA impact players. Players with such potential playing in any NA minor league get a lot of attention and 30 Nhl teams to chose from.

Better try to find some under-the-radar, late bloomer in one of the many 2nd tier Euro leagues...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad