News Article: Raffl offers more than you think

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think a healthy Umberger can play at least as well as VandeVelde did this season. I like White as the 4C cause he's better on faceoffs than Bellemare, but those two could flip positions without much trouble.

VandeVelde can skate still though. Umbergers quickness is not NHL calibre anymore.

Kind of crazy that this guy was brought in because of his "skating."

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
VandeVelde can skate still though. Umbergers quickness is not NHL calibre anymore.

Kind of crazy that this guy was brought in because of his "skating."

Let's see how RJ comes back after his hip surgery. He wasn't that bad this year, and he should be better/faster. If they don't want to buy RJ out, they have to play him at 3/4LW.

viggen

Mar 22, 2013
Carinthia
Raffl (who plays 1st line center for Austria at the WC) is second best in Face Off stats, (Giroux only 13th), maybe Michael can show Giroux some tricks :sarcasm:, seriously Raffl really offers more than you think, really impressive...

l4n6gigg.png

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Let's see how RJ comes back after his hip surgery. He wasn't that bad this year, and he should be better/faster. If they don't want to buy RJ out, they have to play him at 3/4LW.

If Umberger is healthy, he's probably the first choice on the 3rd line at LW, that would give Laughton two physical wingers.

White - PEB - VV on the 4th line
Vinnie exiled.
Cousins competing for a job, the rest of the young wingers with the Phantoms to work on their games.

If they add a NHL ready winger at #7, and Leier and AK can develop into decent wing prospects, by 2016-17 this team might be ready to seriously compete.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
If Umberger is healthy, he's probably the first choice on the 3rd line at LW, that would give Laughton two physical wingers.

White - PEB - VV on the 4th line
Vinnie exiled.
Cousins competing for a job, the rest of the young wingers with the Phantoms to work on their games.

If they add a NHL ready winger at #7, and Leier and AK can develop into decent wing prospects, by 2016-17 this team might be ready to seriously compete.

Agreed, that Leier and Aube-Kubel are going to be very good pros, depending on where they slot. Don't forget Lindblom and Fazleev who both have potential to be players too.

All of them have hockey sense to spare, which means the team is going to be smart and fast...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I've yet to figure out how a guy who is so good keeping the puck in deep and winning battles along the walls didn't have more assists. Raffl is an interesting case.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

I am not well versed in the world of advanced stats, but these numbers seem to indicate that Raffl is pretty much inarguably a top line forward. Could you post some other players charts to see what they look like? I'm curious as to whether or not a player like Voracek or Giroux would have a similar looking chart, or maybe throw out someone like Brayden Schenn to see what his numbers look like visualized.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the site that does it. I'm not sure the info on these charts should be all that persuasive. You pick any random player and it looks like most guys border on first or second line players. Nazem Kadri's numbers on that chart make him look as good as Toronto fans believe he is...

KvNAkWj.png

GNzCzbV.png

I'd take Kadri over Giroux on those numbers.

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I am not well versed in the world of advanced stats, but these numbers seem to indicate that Raffl is pretty much inarguably a top line forward. Could you post some other players charts to see what they look like? I'm curious as to whether or not a player like Voracek or Giroux would have a similar looking chart, or maybe throw out someone like Brayden Schenn to see what his numbers look like visualized.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the site that does it. I'm not sure the info on these charts should be all that persuasive. You pick any random player and it looks like most guys border on first or second line players. Nazem Kadri's numbers on that chart make him look as good as Toronto fans believe he is...

KvNAkWj.png

GNzCzbV.png

I'd take Kadri over Giroux on those numbers.

And then you look at Andrew MacDonalds.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
And Luke Schenn's! These charts are not all that helpful IMO.

Did you look at MacDonalds? It looks pretty accurate to me. Hes getting top pairing ice time and playing below bottom pairing level. People rip on Schenn but he plays his role well. It's when hes asked to do more that he struggles. MacDonald is an AHL defensemen with a 5 year 25 million dollar contract.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The charts don't give any info on QoC or Zone starts, but they are a handy visual reference. This is Voracek's:

Untitled.jpg

You can see his CA60 number is much higher than Giroux's, but that's not because he's a better defensive player than Giroux. It's because Giroux takes a bunch of DZ faceoffs without Voracek on the ice. This is also one reason why Giroux gets more ice time.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Did you look at MacDonalds? It looks pretty accurate to me. Hes getting top pairing ice time and playing below bottom pairing level. People rip on Schenn but he plays his role well. It's when hes asked to do more that he struggles. MacDonald is an AHL defensemen with a 5 year 25 million dollar contract.

According to the charts. The charts also say Nazem Kadri is about as good as Giroux, Michael Raffl is a legit top liner, and Luke Schenn is scoring at the pace of a top four defenseman. MacDonald is not that bad and Schenn/Kadri/Raffl are not that good. These charts should not be relied to determine how good any of these players are.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
According to the charts. The charts also say Nazem Kadri is about as good as Giroux, Michael Raffl is a legit top liner, and Luke Schenn is scoring at the pace of a top four defenseman. MacDonald is not that bad and Schenn/Kadri/Raffl are not that good. These charts should not be relied to determine how good any of these players are.

Those charts are just a tool to help someone analyze a player's ability and requires someone to critically think to make good use out of advanced stats. You have to understand what situations the player was put in (i.e. zone starts, quality of competition, team mates).

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

G and Jake are also Second Liner Players based on Goals per 60 minutes output... and Jake also per Even Strength TOI played. :amazed:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
As they should be? They aren't goal scorers.

... Let me see if I have this correctly... unless you guys are being sarcastic... G and J should be considered Second Line Players who play on the First PP Unit?

That being the case... wouldn't you say that they are greatly overpaid by NHL current standards... and would be by arguably the 29 other Organizations in a heartbeat?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad